Brian Price Pummeled Mark Barron For Taking His Seat

Zodiac

Per Walterfootball and Charlie Campbell

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have wanted to use this offseason to reconstruct the culture at One Buc Place.

New head coach Greg Schiano has instituted a number of changes: the practice schedule; the offseasontraining regimen; the freedom of players and assistant coaches to speak with the media; and even the temperature on the thermostats. General Manager Mark Dominik and Director of Player Personnel Dennis Hickey survived the purge of the old coaching staff, despite the team going 17-31 over the past three seasons and having not drafted a Pro Bowler in the last six years.

Domink, Hickey and Schiano have added pieces to the roster and are instituting a new environment in the locker room, but the team has continued to have issues with discipline. WalterFootball.com has learned from multiple sources with the Buccaneers about a fight that took place following the 2012 NFL Draft.

Early in the morning at the start of an OTA day, the team was assembling for a meeting. Defensive tackle Brian Price told rookie safety Mark Barron that he was sitting in Price's seat. In short order, Barron was getting pummeled by Price. The third-year tackle was said to have gotten in a good number of punches before teammates pulled him off Barron. Both players were removed from the meeting as Barron's face was said to be bloodied.

With that fight as a contributing factor, Price has been held out of much of the offseason program. Sources with the team have said that Price has always been a good guy in the locker room and a supportive teammate. They said he is just going through an excruciating time personally, and that led to his outburst.

Neither agent for Price nor Barron responded to WalterFootball.com’s requests for comment on this story. The Buccaneers also declined to comment on the incident.

Emotions have been running high for Price, and understandably so. Unfortunately, the talented tackle has been dealing with another family tragedy. Earlier in the offseason, Price lost his sister in a fatal car accident. She had two young sons whom Price is adopting.

Price was close with his sister, and the grief has been a tremendous obstacle for him. This is the third time that Price has lost a sibling, and he is only 23 years old. Growing up in Los Angeles, Price had two brothers murdered. The Buccaneers have been trying to help him. He was hospitalized briefly this offseason as the grief and exhaustion made him ill.

Price missed most of his rookie season in 2010 with a pelvis and hamstring injuries dating back to his time at UCLA. In his second season, Price started 14 games and played through pain stemming from his surgically repaired pelvis and hamstrings, and an ankle injury down the stretch.

The 6-foot-1, 303-pounder improved in his second season recording three sacks and playing the run well. ESPN's NFC South expert Pat Yasinskas named Price to his all NFC South team over veterans like the Saints' Sedrick Ellis and Falcons' Jonathan Babineaux.

Tampa Bay was planning on Price being a starter in 2012, but if he needs more time to tend to his family, the team has a veteran in Amobi Okoye who could start in Price's place. Tampa Bay has a lot of depth at defensive tackle with other veterans like 2009 third-round pick Roy Miller, Frank Okam, Gary Gibson and undrafted rookie Jordan Nix. With that stable and a new coaching staff that has worked more with other players this offseason, Price will need a strong preseason to help his standing.

It is possible the team could move on if those players fit the "Buccaneer Way" and embrace being "Buccaneer Men," as Schiano puts it. Tampa Bay has released veteran starter Tanard Jackson and traded away tight end Kellen Winslow in part because they didn't fit Schiano's new program.

While the Bucs' organization has been supportive of him, Price will definitely have to prove he is a good long-term fit with the team after taking out personal frustrations on the seventh-overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Barron was Schiano's first pick and is a selection that the front office needs to work out. Dominik and Hickey are on the hot seat in 2012, and they took Barron over players like Cowboys' cornerback Morris Claiborne and Panthers' linebacker Luke Kuechly.

Getting your face bloodied by a veteran is a tough way to start his early days of work with the Bucs, but Barron avoided serious injury and practiced after the incident. Tampa Bay was banking on both Barron and Price being key defenders this season. It bears watching to see if the incident has ramifications for Price and the Buccaneers in the months to come.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to comment on what Price has been through emotionally since he came in to the league?

Maybe comment on the fact that he was hospitalized after his sister's death from dehydration?

The guy is the epitome of trying to overcome some very horrible circumstances since he came into the league. I'm not going to fault him for losing his composure, all I want for him is to get right... and provide his nephews with a stable and happy home.

Even if that means that the poor kid might not play football again. He deserves it, but as a human being, I want him to be right. He's been a model citizen for the team, but life is more important than football.

Best of luck to you, Brian.

Anyone want to comment on what Price has been through emotionally since he came in to the league?

Maybe comment on the fact that he was hospitalized after his sister's death from dehydration?

The guy is the epitome of trying to overcome some very horrible circumstances since he came into the league. I'm not going to fault him for losing his composure, all I want for him is to get right... and provide his nephews with a stable and happy home.

Even if that means that the poor kid might not play football again. He deserves it, but as a human being, I want him to be right. He's been a model citizen for the team, but life is more important than football.

Gawd forbid we hold a person accountable for their actions. He's had a rough go of it, I get it. That doesn't give him the right to beat-down his teammate because he wouldn't move in a meeting.

This reminds me when I went to court after my Jeep was stolen this past winter, the defense(public defender) tried to paint me as a criminal, saying 'My actions caused his client to break the law and I was just as guilty' The judge laughed and gave the guy 8 years(he had stolen 4 cars)

I'm in the process of paying for the 2010 Dodge Durango and School Bus he wrecked into when he totaled the Jeep while fleeing the cops. I pretty much have zero recourse, as the guy is a career criminal at the age of 19, never worked a day in his life and is likely to be in and out of the system, until he takes his much deserved dirt nap.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_central_cincinnati/norwood/suspect-who-crashed-into-school-bus-after-chase-in-court

What a load of crap, this country's going to ****!

Gawd forbid we hold a person accountable for their actions. He's had a rough go of it, I get it. That doesn't give him the right to beat-down his teammate because he wouldn't move in a meeting.

This reminds me when I went to court after my Jeep was stolen this past winter, the defense(public defender) tried to paint me as a criminal, saying 'My actions caused his client to break the law and I was just as guilty' The judge laughed and gave the guy 8 years(he had stolen 4 cars)

I'm in the process of paying for the 2010 Dodge Durango and School Bus he wrecked into when he totaled the Jeep while fleeing the cops. I pretty much have zero recourse, as the guy is a career criminal at the age of 19, never worked a day in his life and is likely to be in and out of the system, until he takes his much deserved dirt nap.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_central_cincinnati/norwood/suspect-who-crashed-into-school-bus-after-chase-in-court

What a load of crap, this country's going to ****!

you're right, price should totally be punished for your jeep being stolen

Edited by Syc0la

He HAS been held accountable for his actions... he has been staying away from the team until he gets himself right. What do you want, a suspension?

Guys get in fights everyday in practice, want me to start taking a look around the division for occurrences of teammates fighting teammates?

Or is it just the fact that nobody gave a **** when some dude stole your durango, so you are **** bent on not giving a **** for anyone else?

Continue to make a mountain our of a mole-hill over a guy who is the epitome of what Schiano is looking for in his players, except for an incident that happened 3 days after his remaining sister died in a car accident and he took guardianship over her children. I'd like to see how you respond in that situation. All is fair in football rivalries, huh?

In my little interaction and both you and Brian Price, I'd much more likely call Brian Price a decent human being.

He HAS been held accountable for his actions... he has been staying away from the team until he gets himself right. What do you want, a suspension?

Guys get in fights everyday in practice, want me to start taking a look around the division for occurrences of teammates fighting teammates?

Or is it just the fact that nobody gave a **** when some dude stole your durango, so you are **** bent on not giving a **** for anyone else?

Continue to make a mountain our of a mole-hill over a guy who is the epitome of what Schiano is looking for in his players, except for an incident that happened 3 days after his remaining sister died in a car accident and he took guardianship over her children. I'd like to see how you respond in that situation. All is fair in football rivalries, huh?

In my little interaction and both you and Brian Price, I'd much more likely call Brian Price a decent human being.

What is so alien to you people about being held responsible for your actions. Dude, should be fined and defiantly needs help, serious help. That's all I said in response to your mother like defense of him pummeling your rookie DB.

This has nothing to do with my Jeep, but people pushing the blame for their actions on others(IE I'll hit you cause my sister died) It's not like it happened at practice, it was an OTA meeting for ****'s sake.

SMH

OH cool. So this has nothing to do with your Jeep.

Remind me again why YOU brought it up?

So Brian Price gets a free pass to misbehave because he's going through hard times? K.

In the meantime Price's standing with the Bucs plummets while Barron is laughing all the way to the bank. Hope Price didn't batter than million dollar smile.

dm_120426_nfl_mcshay_barron.jpg

The rookie should have listened to the vet, and moved. Especially considering the crap Price has been going through in his personal life. Don't frack with a guy that's already close to the edge.

Ya know who started all this rookie disrespect, dontcha!!??

Dez "Carry your own pads" Bryant.

Freakin' Cowboys!wink.png

(Missing En29)...

OH cool. So this has nothing to do with your Jeep.

Remind me again why YOU brought it up?

Because this is a internet message board, and people are allowed to look as foolish as they wish. This dude's like many others here that HATE the BUCS simply because they've shown over the course of their history, that when it really counts they can actually FINISH THE DEAL and don't have to rely on weak excuses.

Per Walterfootball and Charlie Campbell

Funny how you homers jump on ANYTHING to take away from the fact that the Falcons are the biggest choke artists in the modern day NFL. At least the Buffalo Bills won some playoff games on their road to 4 straight Super Bowl losses!laugh.png

Funny how you homers jump on ANYTHING to take away from the fact that the Falcons are the biggest choke artists in the modern day NFL. At least the Buffalo Bills won some playoff games on their road to 4 straight Super Bowl losses!laugh.png

Choke artists?!?

2008 Lost on the road to the eventual NFC champion

2010 Got embarrassed at home to eventual champs

2011 Offense was held scoreless in loss on the road to eventual champs

I'm not seeing any choke jobs, just us getting beat by a better team.

You're really grasping at straws, I guess you'll do anything to distract away from the thuggery that goes on at One Buc Place.

Embrace Thug Life, gangsta!!

I guess it is status quo, but I find it funny had this been a member of the Falcons he would be getting ripped by you and countless other rival fans. It's a player for the team you admire and there is a perfectly good excuse for his actions? RCDS at it's finest...

Choke artists?!?

2008 Lost on the road to the eventual NFC champion

2010 Got embarrassed at home to eventual champs

2011 Offense was held scoreless in loss on the road to eventual champs

I'm not seeing any choke jobs, just us getting beat by a better team.

You're really grasping at straws, I guess you'll do anything to distract away from the thuggery that goes on at One Buc Place.

Embrace Thug Life, gangsta!!

I thought it was ALL Raheem's fault that was going on. Wait what? huh.png:o

Edited by Falcon Man

I guess it is status quo, but I find it funny had this been a member of the Falcons he would be getting ripped by you and countless other rival fans. It's a player for the team you admire and there is a perfectly good excuse for his actions? RCDS at it's finest...

we would be ripping the falcons! hahahaha

But i personally do feel bad for the guy. To lose 3 siblings by the age 23, and now he is adopting those kids. I dont think thats a good idea if he cant get his act straight though.