Hba 2013 Mock Draft V.1

2013 Off Season

Players Signed

Jonathan Stewart Signed a four-year, $18 million contract. The deal contains $9 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus, Stewart's first-year base salary, and $2.5 million of his second-year salary. Annual $250,000 workout bonuses are available in years two through four. 2013: $3 million, 2014: $3.75 million, 2015: $4 million, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.nfl.com/p...art/949/profile

Players not resigned/cut/retired

RB Michael Turner (cut)

TE Tony Gonzalez (retired)

OC Todd McClure (retired

DT Vance Walker

CB Chris Owens

OT Sam Baker

CB Brent Grimes

FB Michael Cox

Players resigned

DE Lawrence Sidbury

OT Will Svitek

Spencer Adkins

2013 Draft

1st Round DT Kawann Short, Purdue

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 310 | Projected 40 Time: 5.05

http://www.cbssports...64/kawann-short

http://www.cfbstats....8047/index.html

http://www.nfldraftb...wann-Short.html

2nd Round TE Joseph Fauria, UCLA

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 252 | Projected 40 Time: 4.69

http://www.cbssports...6/joseph-fauria

http://www.cfbstats....7732/index.html

3rd Round CB Desmond Trufant, Washington

Height: 6-0| Weight: 185 | Projected 40 Time: 4.42

http://www.cbssports...desmond-trufant

http://www.cfbstats....7027/index.html

http://www.nfldraftb...nd-Trufant.html

4th Round FS Rashard Hall, Clemsons

Height: 6-1| Weight: 210| Projected 40 Time: 4.52

http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=FS

http://www.cfbstats....5947/index.html

http://www.nfldraftb...shard-Hall.html

5th Round MLB Jonathan Bostic, University Florida

Height: 6-1| Weight: 243| Projected 40 Time: 4.63

http://www.cbssports...jonathan-bostic

http://www.cfbstats....3935/index.html

6th Round QB Alex Carder, Western Michigan

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 225| Projected 40 Time: 4.61

http://www.cbssports...715/alex-carder

http://www.cfbstats....9398/index.html

7th Round OT Dallas Thomas, University Tennessee

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 305| Projected 40 Time: 5.08

http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=OT

http://www.utsports....s_dallas00.html

Offensive Depth Chart

Quarterback Matt Ryan, Alex Carder

Wide Receiver X Julio Jones, Kerry Meier, Michael Calvin

Wide Receiver Z Roddy White, Harry Douglas, Cody Pearcy

Running Back Jonathan Stewert, Jacquizz Rodgers, Jason Snelling

Fullback Bradie Ewing, Mike Cox

Tight End Joseph Fauria, Michael Palmer

Left Offensive Tackle Lamar Holmes, Will Svitek

Left Offensive Guard Justin Blalock, Mike Johnson

Center Joe Hawley, Peter Konz

Right Offensive Guard Peter Konz, Andrew Jackson

Right Offensive Tackle Tyson Clabo, Dallas Thomas

Defensive Depth Chart

Left Defensive End Ray Edwards, Jonathan Massaquoi, Cliff Matthews

Left Defensive Tackle Corey Peters, Peria Jerry, Travian Robertson

Right Defensive Tackle Jonathan Babineaux, Kawann Short

Right Defensive End John Abraham, Kroy Biermann, Lawrence Sidbury

Weak-side Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, Spencer Adkins

Middle Linebacker Akeem Dent, Lofa Tatupu, Jonathan Bostic

Strong-side Linebacker Stephen Nicholas, Jonathan Bostic

Left Cornerback Asante Samuels, Dunta Robinson,

Right Cornerback Dominique Franks, Desmond Trufant, Darrin Walls

Strong Safety William Moore, Charles Mitchell

Free Safety Thomas DeCoud, Rashard Hall

Special Teams Depth Chart

Kicker (FG) K Matt Byrant

Punter Matt Bosher

Kicker (KO) Matt Bosher

Long Snapper Joe Zelenka

Kick Returner Cody Pearcy

Punt Returner Cody Pearcy

Holder Matt Bosher

This not a choice of who I would rather have I don't know if you have seen the inflation market for CB these days. Do you really want to pay Grimes 45-50 mil over the next 5 years which is probably what he is seek becuase if that was not the case we would have just resigned him this offseason. Robinson we have the leverage of cutting or restructuring his contact Grimes we would not have that luxury with out taking a significant cap hit for the next 3 years. If all things were equal then yes I would much rather have Grimes but they are not equal and you do have to factor cost in the equation.

Edited by head busta from augusta

This not a choice of who I would rather have I don't know if you have seen the inflation market for CB these days. Do you really want to pay Grimes 45-50 mil over the next 5 years which is probably what he is seek becuase if that was not the case we would have just resigned him this offseason. Robinson we have the leverage of cutting or restructuring his contact Grimes we would not have that luxury with out taking a significant cap hit for the next 3 years. If all things were equal then yes I would much rather have Grimes but they are not equal and you do have to factor cost in the equation.

Maybe, but I still think that they are working a long term deal with him, and that they franchised him so they would have more time to work that out. In the end, I believe we will extend Grimes and Dunta will be cut next offseason, but for now this is all speculation, so we'll see. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

Maybe, but I still think that they are working a long term deal with him, and that they franchised him so they would have more time to work that out. In the end, I believe we will extend Grimes and Dunta will be cut next offseason, but for now this is all speculation, so we'll see. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

No problem bro, but I don't think we will cut Robinson. TD rarely cut players he signed off on especially big time free agents signing look we still have Baker on the team. Hey I think it is wishful thinking that we resign Grimes. If there is a market for him which i think there is we will not overpay for free agents including our own (Foxworth, Dahl, almost Abe this year just ti name a few).

Jonathan StewartPanthers

Jonathan Stewart grades out as Pro Football Focus' most elusive back of the last three seasons.

PFF uses a formula that factors in missed tackles and production after contact to grade each player. Since the start of the 2009 season, Stewart's 58.8 rating paces the league. Fred Jackson, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, and Marshawn Lynch round out the top-five. Bills Tashard Choice (11.4) has the lowest mark among active backs.

Jonathan StewartPanthers Jonathan Stewart grades out as Pro Football Focus' most elusive back of the last three seasons. PFF uses a formula that factors in missed tackles and production after contact to grade each player. Since the start of the 2009 season, Stewart's 58.8 rating paces the league. Fred Jackson, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, and Marshawn Lynch round out the top-five. Bills Tashard Choice (11.4) has the lowest mark among active backs.

Turner a top 5 back? ... No way... /sarcasm

Turner a top 5 back? ... No way... /sarcasm

Not that he is a top five back 2012 this is more than likely link to yards after first contact which a lot of times when Turner breaks those long runs it is after he runs over someone. Not to mention this is since 09 which I believe I read somewhere that Turner is in the top five for rushing yards since 08. This is believeable.

I think Franks is our long-term nickel for as long as we have Nolan. He's physical and is good vs the run, and we start 3 CBs now.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if we took a CN early next year with the departure of Grimes or Dunta if a great one fell.

I'm keeping tabs on David Amerson and Xavier Rhodes. Rhodes in particular is someone to remember, he's a near-elite CB prospect with size speed and cover skills and at FSU QBs stay away from him so his stats are deflated vs Amerson's.

He could slide as the #2 CB in the draft, or if someone has a big year stats-wise and Rhodes doesn't because of what I said above he could be rated as the 3 or 4 CB making him available for our 1st.

I think Franks is our long-term nickel for as long as we have Nolan. He's physical and is good vs the run, and we start 3 CBs now.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if we took a CN early next year with the departure of Grimes or Dunta if a great one fell.

I'm keeping tabs on David Amerson and Xavier Rhodes. Rhodes in particular is someone to remember, he's a near-elite CB prospect with size speed and cover skills and at FSU QBs stay away from him so his stats are deflated vs Amerson's.

He could slide as the #2 CB in the draft, or if someone has a big year stats-wise and Rhodes doesn't because of what I said above he could be rated as the 3 or 4 CB making him available for our 1st.

Amerson isn't sliding out of the top 15. 6'3 205 LB Corners with Asante Samuel like skill sets don't come along often

Amerson isn't sliding out of the top 15. 6'3 205 LB Corners with Asante Samuel like skill sets don't come along often

If you read what I wrote more carefully, youd realize I was talking about Rhodes falling, not Amerson. I said Rhodes stats vs. Amerson's.

Amerson will also have a statistically much worse year -- teams didn't shy away from targeting him as an unknown and he stepped up. Now that he'll be mostly avoided he won't get near the same amount of interceptions.

Couple that in with a 4.5 40 time and draft niks may give him the Malcolm Jenkins treatment of he has to move to safety and he could fall.

Moore had 10 INTs and followed it up with 1 I believe because QBs stayed away. He went from a Top 15 pick to the 2nd round.

Jenkins slid all the way down round 1 because of a 40 time not being "elite" and the media saying he'd be a better safety.

Some new guy could burst onto the scene with 8-9 INTs and declare and take the #1 riding that momentum while CBs like Amerson and Rhodes could fall because of deflated stats.

I'm paying particular attention to Rhodes who is already under the radar despite being 6'2 205 lbs with 4.4 and a lock down CB. Being a lock down avoided CB doesn't get the press in college like Revis in the NFL when someone is getting a ton of INTs.

If you read what I wrote more carefully, youd realize I was talking about Rhodes falling, not Amerson. I said Rhodes stats vs. Amerson's.

Amerson will also have a statistically much worse year -- teams didn't shy away from targeting him as an unknown and he stepped up. Now that he'll be mostly avoided he won't get near the same amount of interceptions.

Couple that in with a 4.5 40 time and draft niks may give him the Malcolm Jenkins treatment of he has to move to safety and he could fall.

Moore had 10 INTs and followed it up with 1 I believe because QBs stayed away. He went from a Top 15 pick to the 2nd round.

Jenkins slid all the way down round 1 because of a 40 time not being "elite" and the media saying he'd be a better safety.

Some new guy could burst onto the scene with 8-9 INTs and declare and take the #1 riding that momentum while CBs like Amerson and Rhodes could fall because of deflated stats.

I'm paying particular attention to Rhodes who is already under the radar despite being 6'2 205 lbs with 4.4 and a lock down CB. Being a lock down avoided CB doesn't get the press in college like Revis in the NFL when someone is getting a ton of INTs.

Call me crazy but I just can't see either of them falling to the mid 20s with CB being a high profile position and the inflation of the price for CB. Not to mention TD always draft based off of need, I feel that with the addition of Samuels CB is not longer a priority need. With Babs being a year older, going into his last year of his contract and coming off of a less than idea season. And if you also couple that with Jerry not necessary living up to the 1st round billing, DT has to be our number one need on defense.

Nice work!jhkh.gif

Thanks!

Call me crazy but I just can't see either of them falling to the mid 20s with CB being a high profile position and the inflation of the price for CB. Not to mention TD always draft based off of need, I feel that with the addition of Samuels CB is not longer a priority need. With Babs being a year older, going into his last year of his contract and coming off of a less than idea season. And if you also couple that with Jerry not necessary living up to the 1st round billing, DT has to be our number one need on defense.

Thanks!

Your entire premise is shot and I can explain in a few sentences.

TD only makes moves based off of need, yet we had Dunta and Grimes and he traded for Asante to give us 3 stud CBs because Nolans D needs that. Franks is a special teamed a good dime back for us who can play nickel well enough if there's an injury.

Grimes is counting 10 mil against the cap and as a team we are 3 under the cap. If we don't resign Grimes or if we do and then cut Dunta, we'd still need that 3rd stud CB. A 1st round CB would be MUCH cheaper than keeping both Grimes and Dunta and would give us cap space to go after a RB like Jon Stewart or another key player. It's also been widely rumored that this is Grimes last season in ATL -- 5'9 CBs whose athletic abilities start declining become major liabilities and we don't want to commit big money to 3 CBs long term.

Asante and Xavier Rhodes outside with Dunta in the slot would give us a great secondary and about 9 million more under the cap to resign William Moore and potentially sign big time FA like a RB, DT, DE, or OT.

It would be worth trading up to the middle of the round for Rhodes when you consider we can either re-sign a 30 year old Grimes and get a late 1st round pick with no cap $$ left or draft Xavier Rhodes and have money to sign Jonathan Stewart and Glenn Dorsey.

Your entire premise is shot and I can explain in a few sentences.

TD only makes moves based off of need, yet we had Dunta and Grimes and he traded for Asante to give us 3 stud CBs because Nolans D needs that. Franks is a special teamed a good dime back for us who can play nickel well enough if there's an injury.

Grimes is counting 10 mil against the cap and as a team we are 3 under the cap. If we don't resign Grimes or if we do and then cut Dunta, we'd still need that 3rd stud CB. A 1st round CB would be MUCH cheaper than keeping both Grimes and Dunta and would give us cap space to go after a RB like Jon Stewart or another key player. It's also been widely rumored that this is Grimes last season in ATL -- 5'9 CBs whose athletic abilities start declining become major liabilities and we don't want to commit big money to 3 CBs long term.

Asante and Xavier Rhodes outside with Dunta in the slot would give us a great secondary and about 9 million more under the cap to resign William Moore and potentially sign big time FA like a RB, DT, DE, or OT.

It would be worth trading up to the middle of the round for Rhodes when you consider we can either re-sign a 30 year old Grimes and get a late 1st round pick with no cap $$ left or draft Xavier Rhodes and have money to sign Jonathan Stewart and Glenn Dorsey.

That is a lot of potential moves for a player who is not consider a top 10 talent are you sure you want to do all of that for Rhodes? I just don't see TD franchising Grimes, trading for Samuels and not cutting Dunta this only to trade up to draft a player who is just a run of the mill cb. It would make more sense to draft a cb in later rounds like Banks or Trufant and not have so much of a drop off in talent not to mention keep all your picks. You act as if Rhodes is the missing piece. Give me Samuels, Grimes or Danta versus and unproven talent that I have to trade away picks or future picks. Just too much risk not enough reward for me!

We are going to have salary cap space after this year with Baker, TG, and potential Turner coming off the books (about 15 million). Moore is not going to command that much money to resign nor will Sid if we were to decide to keep him.

• 5 weeks later...

Panthers agreed to terms with RB Jonathan Stewart on a five-year, $36.5 million extension.

GM Marty Hurney wasn't kidding when he said Stewart wasn't on the trade block. The deal includes $22.5 million guaranteed. It could be seen as a puzzling move for a team that sunk $21 million guaranteed into DeAngelo Williams last summer, but Williams' guarantees are up after 2012. It's a strong sign Williams will either be cut or asked to restructure in the offseason, though cutting D-Will would entail a roughly $4.85 million cap hit. One of the league's most dynamic young backs, Stewart averaged a sizzling 5.4 yards on his 142 carries last season, and added 47 catches for 413 receiving yards. He's locked in as a high-end RB2 for 2012, and boasts RB1 upside in Dynasty leagues, though his future is tied to Williams'.

D@mn this hurts!!!!!!

I wonder what they'll do with DeAngelo Williams after this season. His contract is no longer guaranteed and they're better of trading him for whatever they can get to free up millions in cap room to bring in a real weapon for Cam -- a WR -- or a defender. Or perhaps release him so they can spend in FA again.

Teams like the Jets, who would happily move Santonio Holmes, make a sensible trade partner for DWill since they want to ground and pound and Santonio would be extremely happy in Carolina with Cam Newton. The offense would be Steve Smith, Santonio Holmes, Brandon LaFell/Joe Adams, Greg Olsen, Jon Stewart, Cam Newton....that's tough. Good thing they aren't making that trade.