Many People Believe We Are Going To Get Free Health Insurance.

Rambler

So I`m in one of the offices at work today when the Supreme Court decision comes out and immediately half of the people in the office got excited with some of them talking about how nice it is going to be when they dont have to buy health insurance and how many people out their cant afford it and it dawned on me that many people have no clue what just went down. As I explained to some what the individual mandate was and what the penalties would be for not carrying health insurance many of them were shocked and then stated "the government aint got no right to tell me to buy insurance".

Here it was that many people (just where I was sitting) were all for Obama care before the ruling but once thay actually knew what Obama care meant they immediately turned against it. I somehow feel as if the is going to be the case when a large segment of the population actually understands what is in the bill.

Are they going to suddenly yearn for the days of more expensive insurance plans that could drop them when they actually needed them?

irrelevant

most people agree that something needed to be done to help our healthcare system. they just think that this is a bad idea.

your statement makes it an either or issue which is not the case

It's not going to be free of course. But If you are poor you will recieve medicaid or a voucher to buy a private plan on an exchange. If you have money you most likely already have insurance from your employer. If you are self-employed and are earning a decent income, you will have to buy insurance or pay a tax, however those plans will be cheaper and better than the plan scurrently available due to the new requirements and more open competition. Overall, it's better than our current system.

won't it be cheaper for a company to drop health insurance and pay the associated fee than to keep it? I thought I heard that somewhere

So I`m in one of the offices at work today when the Supreme Court decision comes out and immediately half of the people in the office got excited with some of them talking about how nice it is going to be when they dont have to buy health insurance and how many people out their cant afford it and it dawned on me that many people have no clue what just went down. As I explained to some what the individual mandate was and what the penalties would be for not carrying health insurance many of them were shocked and then stated "the government aint got no right to tell me to buy insurance".

Here it was that many people (just where I was sitting) were all for Obama care before the ruling but once thay actually knew what Obama care meant they immediately turned against it. I somehow feel as if the is going to be the case when a large segment of the population actually understands what is in the bill.

If the plan has the intended effect all those folks who could not afford those insurance costs will be better able to afford them once the program is implemented.

It's not going to be free of course. But If you are poor you will recieve medicaid or a voucher to buy a private plan on an exchange. If you have money you most likely already have insurance from your employer. If you are self-employed and are earning a decent income, you will have to buy insurance or pay a tax, however those plans will be cheaper and better than the plan scurrently available due to the new requirements and more open competition. Overall, it's better than our current system.

You are assuming that the market will not adjust. More products for more people at lower cost is just a pie in the sky prediction. You have guaranteed more people and lower prices but you cannot guarantee more supply or lower costs.

Yep, it will be and they'll get that amount back by laying off a few employees...

And... according to free market economics a competitor will come forward, hire the correct number of people to do the job correctly and put the other group out of business because they were short sighted and reactionary in deciding to fire people because of this.

And... according to free market economics a competitor will come forward, hire the correct number of people to do the job correctly and put the other group out of business because they were short sighted and reactionary in deciding to fire people because of this.

If the added fixed cost of providing health care is not cost prohibitive.

If the added fixed cost of providing health care is not cost prohibitive.

I have to believe that the per person cost of health care is going to fall rather quickly once this thing gets rolling. Now that assumes (I know, I know) that very few of the states will actually decide to prevent their citizens from having health care coverage just to make a point.

I have to believe that the per person cost of health care is going to fall rather quickly once this thing gets rolling. Now that assumes (I know, I know) that very few of the states will actually decide to prevent their citizens from having health care coverage just to make a point.

Why would you assume that cost will go down?