Yac Yards

I know most of the Ryan haters blame Ryan (big shock I know) for the lack of YAC yards the Falcons get most of the time. Sure the Falcons broke off a few really long plays. But even on simple plays YAC yards can quickly add up and make a big difference.

One of Mularkey's favorite plays is the having the TE drag across the middle to make for an easy pitch and catch play for the QB. Well I'm currently watching the 2009 Browns vs. Lions game. The Lions just ran a play just like the one described. Brandon Pettigrew, lined up on the end of the line, runs a 5-yard in route across the middle. The play ends up picking up 29 yards even though the throw was only about 5 yards. Pettigrew's speed and quickness allowed him to run pass the MLB and turn it up the field and pick up a big chunk of yards.

Tony Gonzalez doesn't have nearly the same speed and quickness to do that. He might have gotten pass the MLB on that play I just saw and might have gotten 14 or 15 yards and a first down but that's still only puts him at half of what Pettigrew got on the play.

Just putting this out there because I'm bored and felt like seeing what the reaction would be,

YAC is tied more to receivers than QBs. It seems like QBs should have more effect (and they do have some) but high YAC receivers have high YAC even when the backup QB is in. Low YAC receivers stay low with different QBs.

That shows YAC is more about system and receivers than the QB. I'm hoping this system enables more YAC. But, until last year, Roddy was the only guy with YAC potential (Jenkins with none, TG with minimal, etc.)

Now, Roddy has some YAC potential, Julio has a lot, HD can have a bit if utilized properly, and Quizz on screens. TG still won't be able to get much, but there's some potential more much easier yardage. It's a lot harder when most of your yards are through the air.

YAC is tied more to receivers than QBs. It seems like QBs should have more effect (and they do have some) but high YAC receivers have high YAC even when the backup QB is in. Low YAC receivers stay low with different QBs.

That shows YAC is more about system and receivers than the QB. I'm hoping this system enables more YAC. But, until last year, Roddy was the only guy with YAC potential (Jenkins with none, TG with minimal, etc.)

Now, Roddy has some YAC potential, Julio has a lot, HD can have a bit if utilized properly, and Quizz on screens. TG still won't be able to get much, but there's some potential more much easier yardage. It's a lot harder when most of your yards are through the air.

I agree. Really hard to get YAC on comeback and out routes and rollout plays to the sidelines which were some of Mularkey's favorite plays.

Why you bitchin then? I never see you or other ryanettes blame his poor accuracy for any portion of the lack of yac. Never. Unless you'd like to point to an instance where you've done so.

Wow. Not bitchin. Just pointing out a fact that not you or anyone can't deny. Tony Gonzalez doesn't have the speed or quickness to get YAC yards.

A lot was tied to MM's system of comebacks. It seemed like that's all we ran.

I think Roddy and Gonzalez will be low in YAC this year because they are more possession guys than speed (although I hate to use the word possession with a drop prone receiver).

Douglas and Julio will be the guys that give us that YAC

Roddy has plenty of speed to get YAC.

Wow. Not bitchin. Just Tony Gonzalez doesn't have the speed or quickness to get YAC yards.

I agree but that's not what he's here for. We have 3 speedy receivers to do that. When those receivers are outrunning passes theres a problem. I'll give you a hint, there's no such thing as a receiver running too fast. Far too often our receivers are having to hit the brakes and make spectacular grabs on poorly thrown balls. Just pointing out a fact that not you or anyone can't deny. Just Matt Ryan doesn't have the accuracy or arm strength to consistently hit our receivers in stride to get YAC yards.

Put a real qb in this offense and theres no way we dont put up well over 5000 passing yards and 40 tds easy.

I agree but that's not what he's here for. We have 3 speedy receivers to do that. When those receivers are outrunning passes theres a problem. I'll give you a hint, there's no such thing as a receiver running too fast. Far too often our receivers are having to hit the brakes and make spectacular grabs on poorly thrown balls. Just pointing out a fact that not you or anyone can't deny. Just Matt Ryan doesn't have the accuracy or arm strength to consistently hit our receivers in stride to get YAC yards.

Put a real qb in this offense and theres no way we dont put up well over 5000 passing yards and 40 tds easy.

Wow what games were you watching last season? Ryan's biggest problem on long passes was overthrowing his receivers last season. BTW I really like your forum name. What is this so called "No More Excuses for Failure" you have so absurdly named yourself? If having the most wins in the NFC over the course of his career is failure, then please give me more. Like so many kids these days, you just can't appreciate the struggle for greatness. You just want your instant gratification, and when you can't get it you go sulk in the corner like a little baby.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

Wow what games were you watching last season? Ryan's biggest problem on long passes was overthrowing his receivers last season. BTW I really like your forum name. What is this so called "No More Excuses for Failure" you have so absurdly named yourself? If having the most wins in the NFC over the course of his career is failure, then please give me more. Like so many kids these days, you just can't appreciate the struggle for greatness. You just want your instant gratification, and when you can't get it you go sulk in the corner like a little baby.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Who said long passes? I didn't, because that's not what I was talking about. I'm sure you believe everytime a receiver had to stop or slow down to catch a pass that it was by design. No. That was them adjusting to yet another duck.

Just noticed your son is 82nd. I'm sure you're very proud, I have family who served in the 82nd and I'm very proud of them. My hats off to your son.

Edited by No More Excuses 4 Failure

If you guys want to go look at the actual stats, you'll see YAC ties to receiver. Otherwise, you can just debate. Welker got YAC even with Cassell. Boldin got YAC. TO got YAC with tons of different QBs. It's a pattern...and the pattern is good YAC receivers get YAC. Sure, the QB makes some difference, but it's 80% the receivers on that one.

Ryan had plenty of chances to give our receivers more yac by simply hitting them in stride. How often do we have to see our guys let off the gas pedal or flat out stop and turn around to catch a duck? Lets get our qbs accuracy right before we start putting blame elsewhere. Nice try though.

Ryan's accuracy? Does he have an accuracy problem?

Ryan's accuracy? Does he have an accuracy problem?

Accuracy is an issue...Just not for Ryan! He intentionally makes those back shoulders throws in order to place the ball in a position where either our recievers catch it or it falls to the turf. It's called intelligent quarterbacking. This helps in a far more important stat than YAC.....INT's! Gonzo is our 3rd down and redzone guy. Although he routinely gets an extra three yards per catch by his awareness of where defenders are and adjusting his body accordingly. BTW last year, Gonzo averaged over a yard more per catch over Pettigrew.