Rotoworld Game Tape Review Of Julio Jones

It's based off of two games, vs. Seattle and vs. New Orleans which happen to be his two highest target games and at the start and end of the season respectively. They also give other notes on Turner, Roddy, and Quizz.

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40717/179/re-watching-julio-cam-locker

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones

For game review, I chose Jones' two most heavily-targeted appearances. They were Week 4 at Seattle (15 targets) and Week 16 at New Orleans (14). This worked out nicely because it gave me a chance to examine one early-season and one late-season game. Jones was a rookie in 2011, so it forced me to keep an eye out for improvements over the course of the year.

The first play that really stuck out was a 45-yard bomb down the left sideline, with Seahawks RCB Brandon Browner in tight coverage. Matt Ryan's underthrown deep ball died a bit at the end of its trajectory. Yet Jones contorted his body back to the quarterback to secure Ryan's pass in a two-handed basket while maintaining full stride throughout his route. Body control along the sideline can be a difference-making trait for a deep threat. And that play suggests Jones has it in spades.

After watching the two games, my mind wandered back to Jones' days at Alabama. He wasn't a deep threat for the Crimson Tide. Jones was primarily a possession receiver, doing his damage in the short to intermediate and relying on run-after-catch physicality to rack up yards. The Falcons used Jones as a vertical, split end receiver, and he's playing much faster than he did in college. He's already a complete NFL player. I think he compares favorably to early-career Terrell Owens.

Other quick takeaways from the Falcons game reviews:

** Michael Turner had more short-area burst early in the season than he did against New Orleans in Week 16. Statistics support the notion that Turner faded in the second half of the year.

** Roddy White was largely a possession receiver in both games, exploiting defensive backs' "off" coverage and reeling in short catches. Jones was the Falcons' deep threat, although he made more plays at the intermediate level in the late-season game than he did in the early-year contest.

** I don't think Matt Ryan's arm strength will prove a major deterrent for his long-term outlook, but it's about league average -- and no better -- among entrenched NFL starters. His velocity on 17- to 22-yard digs can be inconsistent, and Ryan's intermediate passes have a tendency to float.

** Jacquizz Rodgers is 5-foot-6, 196, so he's probably going to need some special qualities in order to make it as more than a change-of-pace back in the NFL. Rodgers ran a pretty wheel route before hauling in a 31-yard touchdown against Carolina, but his run skills looked ordinary to me.

I'm getting a little tired for the TO-comparisons simply because he's big and physical. I myself have always said he compares to T.O. and Andre Johnson vs. AJ Green who compares to a Randy Moss without the long speed. However, I would then add on that Julio is much faster than Terrell Owens which could lead to him becoming an even better receiver. Owens early in his career was a great WR with amazing run after the catch ability, but he wasn't a burner. Julio is the same, except if he gets an angle he's gone for an 80 yard touchdown. He's also a better blocker than Owens and his football IQ seems higher as a young player than TO as a young player.

Needless to say, we've got a guy who is going to be one of the best in the league in a few years with Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, and Dez Bryant. That's exciting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIDENOTE: Please someone tell me how to upload a screen shot into a post or PM. Can't figure it out for the life of me.

I agree with alot of what this guy wrote. Especially the part about Quizz. From what I saw he runs harder than a normal little guy would, but I just dont see the break away speed nor do I see the ability to make moves. I didnt really see much. People compared him to Norwood but I dont think they are alike at all. They said Quizz would be what Norwood never was. I thought so too, but I hope hes able to prove alot with this new offense where he can make something happen. Other than that, until I see more, I think Snelling is better overall.

I agree with alot of what this guy wrote. Especially the part about Quizz. From what I saw he runs harder than a normal little guy would, but I just dont see the break away speed nor do I see the ability to make moves.

He has the explosion but lacks the top end speed. I love Quizz, but he is only a role player. 5th round pick isn't going to become your lead back or anything.

I don't have any problem with the JJ comparison to TO I mean TO did produce on the field theres no denying that I think most tend to judge him by his off field antics which do leave alot to be desired but if JJ produces like TO did throughout his career with that top end burst he'll be a special for alot of years to come.

With regards to Quizz I don't expect anything to much just a guy who will come in and do a job for us on 3rd down be a threat behind pulling lineman get lost in a crowd behind those big guys he doesn't need burning speed to get the above done.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I agree with alot of what this guy wrote. Especially the part about Quizz. From what I saw he runs harder than a normal little guy would, but I just dont see the break away speed nor do I see the ability to make moves. I didnt really see much. People compared him to Norwood but I dont think they are alike at all. They said Quizz would be what Norwood never was. I thought so too, but I hope hes able to prove alot with this new offense where he can make something happen. Other than that, until I see more, I think Snelling is better overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBkyk7VhDM

You don't see the ability to make moves? Really? Oooooookkkaaaay.

Julio Jones 4.39 40 time

TO 4.40 40 time

JJ is a little faster and to those who think to wasn't fast as sh## comming out of college is crazy. JJ and To is the best comparison ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVl1_8G1ksM

Just saying, Owens never came close to sniffing JJ's YPC his rookie year. Took him a few years just to get his yardage. Both big, fast guys, but I think that is the end of it. JJ many honestly have the higher ceiling, at least based on the measurables as of this point.

Just saying, Owens never came close to sniffing JJ's YPC his rookie year. Took him a few years just to get his yardage. Both big, fast guys, but I think that is the end of it. JJ many honestly have the higher ceiling, at least based on the measurables as of this point.

And Matt Ryan rookie year was 10 times better then Steve Young.... So why does that matter.

Owens was one of the most consistently productive WRs ever. If JJ can be like him minus the drama, then that's about as good as you can hope for. Maybe he can be even better and be a hybrid of TO and Andre, but if he's TO...great.

I think TO averaged something like 1200 yards and 12 TDs for nearly a decade.

all players are getting bigger faster and stronger. A big receiver 20 years ago was 6'3 215 for example michael irvin. Now a days most receivers are 6'1 to 6'3 and large receivers are 6'5 to 6'7 like georgia tech and lions superstar calvin johnson. Julio, may compare to TO physically not mentally however there's no diva in this manimal. I'd compare him more to a modern-day jerry rice with beast mode turned on. Jerry, at 5'10 was average height with above average work ethic, talent, and no diva to be seen. However jerry was cocky like julio who said himself "ive already been good I want to be great. I can't ever see julio calling matt ryan a fa66ot or dogging his qb in the public forum. I don't see him allowing his agent holding a press conference to ***** about nothing whole he's bench pressing in the drive-way. None of that, what I do see is a android jerry rice taking slants to the house while truck sticking linebackers and safeties while running away from corners with no diva.