Pat Ys Top 25 Now At 17

Blogs HomeNFL NationNFC EastNFC NorthNFC SouthNFC WestAFC EastAFC NorthAFC SouthAFC West

NFC South top 25: No. 17

June, 28, 2012

JUN 28

12:02

PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

RECOMMEND0TWEET2COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT

We continue our series on my projected top 25 players in the NFC South for the 2012 season with No. 17:

Jonathan Stewart, running back, Carolina

What he did in 2011: Stewart had the lowest rushing total (761 yards) of his career and rushed for only four touchdowns (he rushed for 10 touchdowns in each the 2008 and ’09 seasons). But there were several factors at play here. Stewart was splitting time with DeAngelo Williams, as he’s done throughout his career. In the days of John Fox, that meant there were plenty of carries to go around. But, in the days of coach Ron Rivera, offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski and quarterback Cam Newton, the Panthers suddenly became a passing team. Stewart was productive when he carried the ball, but he carried a career-low 142 times.

Why he’s No. 17 in 2012: With Newton’s career really just getting started, the common assumption is that the Panthers are going to throw the ball even more. I think the common assumption might be wrong. The Panthers recognize they have a rare talent in Newton and they’re not going to suddenly go back to the way it was under Fox. They’re going to throw the football, but I think they want to balance their running attack more into the offense. They’d be foolish not to since they’ve got backs like Stewart, Williams and running back/fullback Mike Tolbert. I’m looking for Chudzinski to find more opportunities for Stewart and Williams. Both are too talented to not at least be close to 1,000 rushing yards.

Tags:Carolina Panthers, Jonathan Stewart, Rob Chudzinski, DeAngelo Williams, John Fox, Ron Rivera, Cam Newton, Mike Tolbert, NFC South top 25

He hasn't reached 800 yards the past two seasons. He hasn't had more than 5 TD's in a season (rushing AND receiving) the past two seasons. And he's lost almost as many fumbles (4) as he's scored rushing TD's (6) the past two seasons.

I thought the player's list of top 100 was bad. This is completely dumbfounding.

Stewart has averaged over 1k total yards and 7 TD a year, since he came into the league. While I don't like Pat Y's overall list so far.. I find it kind of bad. I can see Stewart taking a much bigger role in the Panthers offense in 2012. With Dwill trailing off, and Stewart just turning 25 this year... plus it's a contract year for him.

Edited by pox 08

I've come to the conclusion that Pat Y's mother was raped by a Falcon which created an evil manfalcon child that bullied Pat when he was growing up until the manfalcon was shipped off to boarding school never to be seen again. The manfalcon; however, still haunts Pat's nightmares leading to low rankings for ATL players in his dumb list.

Edited by Falcanuck