Brian Billick And Koetter Share The Same Philosophy When It Comes To Defining An Explosive Play

tobyd77

“We want explosive plays, whether they’re runs or passes,” Koetter said, and then he defined his terms. “When I think about explosive plays, I mean 12-yard runs or 16-yard passes. [Those yardage figures are minimums, please note.] Next to turnovers, 12-yard runs and 16-yard passes are the biggest factors in winning. If you have eight of those plays in a game, you’ll have a great chance to win.”

Koetter isn’t just talking out of his hat. (Actually, he was sporting a Spurrieresque visor.) He has seen the research done in Jacksonville, his previous place of employment, and by other NFL clubs. “Different people use different numbers for explosive plays,” he said, “but people who are way smarter than I am have determined that those are the important ones — 12-yard runs and 16-yard passes.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/06/20/koetter-is-out-to-upgrade-the-falcons-one-explosion-at-a-time/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

Brian Billick from an article I found that was recently done this year

His third key was to frequently get what is called an explosive play. The NFL defines an explosive play as one that achieves 20 yards. Billick had a different concept in mind. To him, a better measure would be a running play that achieves 12 or more yards or a passing play that achieves 16 yards or more. I tend to agree with Billick. Whether you run the ball or pass the ball, if you're getting a first down on a single play, you’re achieving your goals.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/studying-third-down-theory-part-1

You all should really check out these two articles. They are very encouraging on why IMO we could have picked koetter or Billick and would not have gone wrong at least according to their knowledge of the game. These guys seem on the same page when it comes to running a successful offense in the NFL.

Yes. That is what separates the Packers and Patriots and Saints offenses from ours... they attack in ways to create those "explosive plays" so they avoid the repetitive 3rd down and medium/longs that MM literally seemed to favor his offense playing through every possession/series.

JAX drafting a Punter so incredibly high just amazes me.... but it is par for the Mularkey Course IMHO. blink.png

Yes. That is what separates the Packers and Patriots and Saints offenses from ours... they attack in ways to create those "explosive plays" so they avoid the repetitive 3rd down and medium/longs that MM literally seemed to favor his offense playing through every possession/series.

JAX drafting a Punter so incredibly high just amazes me.... but it is par for the Mularkey Course IMHO. blink.png

I think drafting a punter high was a great idea. They know they will need the best punter in the league since they'll be punting 60+% of the time.