The Ncaa Has Approved A Playoff To Determine The Football Champion

Peyton

Starting in 2014, the top 4 (as determined by committee) will have a playoff.

So that's interesting, and I never really thought it would happen.

About f'n time. What a **** sham the whole bowl thing was and the lame excuses why they couldn't do a playoff but every other sport in the world could.

Playoffs? Too often forgotten is the fact that these are students who will be traveling and missing class even more often. The NCAA uses these players to rake in the cash, but doesn't do enough to ensure that the member schools are turning out graduates capable of getting and holding gainful employment; the true function of a university.

Something should be done to ensure that some of the enormous sums generated by all these extra games gets to the people who make it possible....even if it is after graduation.

Playoffs? Too often forgotten is the fact that these are students who will be traveling and missing class even more often. The NCAA uses these players to rake in the cash, but doesn't do enough to ensure that the member schools are turning out graduates capable of getting and holding gainful employment; the true function of a university. Something should be done to ensure that some of the enormous sums generated by all these extra games gets to the people who make it possible....even if it is after graduation.

Too many people have wanted this for too long. Dont rain on the parade.

Too many people have wanted this for too long. Dont rain on the parade.

Hes absolutely right though.

People rag on and on about the "free schoolin" these athletes get for their slave labor, yet what happens when they miss class for this?

What happens when their brain damage prevents them from putting much use to their degree?

Here's what they should have done:

Stage an 8 team playoff that begins with the quarter-finals the second week of December, after the conference championship games. Play the semi-finals the week before Christmas. The students are already out of school for most of December and the teams that lose in the quarters (and possibly semis) can still play in bowl games. Maybe a consolation game for the teams losing in the semis.

Fixed it all, right there.

The teams that lose the quarters would not have to worry about bowl games, because if they had 8 teams, then the 4 original BCS bowls would be the quarter finals. They can keep the same format as well, so Sugar= SEC Champ+ At large, Orange= ACC champ+ At large, Rose= PAC vs Big 10 champ, Fiesta= Big 12+At large. The semi finals would be played at two bowl games, while the final is played at another.

I am very shocked that the system I have described was not announced. It seems like the easiest way to not upset the bowls and keep them relevant.

Just a bit of clarification, the NCAA has nothing to do with this "playoff". In fact, Division I football is the only sport they do not award a national championship trophy for.

And count me as one who thinks 4 is plenty and has the intended effect of resolving the dispute over #1 and #2 in the final BCS poll, while maintaining the importance of the regular season. As someone once said, the more people you invite to a party the bigger the group of people who think they should have been invited. Not to mention, who is going to travel to all these extra games? I know this is a TV product first, but somewhere the fans have to show up at games.

Just a bit of clarification, the NCAA has nothing to do with this "playoff". In fact, Division I football is the only sport they do not award a national championship trophy for.

Division 1 FBS

trophy1.jpg

FCS has had a playoff for a good long while now.

Sorry :P Gotta represent.