Falcons Rapid Reports: June 20

theProf

Latest Falcons RapidReports

Jones looking sharp

by Knox Bardeen, CBSSports.com

QB Matt Ryan on what WR Julio Jones focused on in the offseason: “Really just to work on technique, work on route running and try to understand our offense a little bit more in-depth. He’s done a great job. He’s worked really hard. He seems really confident out there.”

23 minutes agoCBSSports.com

What defensive schemes will Nolan use?

New DC Mike Nolan talked about the use of hybrid 3-4 schemes in Atlanta's 4-3 base. “We’ll be a 4-3 and we’ll use 3-4 at times, but we’ll be primarily a 4-3 because this team is built that way,” Nolan said. “You want to play to your player’s strengths.”

28 minutes agoCBSSports.com

White happy Samuel's a Falcon

WR Roddy White not only is glad not to have to look across and see new CB Asante Samuel on game day, he’s happy with the attitude Samuel brings to the defense. “I love that guy,” said White. “He keeps the defense hot and brought that spark to the team.”

32 minutes agoCBSSports.com

Abraham glad to be reunited with Nolan

DE John Abraham was with new DC Mike Nolan in 2000 when both were with the New York Jets. “I'm glad to be back with him,” said Abraham. “He's one of the reasons I wanted to be back here.”

35 minutes agoCBSSports.com

Collins: Defense will be bringing pressure on third down

by Matt Rybaltowski, CBSSports.com

Defensive Assistant Mark Collins on what’s new in Mike Nolan’s defense compared to last season: “It’s going to be a little more flexible on third downs, there’s going to be a lot more pressure, and a lot more versatility in coverage as well.”

YesterdayCBSSports.com

Robinson praises DC Nolan's playbook

CB Dunta Robinson on DC Mike Nolan: “It’s totally different from what I’ve been used to. Mike Nolan is an established coach in this league and we trust the position that he’s going to put us in. He’s basically giving us a playbook but allowing us to get to positions on our own.”

YesterdayCBSSports.com

CB Robinson excited about move to slot

CB Dunta Robinson on moving inside to the slot position: “It’s what I did pretty much for six years in Houston and it’s something I’m very used to. It’s going to give us a chance to get all three of our corners on the field at the same time.”

YesterdayCBSSports.com

Falcons sign brother of Jets' K Nick Folk

The Falcons announced Tuesday that they have signed K Erik Folk. Folk was a three-year starter at the University of Washington and is younger brother to New York Jets kicker Nick Folk. He will act as K Matt Bryant's backup in camp.

YesterdayCBSSports.com

Blalock: OL Konz picking up multiple roles quickly

OL Justin Blalock on rookie OL Peter Konz: “He can play multiple positions. He’s a center, a guard, what have you. And he’s taken up both quite well. That’s something a lot of guys that have been here for years can’t do extremely well. He’s picking it up pretty naturally.”

5 days agoCBSSports.com

O-line coach Hill looking for two-way communication

OL Justin Blalock on new OL coach Pat Hill: “He’s willing to learn what we see. He asks a lot of questions, as many as we do. He wants to see what we’re looking at and our perspective on what’s going on out there. That’s going to be really helpful -- good communication back and forth.”

5 days agoCBSSports.com

LG Blalock impressed with Konz, Holmes

LG Justin Blalock on rookies Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes: “They’re really coming along quite quickly. If they mess something up once they don’t do it again, typically. They’re very quick in the meeting room to understand concepts really well.”

5 days agoCBSSports.com

Latest Falcons RapidReports

Jones looking sharp

QB Matt Ryan on what WR Julio Jones focused on in the offseason: “Really just to work on technique, work on route running and try to understand our offense a little bit more in-depth. He’s done a great job. He’s worked really hard. He seems really confident out there.”

23 minutes agoCBSSports.com

What defensive schemes will Nolan use?

New DC Mike Nolan talked about the use of hybrid 3-4 schemes in Atlanta's 4-3 base. “We’ll be a 4-3 and we’ll use 3-4 at times, but we’ll be primarily a 4-3 because this team is built that way,” Nolan said. “You want to play to your player’s strengths.”

28 minutes agoCBSSports.com

White happy Samuel's a Falcon

WR Roddy White not only is glad not to have to look across and see new CB Asante Samuel on game day, he’s happy with the attitude Samuel brings to the defense. “I love that guy,” said White. “He keeps the defense hot and brought that spark to the team.”

32 minutes agoCBSSports.com

Abraham glad to be reunited with Nolan

DE John Abraham was with new DC Mike Nolan in 2000 when both were with the New York Jets. “I'm glad to be back with him,” said Abraham. “He's one of the reasons I wanted to be back here.”

35 minutes agoCBSSports.com

Collins: Defense will be bringing pressure on third down

by Matt Rybaltowski, CBSSports.com

Defensive Assistant Mark Collins on what’s new in Mike Nolan’s defense compared to last season: “It’s going to be a little more flexible on third downs, there’s going to be a lot more pressure, and a lot more versatility in coverage as well.”

YesterdayCBSSports.com

Robinson praises DC Nolan's playbook

CB Dunta Robinson on DC Mike Nolan: “It’s totally different from what I’ve been used to. Mike Nolan is an established coach in this league and we trust the position that he’s going to put us in. He’s basically giving us a playbook but allowing us to get to positions on our own.”

YesterdayCBSSports.com

CB Robinson excited about move to slot

CB Dunta Robinson on moving inside to the slot position: “It’s what I did pretty much for six years in Houston and it’s something I’m very used to. It’s going to give us a chance to get all three of our corners on the field at the same time.”

YesterdayCBSSports.com

Falcons sign brother of Jets' K Nick Folk

The Falcons announced Tuesday that they have signed K Erik Folk. Folk was a three-year starter at the University of Washington and is younger brother to New York Jets kicker Nick Folk. He will act as K Matt Bryant's backup in camp.

YesterdayCBSSports.com

Blalock: OL Konz picking up multiple roles quickly

OL Justin Blalock on rookie OL Peter Konz: “He can play multiple positions. He’s a center, a guard, what have you. And he’s taken up both quite well. That’s something a lot of guys that have been here for years can’t do extremely well. He’s picking it up pretty naturally.”

5 days agoCBSSports.com

O-line coach Hill looking for two-way communication

OL Justin Blalock on new OL coach Pat Hill: “He’s willing to learn what we see. He asks a lot of questions, as many as we do. He wants to see what we’re looking at and our perspective on what’s going on out there. That’s going to be really helpful -- good communication back and forth.”

5 days agoCBSSports.com

LG Blalock impressed with Konz, Holmes

LG Justin Blalock on rookies Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes: “They’re really coming along quite quickly. If they mess something up once they don’t do it again, typically. They’re very quick in the meeting room to understand concepts really well.”

5 days agoCBSSports.com

Man, excited about the D the most. Nolan is bringing many different looks and sounds like the guys are excited also. Samuels brings the swagger we need. All we need to do on offense is give Ryan a pocket and be unpredictable with our playcalling. The sky is the limit. Thanks Prof for the info!

Guest Fibonacci

Robinson did very well today.

pressure on third down...sure did look like it today.

Julio is sharp, but so is white and douglas and meier....they really are on all there games.

Julio and white had the hard catches....white had were balls were low

Thanks for telling me if the line is doing well....I really have no clue.

Yeah I am always excited this time of year, but this year I am especially pumped up. Since the TD, Smitty and Ryan era began we have had really good offenses, but our defense has been mediocre at best. If Nolan can get this defense playing like we hope he can, we could really be looking at a special year coming up. All the offense has to do is improve the O-line (still crossing my fingers on this one) even slightly for us to win big.

@Prof or whomever:

Is Lamar Holmes a full participant in practice?

Holmes is at minicamp, but still not actually practicing per Ledbetter's update following the Tuesday minicamp sessions:

"Etc.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez was excused from attending the minicamp because of a death in his family. Offensive tackle Will Svitek also was excused for family reasons. His father is sick. ... Wednesday’s practice from 3:30-5:20 p.m. is open to the public. Thursday’s practice from 10:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. is open to the public. ... Defensive end Cliff Matthews, who was out with an undisclosed injury, participated in both minicamp sessions. Linebacker Stephen Nicholas (toe), offensive tackle Lamar Holmes (foot), defensive tackle Corey Peters (foot) did not practice. ... Wide receiver Harry Douglas made a tough catch in traffic on a deep pass from quarterback Matt Ryan."

Decoud might have a pro bowl season in this defense. He always seems to be around the ball when QBs are rushed and he makes the pick.

Quite honestly, TD imho is not a player that was held back by scheme...bad angles/missed picks/tackles.

When consistency of his play matches the consistency of his flamboyance he will be pro-bowl caliber...regardless of scheme.

Defensive line and CB/NB should gain the most from Nolan imho.