Arthur Blank Probably Has More Than A Billion Invested In Falcons, And Yet Sam Baker Is Still The Apparent Starting Left Tackle?

g-dawg

I know this is a bit of a re-hash - but now that the off-season is almost over, thought it was time to bring this up again.

"Yes", i understand we drafted Lamar Holmes which is a start (but he's a project and is already injured-so he is not off to a good start) - and I know Svitek is at least an average-to-above average back-up Left Tackle in the NFL.

There are careers (Mike Smith/Thomas Dimitroff) and reputations on the line right now and there is a lot at stake. Arthur Blank is a demanding owner who is heavily invested not only financially, but is more involved owner than almost every other NFL owner this side of Jerry Jones. The Atlanta Falcons are either going to take a step foward or a step back this year - obviously we all want a step foward.

I'm just suprised that Dimitroff has not done more to shore up this position. I don't believe that the Falcons believe in Sam Baker - although they will never say so publicly - how can anyone point to anything on Sam Baker's 4 years in the NFL and have any confidence at all - Baker's best year was probably his rookie year - and, let's be honest - he was not that good then either - Mularkey babied Matt Ryan and there were a lot of quick hitter pass plays - the O-Line has never been able to protect Matt - never.

Since the O-Line is Falcons #1 weakness, and Left Tackle is #1 weakness on the O-Line, I'm just stunned that the Falcons did not go after Marcus McNeill or Demetruss Bell or somebody - something.....

If Falcons struggle and Left Tackle is another obvious huge weakness, it will be the largest "I TOLD YOU SO" from fans to team in the history of NFL. The weakness is so glaring and the address of issues is so weak. I'm hopeful for Lamar Holmes in 2013 and thereafter but he is not going to be ready this year - I'm still hoping Dimitroff figures out some way to address this position - but right now, I feel like we have a "Ferrari Offense" with no gas in the tank.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

It bothers the crap out of me......

What really bothers me is that it seems like Blank has been muzzled or sold a bill of goods by Dimitroff and Smith since his (Blank's) righteous anger at the postseason, wrap-up news conference.

Stay angry Arthur until you get what you want.

It bothers the crap out of me......

What really bothers me is that it seems like Blank has been muzzled or sold a bill of goods by Dimitroff and Smith since his (Blank's) righteous anger at the postseason, wrap-up news conference.

Stay angry Arthur until you get what you want.

Gritz,

If Falcons are drafting in top 20 next year, they will likely be drafting a Left Tackle.

I'm not a fan, but to borrow a line from Obama pastor Reverend Jeremiah Wright, "The Falcons chickens will have come home to roost".

Give Baker one more chance this year. New offensive line coach and offensive coordinator. Baker looks like he is in good shape. I say lets give the man one last shot before we write him off. The pictures I saw of him from the recent mini camp, he looks more like an NFL sized lineman who cares now. Based off that, I will give the man one more shot. If he gets completely owned in training camp and preseason, than its time to move on from him.

From Title you making it sound like he has Billions invested but is to cheap spend on Left Tackle

then this

Arthur Blank is a demanding owner who is heavily invested not only financially, but is more involved owner than almost every other NFL owner this side of Jerry Jones. The Atlanta Falcons are either going to take a step foward or a step back this year - obviously we all want a step foward.

Just came off as Blank is to blame

but I agree this is all on TD and coaching

TD doesn't want to cut dead weight in Jerry and Baker

could be his down fall

no.......my purpose of the title of the thread - is just to show how much Blank has invested in this team and how he wants to win - but the failure to address one position by the decisionmakers underneath him - can prevent ultimate success..

the second part of what you are saying I agree with - Dimitroff needs to cut losses on failures (Baker and Jerry - although Jerry deserves one more year) - the first part, you misinterpreted my thread - i think i stated it eloquently but it just went over your head.

It doesn't matter how many billions of $ an owner has invested. We only have limited cap space and draft picks to build and upgrade our team. Any hope of making a significant upgrade at the LT position, left town with the 5 picks that we traded away to move up for Julio Jones.

I felt at the time, that it was a move that would mean postponing addressing our OL issues for 2 years and I still feel that way.

McNeil isn't the answer either. If he was, somebody would have taken a chance on him by now.

I want to preface this by saying I have no clue if this is the thought of the front office or not but here's my thinking on it:

1. They knew they had limited draft picks to work with and couldn't do everything in one offseason. Getting Konz is a huge step in the right direction though.

2. They know they'll have very few free agent issues next season and will have a full compliment of picks to work with.

3. If Baker doesn't get it done or Holmes doesn't look like the LT of the future then expect it to happen next offseason.

TD has hoodwinked Art to no end and his days in ATL are numbered. Art made such a big deal about the OL during the end of the year presser and where are we today, Baker is designated as our starting LT, drafted Baker's heir apparant, who is already on the training table? Really Thomas? Hopefully Koonz performs as advertised, your job pretty much depends on it!

Edited by vabchbirdlover

TD doesn't want to cut dead weight in Jerry and Baker

could be his down fall

Rubbish.

You don't cut a guy unless you have better starters and backups on the roster, or their cap hits make it economical to do so.

Neither of these guys have huge cap hits, and we don't have enough players who are better at either position. It makes a LOT more sense to keep these guys and at least let them battle for a roster spot.

I want to preface this by saying I have no clue if this is the thought of the front office or not but here's my thinking on it:

1. They knew they had limited draft picks to work with and couldn't do everything in one offseason. Getting Konz is a huge step in the right direction though.

2. They know they'll have very few free agent issues next season and will have a full compliment of picks to work with.

3. If Baker doesn't get it done or Holmes doesn't look like the LT of the future then expect it to happen next offseason.

Why did they? Right, they sold their soul to think that they were one expolsive player away from glory, while forgetting about the "Nuts and bolts" that makes a successful team, quality linemen.

Obviously they expect him to be healthy this season or they wouldn't be giving him the benefit of the doubt. As the fight for the LT position in pads begins, he'll have to prove he can do it or he's gone for good. Nothing we can do but wait........just like Blank.

gdawg- were you a fan of Julio trade ?

I was a fan of the trade but preferred A.J. over Julio (still do - but love Julio as well) - I was OK with trading 1st, 2nd, 4th and next year's 1st - but thought we should not have given up the 2nd 4th round pick in 2012 - thought that was a little overkill and Cleveland would have still taken the deal w/o that pick.

Falcons desperately needed a YOUNG marquee player on offense - and got him in Julio.

Baker has a 3mil cap hit this year .. Look what Eagles did when they lost there stud T

they went out and signed Bell to peanuts ..

Bell would have been a upgrade over Baker

agreed. we could have gotten a veteran upgrade over Sam Baker for cheap - even if Holmes is the long-term answer, we need an upgraded stop gap over Baker. Falcons need to compete at highest level NOW with Roddy at his peak and Tony G. in his last year.

Why did they? Right, they sold their soul to think that they were one expolsive player away from glory, while forgetting about the "Nuts and bolts" that makes a successful team, quality linemen.

Falcons needed Julio - without him, they were easy to defend - put a safety over the top on whoever was covering Roddy - and "game over" you controlled the Falcons passing game. That won't happen any more w/ presence of Julio.

Give Baker one more chance this year. New offensive line coach and offensive coordinator. Baker looks like he is in good shape. I say lets give the man one last shot before we write him off. The pictures I saw of him from the recent mini camp, he looks more like an NFL sized lineman who cares now. Based off that, I will give the man one more shot. If he gets completely owned in training camp and preseason, than its time to move on from him.

Baker has more lives than a cat (who presumably has 9).

Just makes me wonder if we are still looking at Marcus McNeill as an option should Sam still struggle.

I hope so.....even if McNeill got signed, came in and got cut - at least I would know that Falcons recognize the severity of the LT problem and know that they were exploring all possibilities to improve.

I hope so.....even if McNeill got signed, came in and got cut - at least I would know that Falcons recognize the severity of the LT problem and know that they were exploring all possibilities to improve.

Well it is either one of two things....

1-They know something about a player we already have that we don't.

or 2-They have a plan in place to get someone still.

It would bother me more if the solution was readily available by spending some of Blank's billions. McNeill has too many question marks I guess.

If McNeil is smart, he would take a 1 year contract at about $1million with 1/2 guaranteed - with multiple incentives....he only has about 3-4 more possible years in the NFL and nobody is giving him a big contract until he comes back and proves he can stay healthy fpr a year. To sit out 2012, just means teams are even less inclined to give you a big contract in 2013 - plus you pizzed away a year of your earning capabilities - not a good move by McNeill.

Dimitroff/Blank/Smith ought to be willing to fork out $500k for a year - if he works out and proves healthy enough to play in 2012.

Well it is either one of two things....

1-They know something about a player we already have that we don't.

or 2-They have a plan in place to get someone still.

I don't think its #1 (unless its "they know Sam Baker is even worse than we think he is")

so, hoping for #2.