Espn Says Newton Most Overrated

Dharma Initiative

I've been saying this for a while. Defenses were hurt badly from the lockout last year compared to offenses. Look how many offenses put up huge numbers, I mean you had 3 5,000 yard passers.

Rookies like Newton and Dalton looked great, but that was without defenses having the offseason to work on things. It's similar to college football in that good offensive players can be plugged right in and make an impact compared to defensive players.

Here's what ESPN says

Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers

Newton's backers would defend his Pro Bowl nomination last year by quoting that Newton set a single-season record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (14) and became the first player to pass for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 yards in a season.

Those are impressive marks on their face but they are quantity-based and occurred after a lockout-truncated offseason. As I mentioned in my fantasy football draft guide, the lockout hurt defenses' ability to practice blitzes, which was a primary factor in why passing offenses were so explosive early on.

This impacted Newton as much as anyone, as he threw for 374 or more yards in three of his first four games. Once defenses started to get up to speed, however, Newton wasn't close to as effective a passer, throwing for 208 or fewer yards in five of his last six games.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying this for a while. Defenses were hurt badly from the lockout last year compared to offenses. Look how many offenses put up huge numbers, I mean you had 3 5,000 yard passers.

Rookies like Newton and Dalton looked great, but that was without defenses having the offseason to work on things. It's similar to college football in that good offensive players can be plugged right in and make an impact compared to defensive players.

Here's what ESPN says

Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers

Newton's backers would defend his Pro Bowl nomination last year by quoting that Newton set a single-season record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (14) and became the first player to pass for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 yards in a season.

Those are impressive marks on their face but they are quantity-based and occurred after a lockout-truncated offseason. As I mentioned in my fantasy football draft guide, the lockout hurt defenses' ability to practice blitzes, which was a primary factor in why passing offenses were so explosive early on.

This impacted Newton as much as anyone, as he threw for 374 or more yards in three of his first four games. Once defenses started to get up to speed, however, Newton wasn't close to as effective a passer, throwing for 208 or fewer yards in five of his last six games.

I have been preaching this to no end.

His last 8 games he averaged about 200 yards a game and BARELY had more tds than ints.

He is going to have a hard time duplicating his success from early on with teams having another year of film.

I mean the notion that a rookie QB wouldn't be the person most hurt by the shortened offseason is the most hilarious part of that to me.

How do you explain having three 5,000 yard passers in one season, when there had only been two EVER before this year.

I'm not saying Newton isn't the real deal, but I think he'll struggle to replicate those numbers ever again.

Defenses were lit up early in the year because it's tough for them to gel compared to offenses.

Edited by Dharma Initiative

Those people who think that Cam Newton isn't the real deal are practicing some serious wishful thinking.

I think it's a combination. I think that what Cam did was indeed impressive, but I also think that it's a little early to crown him the next Marino or Brady, etc. Next season will be interesting to watch.

Those people who think that Cam Newton isn't the real deal are practicing some serious wishful thinking.

No one will question his athletic ability.

But the fact is defenses DID catch up to him in the second half of the season.

Anyone who can not that is simply not looking at reality.

No one will question his athletic ability.

But the fact is defenses DID catch up to him in the second half of the season.

Anyone who can not that is simply not looking at reality.

In the first 8 games, the Panthers went 2-6 and averaged 23.3 points per game.

In the last 8 games, the Panthers went 4-4 and averaged 27.3 points per game.

That is where I am having problems reconciling this drop off theory.

Cam is not over rated but i do think some are crowning him WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to soon...

We saw what Vick did in his first full year back.... We saw what happen the next year when the league caught up to him and his strengths.

Cam is not over rated tho... I do think ppl need to come down tho... His big passing numbers went down at the end of the year.. At the beginning of the year the guy had crazy numbers.

In the first 8 games, the Panthers went 2-6 and averaged 23.3 points per game.

In the last 8 games, the Panthers went 4-4 and averaged 27.3 points per game.

That is where I am having problems reconciling this drop off theory.

3 of the 4 wins in the last 8 games came against Indy and Tampa twice.

Cam didn't break 300 yard in any of those 8 games, didn't break more than 150 last 3 [OK, 158 last game]- you can make the argument.

Going to be interesting to see how he does. I'm thinking he'll miss some games this year because he'll get hurt- not hoping for that mind you, just think that'll happen because of his style of play.

3 of the 4 wins in the last 8 games came against Indy and Tampa twice.

Cam didn't break 300 yard in any of those 8 games, didn't break more than 150 last 3 [OK, 158 last game]- you can make the argument.

Going to be interesting to see how he does. I'm thinking he'll miss some games this year because he'll get hurt- not hoping for that mind, you, just think that'll happen because of his style of play.

aka the two worst teams in the NFL made up 3 of his wins

Here is the biggest problem with the "Cam Newton threw for 208 yards in 5 of his last 6 games" stat having any meaning at all.

The Panthers record in those 5 games was 4-1.

exactly...He is not over rated.... At the same time.. Putting up big numbers in an L is pointless..

Thats just like when i see Ware get sacks in blowouts or clearly L games... Ware is a best.. dont get me wrong but those were pointless sacks

I feel like some is crowning him way to early but by no means is he over rated

When does Cam throwing for over 400 yards in two losses have any meaning?

Maybe it doesn't.

But....the Carolina Panthers finishing 5th in the league in scoring with him accounting for 35 TDs....pretty impressive.

I'd like to tell you that a QB has had as an impressive a year at QB and then dropped off, but there are very few guys to compare him too. And the one's you can compare him to didn't drop off.

exactly...He is not over rated.... At the same time.. Putting up big numbers in an L is pointless..

Thats just like when i see Ware get sacks in blowouts or clearly L games... Ware is a best.. dont get me wrong but those were pointless sacks

I feel like some is crowning him way to early but by no means is he over rated

Hey I'm not crowning him anything, I'm just saying I haven't seen a QB have a great rookie season and then go away before.

Maybe it doesn't.

But....the Carolina Panthers finishing 5th in the league in scoring with him accounting for 35 TDs....pretty impressive.

I'd like to tell you that a QB has had as an impressive a year at QB and then dropped off, but there are very few guys to compare him too. And the one's you can compare him to didn't drop off.

Only QB with that many rushing TDs is Vick and his body can't take the pounding. Newton is much larger , but I expect him to get pretty beat up if he tries that too much.