Nfl.com: Four Reasons To Buy Hype On Atl Falcons Offense

maGisTer

Bored? Here's another Falcons article:

Four Reasons to Buy Hype on Atlanta Falcons Offense by Gregg Rosenthal, Around The League editor NFL.com

We came into OTA season telling you to be

wary of overhype. We have kept our guard up for the most part, however, we have to admit that we're falling for one recent theme:

The

Atlanta Falcons' passing game is primed to explode.

We aren't saying this because Roddy White believes this is the best Falcons offense he's seen. It's not because Matt Ryan has been lifting weights. There are a lot of tangible reasons to believe Atlanta's passing attack really will take it to another level.

1. Julio Jones: Our thoughts on Jones are well documented. (By well documented, we mean that there was an ATL post on it last week and we're too lazy to repeat the point.)

2. Receiver depth: Roddy White can be the best "No. 2" receiver in football. Harry Douglas, now another year removed from surgery, is one of the most dangerous No. 3 wideouts in the league. Tony Gonzalez remains a big weapon and will get single coverage at tight end.

3. Coordinator change: Mike Mularkey did a nice job developing Matt Ryan. New coordinator Dirk Koetter should bring a needed fresh approach. We're most excited about Koetter's preference for vertical passing game. In general, Koetter should recognize the strength of this offense does not lie with Michael Turner.

4. More no huddle: Look, it's nice that coach Mike Smith says Matt Ryan's arm is stronger. We'll see. The real key to Ryan's game is sitting on his neck.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell pointed out recently that Ryan's best attribute might be his growing comfort in the no huddle. He can win before the snap. The team allowed Ryan to make more decisions last year. Look for him to take the next step as the true orchestrator of this offense.

Between a pass-happy attack and Mike Nolan taking over the defense, this shouldn't be the same old vanilla Falcons team we've grown used to since Ryan arrived.

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/n...lanta-falcons-o

Edited by Quintorris

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, there is only one reason, but it's a very big reason. It's loaded with talent at the skill positions.

I don't understand all this stuff about Koetter's vertical passing game and being pass happy at all. The Falcons have been throwing it a ton and the only problem with the vertical passing game last year was Matt Ryan's accuracy.

Matt Ryan has to fix that, not Dirk.

To me, there is only one reason, but it's a very big reason. It's loaded with talent at the skill positions.

I don't understand all this stuff about Koetter's vertical passing game and being pass happy at all. The Falcons have been throwing it a ton and the only problem with the vertical passing game last year was Matt Ryan's accuracy.

Peyton your smarter than that. Are concepts and play calling was horrible and vanila. MR does need to fix somethings, but even if he didn't and we change things and play calling improves it will be huge.

I think having receivers that led the league in dropped passes was a problem too!blink.png

Peyton, is everything okay man? Between this comment and the fierce defense of the Saints, I'm starting to get worried. Matt's only accuracy issue was on the deep ball. That's not why we lost in the playoffs. The Houston game is the only loss anyone can realistically pin on Matt's accuracy, and he put us in a position to win that game, then Julio dropped a perfectly thrown pass.

OLine and scheme were what kept us from getting over the hump.If our gameplans allowed for the receivers to catch in space, the deep ball issues wouldn't be an issue. If we couldn't no huddle effectively because of crowd noise, we couldn't count on Mularkey to call the plays to win.

Mularkey is an excellent coach, but not the right one for the talent on this team.

Peyton, is everything okay man? Between this comment and the fierce defense of the Saints, I'm starting to get worried. Matt's only accuracy issue was on the deep ball. That's not why we lost in the playoffs. The Houston game is the only loss anyone can realistically pin on Matt's accuracy, and he put us in a position to win that game, then Julio dropped a perfectly thrown pass.

OLine and scheme were what kept us from getting over the hump.If our gameplans allowed for the receivers to catch in space, the deep ball issues wouldn't be an issue. If we couldn't no huddle effectively because of crowd noise, we couldn't count on Mularkey to call the plays to win.

Mularkey is an excellent coach, but not the right one for the talent on this team.

I agree, but with that said Matt Ryan's deep ball accuracy would be better if he worked on it more in practice and thre it more in games. It's more about timing and anticipation which he's known for. A good offseason of working in this will help. Another huge issuer for MR was being able to step up on the pocket to get his feet right to make a good throw. To many times the pocket was collapsed so the times it wasn't he was off.

Guest Negatorris

I see no reason that Ryan and the offense shouldn't explode this season. Last year we were top ten with lackluster offenisve play,and I believe we can climb to top 5. Jones is looking deadly in camp, Roddy seems to be more focused, HD has gotten bulkier and is finally fully healthy, and even the 4 option Meier has been making circus catches in camp. When ryan is allowed more freedom and control over the offense he can make defenses look silly, but I think the problem with MM was that he was too stubborn to allow Ryan to take control. When Peyton took control of that Colts Offense, they seemed unstoppable. Ryan has that same mentality, and he is an expert at reading defenses. Mularkey was a good coach and he made our offense pretty good, but he was also the one limiting it, and limiting Ryan. I think Koetter will allow Ryan to step up and become the true leader of the offense, and the whole team.

I see no reason that Ryan and the offense shouldn't explode this season. Last year we were top ten with lackluster offenisve play,and I believe we can climb to top 5. Jones is looking deadly in camp, Roddy seems to be more focused, HD has gotten bulkier and is finally fully healthy, and even the 4 option Meier has been making circus catches in camp. When ryan is allowed more freedom and control over the offense he can make defenses look silly, but I think the problem with MM was that he was too stubborn to allow Ryan to take control. When Peyton took control of that Colts Offense, they seemed unstoppable. Ryan has that same mentality, and he is an expert at reading defenses. Mularkey was a good coach and he made our offense pretty good, but he was also the one limiting it, and limiting Ryan. I think Koetter will allow Ryan to step up and become the true leader of the offense, and the whole team.

Bingo!! I don't think MMs a bad coach at all just think he's stubborn and sucks at play calling.

Of course, we lost in the playoffs because we didn't have a play that could get 1 yard.

It's my hope that Koetter is improving that, it's much more important thatn getting more explosive plays. The Falcons got tons of explosive plays last year.

Are troubles were a lot more than 1 yard.

It killed us against the Saints and it killed us against the Giants, twice. If I had to choose plays to illustrate why they failed last year, I would choose the 4th and 1 failures. An argument could be made for all of the third down conversions that were made against the defense, but I think the inability to gain a yard, when they needed it the most, killed the teams confidence. If a team can't get that yard, they deserve to lose.

Two critical drives deep in Giants territory stopped on 4th and inches.

The Giants went for it on 4th and 1 on thier first TD drive and got it.

Key to the whole game.

I'm not disputing that, but if we want a chance for a superbowl year in and year out we have to improve o-line, defense and play calling on both sides of the ball.

I'm not disputing that, but if we want a chance for a superbowl year in and year out we have to improve o-line, defense and play calling on both sides of the ball.

I agree that the offensive line needs to be better. I think that is why the Falcons drafted two OL guys, one of whom I suspect will start from day one.

Spot on bro, another great post from you ..........nothing more to say it is what it is, what you said ........

I believe the problems last year was the team stopped buying into the ultra conservative game plan. A lot of times I got the feeling that the players wanted to be more aggressive and take more risks but the coaching and the game plan didn't allow for that . I think smitty has been so caught up in the "process" that he has been a year late in realizing that the players have out grown the "process". He says that he has learned and will change the way we approach games lets hope he is ready to let these birds stretch their wings and soar.

People say that's ryans issue is accuracy on the deep ball and you can't really argue that's not true.

In his defense the rout we ran the most was the go rout. The receiver tries an early double move the runs strait in a strait line to the end zone up the side line. This is the hardest pass to complete hands down.

First if the receiver is bumbed after the double move or even before this can ruin the timing of the play the good news is the QB can still throw it farther than the defender and let the receiver make a play but it's a crap shoot.

Secondly this pass must traject high up in the air so it comes down right on the receivers hands in stride. It must be perfect to hit a guy in stride. But the trajectory needs to be a floater. People always claiming " marts trajectory is to high" well that's because in this pass you need to throw it over the defender and drop it on the receiver. If done properly on all ends, the ball should be dropping over the receiver by about a foot, receiver extending his hands for the go ahead score. All this on the sideline and where the defender can't touch the ball.

Matt has no problems with the inside fade rout's and crossing rout's. Personally I love the go rout but it's a once a game phenomenon at best. And must be attempted 4-5 times a game just to keep a defense honest. It's really a play just to keep a defense honest and open up running lanes

Two critical drives deep in Giants territory stopped on 4th and inches.

The Giants went for it on 4th and 1 on thier first TD drive and got it.

Key to the whole game.

Couple of big plays in the playoff game and they don't need to pick up a 4th and 1.

Few more big plays scattered throughout the year and the Falcons get a home playoff game.

And Ryan's deep pass was hardly the ONLY problem with the falcons passing game.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

You mean like creating an account on a messageboard, trolling for a bit, getting banned, then creating another account, trolling a bit, getting banned and doing that over and over ? And over and over.

Pass accuracy is more a matter of timing between the QB and route runner. Matt has Roddy's timing down pat, but Roddy kept dropping the darned ball last season. JJ is much faster than Roddy, and Ryan obviously didn't anticipate him as well as he could. I expect MR and JJ to hook up a lot more often this year.

Of course, we lost in the playoffs because we didn't have a play that could get 1 yard.

It's my hope that Koetter is improving that, it's much more important thatn getting more explosive plays. The Falcons got tons of explosive plays last year.

I am really tired of hearing we need to be more explosive. What we need to do is find what works for us and do that. I am all about some deep balls but not when it seems we're forcing them.