Yasinskas Ranks Turner #23 In Nfc South Top 25

theProf

NFC South top 25: No. 23

Jun 20 11:05 AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

We continue our series of my projected top 25 players in the NFC South for the 2012 season with No. 23:

Michael Turner, running back, Atlanta

What he did in 2011: Turner rushed for 1,340 yards and 11 touchdowns on 301 carries. He also caught 17 passes for 168 yards. Those are very good numbers for any running back. But Turner and Atlanta’s offense weren’t very consistent last year. Turner’s yards tended to come in bunches. He finished the season with a 172-yard game against Tampa Bay, but went five straight games without a 100-yard performance before that. In an embarrassing playoff loss to the New York Giants, Turner was as ineffective as the rest of Atlanta’s offense. He finished that game with 41 yards on 15 carries.

Why he’s No. 23 in 2012: Although Turner now is 30 and has lots of miles on his legs, I still see him as a 1,000-yard rusher. Yeah, I know the Falcons have been very consistent this offseason in stating that the number of carries for Turner will be reduced. But that doesn’t mean the Falcons are trying to phase him out of the offense. They merely are trying to help him continue to be effective. The coaching staff wants to keep his legs fresher than in past years and second-year pro Jacquizz Rodgers is going to get a lot more playing time than he did a year ago. The Falcons also want more out of their downfield passing game. But the increased use of Rodgers and more passes downfield should only help Turner. He’s a power back, capable of wearing down a defense. He can do a better job of that if he’s fresh and the offense at least has a threat of a downfield passing game.

to break it down evenly the top 25 in the NFCS is roughly the 6 best players from each team. (24 total)

So pretty much every team has 5-6 players on their roster better than Turner according to PatY. I am guessing no on that one when just thinking off the top of my head.....

Well, lets see who Just the Falcons would have if we took their top 6....it is almost impossible to find a top 6 that is indisputable. Heck, Turner may not be a top 6 player on this roster honestly. But do the other 3 teams all have 5-6 players better than Turner? Thats the question.

* indictes my top 6 as of today (not just 2011 stats)

Turner

*White

*Jones

Gonzalez

Abraham

*Weatherspoon

*Ryan

*Grimes

*Samuel

(not to mention Clabo and Blaylock, evn though they arent glory positions)

23 is about right. Like someone said above, it comes out to about 6 players a team.

Matt Ryan

Roddy White

Julio Jones

Tyson Clabo

Brent Grimes

Sean Weatherspoon

Are all definitely above him in terms of ranking at position in NFL.

I'd also say Asante but I know Asante isn't on the list. Personally I'd rank Moore higher for 2012 but I doubt he's on the list. TG is probably on the list, but I'd disagree with him above Turner. So if he's the 7th best player on our team (4x7=28) and its a top 25 list for our division......yes that is about correct.

23 is about right. Like someone said above, it comes out to about 6 players a team.

Matt Ryan

Roddy White

Julio Jones

Tyson Clabo

Brent Grimes

Sean Weatherspoon

Are all definitely above him in terms of ranking at position in NFL.

I'd also say Asante but I know Asante isn't on the list. Personally I'd rank Moore higher for 2012 but I doubt he's on the list. TG is probably on the list, but I'd disagree with him above Turner. So if he's the 7th best player on our team (4x7=28) and its a top 25 list for our division......yes that is about correct.

I agree with this.

I'm going to wait until I see Pat's entire list before I rush to judgment/criticism. I'm expecting to see 5-7 Falcons on it in total, and that sounds about right for Turner.

Heck, I'd personally put him below Gonzalez, White, Jones, Abraham and Weatherspoon... and maybe Ryan, Samuel, and Grimes as well. All those players are arguably in consideration for Top 10 (or even Top 5) in their position going into 2012, and I'm not sure Turner is going to be in Top 10 consideration this season if Quizz and Snelling actually get a lot more involved.

Edited by virginiafalcon

I was thinking that he meant that as well but he might have thought about Tolbert as the 3rd back.

Yes I was referring to Tolbert. He's 26 and I would take him in a heart beat over Turner at 30. I'm in San Diego and see a lot of Tolbert and I like what he brings. Reminds me of when Turner was here. A little bowling ball, so to speak.