The Ncaa Has Approved A Playoff To Determine The Football Champion

Peyton

This is great news, and I think 4 is a good number. Keeps the regular season very meaningful. But won't be surpised when it expands to eight before too long.

Do we know who makes up the "committee"? Along those lines, is there any special rules or stipulations about who makes it into the playoff (max # per conference, etc...)?

What Big Ten team should have been in the top 4 last year?

none in my opinion. i've just got a bad feeling that the conferences are all going to have expectations of getting there conference champion in the playoff. i like how the bcs computer polls balance out some of the prejudices of the human polls

This is great news, and I think 4 is a good number. Keeps the regular season very meaningful. But won't be surpised when it expands to eight before too long.

Do we know who makes up the "committee"? Along those lines, is there any special rules or stipulations about who makes it into the playoff (max # per conference, etc...)?

these important details have not yet been determined. this is the part that gives me the creeps

What Big Ten team should have been in the top 4 last year?

None. Hopefully this system has zero affiliations and the top 4, bar none, are selected. Also, they need to get rid of that ridiculous 40+ day wait on the championship.

I think 4 teams is a great starting point.

None. Hopefully this system has zero affiliations and the top 4, bar none, are selected. Also, they need to get rid of that ridiculous 40+ day wait on the championship.

I think 4 teams is a great starting point.

I agree. It should be the 4 best teams regardless of conference. I agree 4 is a good starting point. But I think before too long they'll be crying for 8.

Not going to help us. Just makes us play another game. Only thing I wouldve liked would have been to have a home game in Bryant-Denny. Since that isnt happening I wish we could stick with what was working.

It wasn't working.

I still don't think 4 is enough, but at least it's something.

I really do think Conference Championships should take precedence over everything else. Top 4 highest ranked Conference Champions and that's IT. If you don't win your conference then you're not it, keep it simple that way everyone knows what it is they have to do.

Last year it would have been:

LSU

Oklahoma State

Oregon

Wisconsin

That would have been awesome. Sorry to guys like Stanford and Alabama, but life sucks sometimes, do better next year.

Eventually though I'd like to see it go to an 8-Team Playoff.

6 Major Conference Champions (SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, Big East) get automatic bids into the playoffs and will be seeded according to factors like SoS and Conference difficulty, plus 2 At-Large teams decided by a committee, that way we still get the really juicy debate and rage that comes along with college football.

It wasn't working.

I still don't think 4 is enough, but at least it's something.

I really do think Conference Championships should take precedence over everything else. Top 4 highest ranked Conference Champions and that's IT. If you don't win your conference then you're not it, keep it simple that way everyone knows what it is they have to do.

Last year it would have been:

LSU

Oklahoma State

Oregon

Wisconsin

That would have been awesome. Sorry to guys like Stanford and Alabama, but life sucks sometimes, do better next year.

Eventually though I'd like to see it go to an 8-Team Playoff.

6 Major Conference Champions (SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, Big East) get automatic bids into the playoffs and will be seeded according to factors like SoS and Conference difficulty, plus 2 At-Large teams decided by a committee, that way we still get the really juicy debate and rage that comes along with college football.

I agree with this simply because it mostly removes the polls/human factor/bias from the equation. The polls have hurt this sport so much in it's history. How can anyone really determine why #s 3 and 4 are better than #s 5 and 6 most years. As you said, if you take the 4 highest rated conference champs everyone knows what they need to get done. More like a playoff as every other sport understands that term.

meh. the committee charged with seeding the four teams surely will put their own agendas aside for the betterment of college football. rolleyes.gif

until a true playoff is enacted in football where conference champions enter into a tournament, it is not a playoff. that will never happen. so, we get to be excited about this garbage.

meh. the committee charged with seeding the four teams surely will put their own agendas aside for the betterment of college football. rolleyes.gif

until a true playoff is enacted in football where conference champions enter into a tournament, it is not a playoff. that will never happen. so, we get to be excited about this garbage.

there is no way to get rid of agendas which were a big part of the bcs system, but if you think a committee is as bad as some stupid computer programs where each one has their own weights and they couldn't even explain how they do what they do. you then had some agenda driven coaches poll and inept harris poll voters as well.. i think most can agree the bcs stinks, but it was better than the older system which was bad. we all know this new arrangement isn't great, but at least you get more teams involved which is what many fans wanted.

there is no way to get rid of agendas which were a big part of the bcs system, but if you think a committee is as bad as some stupid computer programs where each one has their own weights and they couldn't even explain how they do what they do. you then had some agenda driven coaches poll and inept harris poll voters as well.. i think most can agree the bcs stinks, but it was better than the older system which was bad. we all know this new arrangement isn't great, but at least you get more teams involved which is what many fans wanted.

agreed. it's a step in the right direction. i just am not as excited about it as others because i see how great the nfl playoffs are and how much of a letdown december and january is in college football. i am not a fan of polls, voting or any form of ranking. the only way to rank a team is by their record, but with 120 some odd d1 schools, that will never work. a dramatic change in d1 football is the only way to right what is wrong with college football.

now, with all this said - i still think attending an sec football game in october is the best sporting event in the world.

To me, the best option to get teams in is win/loss record, except that in college football, that can also not be a good indicator of a good team. Honestly, like/hate the SEC, PAC, BIG, whatever, but all conferences were not created equal and I'm sure it's really difficult to figure out who's the best. Even that probably changes from week to week.

agreed. it's a step in the right direction. i just am not as excited about it as others because i see how great the nfl playoffs are and how much of a letdown december and january is in college football. i am not a fan of polls, voting or any form of ranking. the only way to rank a team is by their record, but with 120 some odd d1 schools, that will never work. a dramatic change in d1 football is the only way to right what is wrong with college football.

now, with all this said - i still think attending an sec football game in october is the best sporting event in the world.

i would love an nfl type playoff, but as you said this is a step in the right direction. i am personally just glad to get rid of the harris poll (may be the worst idea ever), coaches poll (2nd worst idea), and computer polls (3rd worst idea ever). the committee isn't the best thing, but depending on the makeup of it i could see it being something that is workable. i also think that if you don't have a conference title game then you conference championship should mean nothing.