Position Rankings. Dt Edition.

Resse

DT was that hard I know who is Last. One team would be higher if a player could prove he could stay healthy.

1. Saints (Ellis, Bunkley) Bunkley was such a good pick up. Put him beside Ellis and you are solid up front.

2. Falcons (Babs, Peter, Walker) Let's just admit Jerry is a bust and the Falcons got lucky that Peters became a player. Babs need to come back to form at 1 time he was the best DT in this division.

3. Bucs (Mccoy, Price, OKoye) Mccoy has so much potential but will we ever see it? Dude can't stay healthy. I hope Price can get past the tragedy in his family. Okoye should be a good rotation guy.

4. Panthers (Edwards, Fua, Mcclain and Krease) I have no clue what this uint will do. Edwards at best is a 2 down run stuffer and the young guys got beat up all last year. Maybe a full offseason and the exp. of playing last year will get these guys going. Atleast I hope so.

Anyone assuming that two third round DTs, who happened to be thrown to wolves last season with no veteran presence around them for guidance and a shortened off-season, will not improve in their second seasons shows how ignorant they are to the game.

Carolina gets a proven DT back in Edwards, and their two third round selections get a year of NFL weight training and an off-season of work and OTAs. For your sake you better hope they are not vastly improved because if they are, CJ and Hardy will have field days in the pass rushing department against divisional opponents. I can't wait to see Baker get embarrassed by CJ this year and Ryan on his back gasping for air. Furthermore, improved DT play just makes the best linebacking corps in the division that much better and that much more lethal.

Edited by LightsCameronAction

Ha you're a joke whom likely struggled to obtain his GED. You're playing with fire. Considering how much of a disappointment our DTs were last year and how they ranked near the bottom in every category, they shouldn't exactly have to do much to be much improved yet continue to progress and work hard. Both showed flashes at times last season and one has to expect with Edwards' presence that they will continue to excel on the gridiron.

"Elite poster" with a 29 posts.

Ha you're a joke whom likely struggled to obtain his GED. You're playing with fire. Considering how much of a disappointment our DTs were last year and how they ranked near the bottom in every category, they shouldn't exactly have to do much to be much improved yet continue to progress and work hard. Both showed flashes at times last season and one has to expect with Edwards' presence that they will continue to excel on the gridiron.

"Elite poster" with a 29 posts.

In fairness to the Beacon, even though I jacked with him and told him I'd never answer another post of his, he's been around here for a long time, but the Mods sometimes off you when things get heated and you have to reinvent yourself. He has way more posts than what shows.

Absolutely correct.

Just because my post count is spread across 17 odd now-banned accounts doesn't make the total any lesser.

That's an indictment of the KGB-style moderation,

Not my status as an "Elite Poster."

sounds like someone needs to work on decorum, doesn't it?

False. They will be much improved.

A fat old dude coming off of a torn tricep isn't going to make that much of a difference, and even if the rookies play much better than last year, which is probably too much improvement to count on, they are still going to be bad.

Bunkley won't really make Ellis better. He'll cover up for Ellis getting washed away in the run but likewise Bunkley has no pass rushing presence at all and the C will be free to double team Ellis again.

You got that backwards bro.

"Bunkley was one of the best run-stuffers in the league last year (top 5 by PFF's standards, which I trust on this), and Broncos fans are very disappointed to see him go. Granted, if you have to trade Bunkley for Manning you do it, but even so, you guys have an absolute gem in this guy. He won't get you sacks, he's solely a nose tackle and couldn't play under tackle for a bet, but you won't worry about the run through his gap and he'll push the pile and collapse the pocket, which lets your pass rushers do their thing more effectively. You're also going to love his effort - many big guys wear down at the end of games. He usually stepped it up. Enjoy, I'm still going to be watching out for him. Some guys just can't help but rooting for him. By the way, he did 44 reps on the 225 bench press and still moves well. Says it all."

You got that backwards bro.

Except he doesn't push the pocket, he's a one-dimensional player who has recorded 0 sacks in the last two seasons and doesn't create pressure, why do you think the Eagles pulled him on passing downs when he was there. The only real reason he played passing downs in Denver is because Denver's DT depth was awful they had a 7th round pick starting across from him and their main backup was on IR for the 2nd straight season.

Nobody is going to double him, they're going to continue to double Ellis and Ellis will continue to do nothing.

Except he doesn't push the pocket, he's a one-dimensional player who has recorded 0 sacks in the last two seasons and doesn't create pressure, why do you think the Eagles pulled him on passing downs when he was there. The only real reason he played passing downs in Denver is because Denver's DT depth was awful they had a 7th round pick starting across from him and their main backup was on IR for the 2nd straight season.

Nobody is going to double him, they're going to continue to double Ellis and Ellis will continue to do nothing.

He was poo in Philly. Didnt come into his own until Denver. He held his own on Double teams and Collapse the pocket enough to let His two DE's record Double Digit sacks each. They praised him all year long. If your gonna double Ellis, Bunkley will create enough havoc for our poor pass rush to look decent. He is not a stats guy but makes others around him better. Spags will do wonders with him. Saints guard Jahri Evans is already saying how good Bunkley looks.

A fat old dude coming off of a torn tricep isn't going to make that much of a difference, and even if the rookies play much better than last year, which is probably too much improvement to count on, they are still going to be bad.

Yes because third rounders never succeed on the Carolina Panthers defense:

Charles Johnson

James Anderson

Charles Godfrey

Dan Connor

Hurney has been good at finding talent in the third round on the defensive side of the ball. There are not many young DTs save for Suh that can come in and immediately have a positive impact on a defense in this league. Typically, they take a couple years to develop so they will likely have more success this season and even more the next. McClain was the first selection of the third round and showed flashes quite a few times last season. Also, Edwards may never come back to form but his presence on the practice field as a veteran can work wonders for young guys when learning technique.

He was poo in Philly. Didnt come into his own until Denver. He held his own on Double teams and Collapse the pocket enough to let His two DE's record Double Digit sacks each. They praised him all year long. If your gonna double Ellis, Bunkley will create enough havoc for our poor pass rush to look decent. He is not a stats guy but makes others around him better. Spags will do wonders with him. Saints guard Jahri Evans is already saying how good Bunkley looks.

Trust me he wasn't creating for Miller and Dumervil. Miller was a pass rushing beast and everyone knew he was going to tear it up in the pros and Dumervil had recorded 18 sacks long before Bunkley was there. Yes he fought double teams, but no he did not push the pocket what you're probably seeing is the QB stepping up to avoid Dumervil or Miller and it looking like Bunkley is collapsing the pocket. **** the fact that the guy got marginal pressures and no sacks playing with two great pass rushers who would force QBs up into the pocket should tell you all you need to know about him as a pass rusher.

I could care less what Jahri Evans says because it's here-say it's like how I kept hearing out of Jets every offseason, "Shonn Greene looks real good, we think he's going to take the next step." Yet every year Shonn Greene continues to be a mediocre back.

Let them puts some pads on before you start crowning people. I mean for the love of Pete I've had my fill of hearing just how awesome that scrub Jerome Simpson is going to be for the Ravens because "He looks great in OTAs." Saying a receiver looks great in OTAs is like saying a boxer looks great fighting a dummy.

Yes because third rounders never succeed on the Carolina Panthers defense:

Charles Johnson

James Anderson

Charles Godfrey

Dan Connor

Hurney has been good at finding talent in the third round on the defensive side of the ball. There are not many young DTs save for Suh that can come in and immediately have a positive impact on a defense in this league. Typically, they take a couple years to develop so they will likely have more success this season and even more the next. McClain was the first selection of the third round and showed flashes quite a few times last season. Also, Edwards may never come back to form but his presence on the practice field as a veteran can work wonders for young guys when learning technique.

If being picked in the third round was all it took, Corvey Irvin would be starting. Where you are picked ceases to matter the second you step on the field and show what you can do. And those two have showed only that they can be the worst starters in the league. Excuse me if I'm not encouraged.

So tell me, did you really expect more from two third rounders who were thrown to the wolves with a shortened off-season, no OTAs and a new coaching staff in a position that typically takes years to develop? Corey Irvin was the one defensive pick in the third round that never really panned out in the recent years for Hurney. The rest have at least contributed and start to this day. In any other situation they would have been rotational players at best and likely only saw minimal snaps a game while they learned behind vets. Instead, they were given as many reps as possible to get them the experience they needed to help turn it around this season and now with an actual off-season and familiarity with the defense they should benefit and excel.

Edited by LightsCameronAction

So tell me, did you really expect more from two third rounders who were thrown to the wolves with a shortened off-season, no OTAs and a new coaching staff in a position that typically takes years to develop? Corey Irvin was the one defensive pick in the third round that never really panned out in the recent years for Hurney. The rest have at least contributed and start to this day. In any other situation they would have been rotational players at best and likely only saw minimal snaps a game while they learned behind vets. Instead, they were given as many reps as possible to get them the experience they needed to help turn it around this season and now with an actual off-season and familiarity with the defense they should benefit and excel.

yes....we should just assume our draft picks that did very little next year will all of a sudden become elite

or, maybe no we shouldn't because that would just be stupid

They got beat repeatedly one on one, which leads me to believe that familiarity with the defense can only really do so much for them. They just weren't good. They didn't make plays in the backfield and they were the worst run-stopping unit in the league. And now they're going to excel?

Considering they were rookies at a position that historically takes time to transition from the college to pro game and had a shortened off-season in a scheme they had never played before... yes. To think they won't be better than last season after an off-season of NFL conditioning and strength training coupled with an actual off-season to work with their coaching staff and fellow teammates is just silly. And Dago... when did I say a thing about being elite? I simply said they would be improved.

Considering they were rookies at a position that historically takes time to transition from the college to pro game and had a shortened off-season in a scheme they had never played before... yes. To think they won't be better than last season after an off-season of NFL conditioning and strength training coupled with an actual off-season to work with their coaching staff and fellow teammates is just silly. And Dago... when did I say a thing about being elite? I simply said they would be improved.

They will improve, yes. But improvement from awful to merely very bad won't help very much.

Also, you said they would excel. That's much closer to elite than simply improved.

your entire argument is based on experience.

if that is all that is needed, then a rookie should do better as the season progresses, correct?

Carolina gave up 130.8 yards rushing per game on average last year. in the second half of the year, they gave up 157 yards per game to teams with a winning record and only held one team with a winning record (Atlanta) below their season average

They will improve, yes. But improvement from awful to merely very bad won't help very much.

If that's the case, why did Carolina not address the DT position via FA or the draft? Rivera has said numerous times in interviews that he is happy with our DT corps going into this season. I suppose you know more than the Head Coach and his staff though, correct?