First Topic Post...and Yet...another Mr Thread. Smh.

First off I will say I WANT to be a Ryan fan. His rookie season was a blast to watch. Not only because of his success, but after the excruciating 2007, the teams success.

I love the falcons, but I am slowly(quickly) doubting the man under center.

Did he take his successful rookie season, where he had enormous praise, and let it effect his game now? I just have the impression that after his early success, he tries so hard to be perfect, maybe that has effected his mental aspects of the game. He spoke of working on his check down game during the last offseason, and that became a major deficiency in his game. He checked down when there was a safe option down the field. Does he just need to relax and play the game? Is that the problem with his qb play?

Idk, maybe the alcohol in my system is making me ramble, has anyone thought about this?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fibonacci

so let me get this straight...you like ryan but lately you do not???

the kidd did amazing last season compared to his others.

example 1: 2012 he threw 10 less completitions vs 2010 season, yet threw for 500 more yeards.

example 2: his TD's go up every year.

example 3: last year we threw for over 4,000 yards and had a RB who rushed for over a thousand......the only other team who did this last year was the chargers. (good managing skills)

just confused that you liked him to start with and now that he is better, you no longer like him.

so let me get this straight...you like ryan but lately you do not???

the kidd did amazing last season compared to his others.

example 1: 2012 he threw 10 less completitions vs 2010 season, yet threw for 500 more yeards.

example 2: his TD's go up every year.

example 3: last year we threw for over 4,000 yards and had a RB who rushed for over a thousand......the only other team who did this last year was the chargers. (good managing skills)

just confused that you liked him to start with and now that he is better, you no longer like him.

I'm not saying lately I dislike Ryan, I'm not gonna dislike the kid unless he suddenly transforms into Harrington. I'm just saying his rookie year made me think te sky was the limit for him. Stats mean nothing to me. His rookie year he always looked confident and ready to make the tough throw. I just never see that anymore. He has better stats, but the eye test rarely impresses. Has he been overcoached, does he want to live up to the hype and is terrified to make a mistake? I know the numbers are better, but I just don't see the confidence anymore. His arm strength isnt the problem. From what I see his confidence in his arm or maybe his decisions is. Food for thought?

I'm not saying lately I dislike Ryan, I'm not gonna dislike the kid unless he suddenly transforms into Harrington. I'm just saying his rookie year made me think te sky was the limit for him. Stats mean nothing to me. His rookie year he always looked confident and ready to make the tough throw. I just never see that anymore. He has better stats, but the eye test rarely impresses. Has he been overcoached, does he want to live up to the hype and is terrified to make a mistake? I know the numbers are better, but I just don't see the confidence anymore. His arm strength isnt the problem. From what I see his confidence in his arm or maybe his decisions is. Food for thought?

I think the problem was Mike Smith's lack of trust in his defense to bail the offense out if they made a mistake. Him and Mularkey coached it and drilled it into Ryan time and time again to not make mistakes and as a result he has taken fewer chances these last 3 years and often times that means checking it down. The numbers point this out that Ryan has taken fewer chances by throwing less passes deep. Here is a breakdown of Ryan's pass attempts by yards in the air and the percentage of total attempts.

Pass Thrown Behind LOS = 59 (13.6%)

Pass Thrown 1-10 = 220 (50.7%)

Pass Thrown 11-20 = 100 (23.0%)

Pass Thrown 21-30 = 32 (7.4%)

Pass Thrown 31-40 = 18 (4.1%)

Pass Thrown 41+ = 5 (1.2%)

Total Thrown 21+ = 55 (12.7%)

Pass Thrown Behind LOS = 43 (9.6%)

Pass Thrown 1-10 = 262 (58.2%)

Pass Thrown 11-20 = 110 (24.4%)

Pass Thrown 21-30 = 24 (5.3%)

Pass Thrown 31-40 = 7 (1.6%)

Pass Thrown 41+ = 4 (0.9%)

Pass Thrown 21+ = 35 (7.8%)

Pass Thrown Behind LOS = 66 (11.7%)

Pass Thrown 1-10 = 309 (54.9%)

Pass Thrown 11-20 = 150 (26.6%)

Pass Thrown 21-30 = 27(4.8%)

Pass Thrown 31-40 = 4 (0.7%)

Pass Thrown 41+ = 7 (1.2%)

Pass Thrown 21+ = 38 (6.7%)

Pass Thrown Behind LOS = 56 (10.1%)

Pass Thrown 1-10 = 302 (54.3%)

Pass Thrown 11-20 = 151 (27.2%)

Pass Thrown 21-30 = 23 (4.1%)

Pass Thrown 31-40 = 17 (3.1%)

Pass Thrown 41+ = 7 (1.3%)

Pass Thrown 21+ = 47 (8.5%)

So let's focus on the passes thrown 21+ yards down the field and the amount of attempts that Ryan had.

2008 = 55 (12.7%)

2009 = 35 (7.8%)

2010 = 38 (6.7%)

2011 = 47 (8.5%)

I always wondered if my eyes were telling me the truth when it came to my assessment that Ryan threw fewer passes down the field and took fewer chances. But the numbers prove that my eyes were telling the truth. The question becomes now how much of that is on Ryan not taking chances down the field and how much is that on the play calling?

Oh geez, smitty is a defense coach, never say he doesn't have trust in his defense, even with the change in coordinatos(Nolan, thank you for that!). I can see him being...uncomfortable with the D scheme. Is that going to dictate the play of his QB? Maybe it did. Bit that shows a lack of confidence. The playoffs is where we haven't gotten a win. The main ingredient in the playoffs is Confidence in one aspect of the game. Our strong suit is the offense. I just think mike smith, as good as he is, has crippled the offenses. I want to trust matt Ryan, but does anyone think the success of this season is on the defenses shoulders? I want to see out offense succeed, but does anyone trust it?

I trust the offense.

I have confidence in Dimitroff and the awsomeness in talent he has amassed. I have confidence in Smitty and Mike Nolan. The defense is going to be stellar this year. Koetter is an unknown but he seems to have the right idea and I do have confidence in our offensive personnel. I firmly believe we will get the no playoff wins monkey off our back this time.

The question becomes now how much of that is on Ryan not taking chances down the field and how much is that on the play calling?

I think it is more about taking higher % shots than it is making mistakes. 5yds is better than none on an incompletion. An INT does suck the most though. Funny thing is we did take shots deep but they seems like called plays that were launched no matter what the coverage was(tight or beaten). Many times the coverage was tight which seemed to lead to Ryan throwing it to where nobody could get it.

Edited by Bier-fann

I really don't understand how people say that they want to be a fan or aren't a fan of Matt Ryan. I myself have my doubts about Ryan as many on here my already know, but as long as he is a Falcon I am a Fan. At times I am excited by his play and others I would like to put my hands around his neck for about 5 minutes, but still a fan.

I really don't understand how people say that they want to be a fan or aren't a fan of Matt Ryan. I myself have my doubts about Ryan as many on here my already know, but as long as he is a Falcon I am a Fan. At times I am excited by his play and others I would like to put my hands around his neck for about 5 minutes, but still a fan.

You can be a fan of the team while not being a fan of individual players or coaches on said team...you just have to hope for the best on gameday.

A lot of people here have no problems talking bad about Baker, Edwards, and MM but that doesn't make you less of a fan. Now if you pray for an injury like some have to Baker so he can't play, or hope MM does something stupid that could cost us a game so he can get fired that's a different story.

There is a lot of player worshipping here when it should be all about the team.

I ask myself if we would be where we are without him. The answer is no. Of course all of our players had a hand in our success but Matt was the single most important move we have made. Our players confidence in him brought everyone together. I promise when he threw his first pass and it went for a touchdown that was the spark the team needed.

So let's focus on the passes thrown 21+ yards down the field and the amount of attempts that Ryan had.

2008 = 55 (12.7%)

2009 = 35 (7.8%)

2010 = 38 (6.7%)

2011 = 47 (8.5%)

I attribute the drop in passes downfield to three things.

1. The arrival of Anthony Gonzalez

2. The film study of Brees, Brady and other check down artists

3. The suckage of the pass protection

Not to MM and MS handcuffing Ryan.

Guest Negatorris

I still have NEVER seen a valid reason as to why Ryan is blamed for the Falcon's failures 90% of the time of this board.

that-****-cray1.jpg?w=580

Edited by Undefendable

Exactly PA. As you know I am coming to grips with some of those realities. You know, just taking in some of the different view points around here. I'm actually adjusting to this healing process. Basically just realizing what's really important in life. I'm just not that hung up on Super Bowls and post season wins anymore. I look at it differently now... It's "more quality time with the kids". I'm loving it!

Anyway, I won't rehash "The Hatchling Song" here. There's a separate thread for that. I did take in a movie last night though...

Dr. Strangelove or: How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.

And there it was... There was my story.

You see... I, too, have stopped worrying.

I have learned to love not only the short pass, but short seasons.

Well... Anywho... Here's to early vacations!

I do not hate Matt Ryan.

I do not hate Matt Ryan.

I do not hate Matt Ryan.

I do not hate Matt Ryan.

I do not hate Matt Ryan.

He's my quarterback.

Oh my gosh.....

Why is it so hard for someone to appreciate him in the present and realize what we have.

Only 4 teams have elite QB's: Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, and Denver if you want to say that #18 is still elite.

Look at teams like the Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Raiders, Jaguars, Titans, Redskins before RGIII, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Vikings.

All of those teams have had recent struggles at the quarterback position. Does the name Joey Harrington not ring a bell? Would you rather us go back to him or Byron Sandwich I mean Leftwich? There's always going to be teams who have a lack of QB production and the Falcons aren't one of them.

Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton yes I said Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Matt Cassel, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Those are some other QB's that I'd for sure take Matt Ryan over.

Go Falcons!

Oh my gosh.....

Why is it so hard for someone to appreciate him in the present and realize what we have.

Only 4 teams have elite QB's: Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, and Denver if you want to say that #18 is still elite.

Look at teams like the Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Raiders, Jaguars, Titans, Redskins before RGIII, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Vikings.

All of those teams have had recent struggles at the quarterback position. Does the name Joey Harrington not ring a bell? Would you rather us go back to him or Byron Sandwich I mean Leftwich? There's always going to be teams who have a lack of QB production and the Falcons aren't one of them.

Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton yes I said Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Matt Cassel, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Those are some other QB's that I'd for sure take Matt Ryan over.

Go Falcons!

Well that's your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that...however if you step outside of this message board you would see what the majority of fans around the league would think about that list of players you said you would take Ryan over.

Some, like myself, think that this team has the offense to compete for a championship but we greatly underperform against good/great teams. There is no excuse for us not to have a top 3 O with the talent at the skill positions no matter how much you want to use the OC and the line as a scapegoat.

This is the year of no excuses with new coordinators and adjustments at on the line. If we don't we don't step it up then there are going to be some drastic changes and Smith is going to be the one to fall on the sword for Ryan this time, and then TD will be on the hotseat.

I ask myself if we would be where we are without him. The answer is no. Of course all of our players had a hand in our success but Matt was the single most important move we have made. Our players confidence in him brought everyone together. I promise when he threw his first pass and it went for a touchdown that was the spark the team needed.

You can make an argument for Turner being the most important piece we brought in. He is what this offense was built around the past couple of years.

You can make an argument for Turner being the most important piece we brought in. He is what this offense was built around the past couple of years.

Absolutely he is important and it would be a valid argument, but like Steven Jackson, you need a strong quarterback to make the type of noise we have the past few years.

Ryan's biggest problem is the same problem we had by another dark skinned fellow we had behind center and i'm not talking about murdering dogs and smoking blunts. It is his consistancy, against the Eagles Ryan looked like John Elway, took a beating and delivered throughout the game and i think pulled another game winning drive, with that being said Ryan is still one of the most consistant quarterbacks we have ever had. I personally think Ryan plays his playoff games scared because of how much pressure us on him to win a playoff game but i can not dislike the only quarterback that has ever lead this team to 4 straight winning season when not another single quarterback ever got us back to back winning seasons, before ryan u knew if we made the playoffs the next year we were gonna be 6-10

Absolutely he is important and it would be a valid argument, but like Steven Jackson, you need a strong quarterback to make the type of noise we have the past few years.

Or an all around good team like we have had. I don't like TD's drafts but he has been money when it comes to FA signings and trades.

When it comes to STL they are a crap team all around so I don't know about that comparison. I feel sorry for Jackson and Bradford. All that talent will be wasted playing on that team.

Well that's your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that...however if you step outside of this message board you would see what the majority of fans around the league would think about that list of players you said you would take Ryan over.

Some, like myself, think that this team has the offense to compete for a championship but we greatly underperform against good/great teams. There is no excuse for us not to have a top 3 O with the talent at the skill positions no matter how much you want to use the OC and the line as a scapegoat.

This is the year of no excuses with new coordinators and adjustments at on the line. If we don't we don't step it up then there are going to be some drastic changes and Smith is going to be the one to fall on the sword for Ryan this time, and then TD will be on the hotseat.

I do find it amusing how there is a tendency to be so dismissive of the likes of Joey Harrington when he never had the chance to play with a Pro Bowl: RB, FB, TE, #1WR and Pro Bowl caliber #2 WR.

I admit it frustrated me in the past. As many of you know now, I see it differently. IT'S NOT ABOUT SUPER BOWLS AND POST SEASON WINS! It's about comforting the slender shoulders of our delicate flower. And I don't say that in a mean way. I say it to lend a sense of perspective. This is what we are doing.

Heaven Can Wait.

First off I will say I WANT to be a Ryan fan. His rookie season was a blast to watch. Not only because of his success, but after the excruciating 2007, the teams success.

I love the falcons, but I am slowly(quickly) doubting the man under center.

Did he take his successful rookie season, where he had enormous praise, and let it effect his game now? I just have the impression that after his early success, he tries so hard to be perfect, maybe that has effected his mental aspects of the game. He spoke of working on his check down game during the last offseason, and that became a major deficiency in his game. He checked down when there was a safe option down the field. Does he just need to relax and play the game? Is that the problem with his qb play?

Idk, maybe the alcohol in my system is making me ramble, has anyone thought about this?

I am holding out on my questions about MR until he fails under a new system. I believe MM's ultra-conservative style and the poor O-line play from a season ago may have played with his psyche. When he was at BC and his first year in Atlanta, he was a gunslinger and took some risks. If he doesn't improve under Keotter, then I will be off of the MR bandwagon. Not that it will do any good because Matty Ice is likely our QB for years to come. IMO, Matt Ryan will have some where around 4000 yards for the season and we will finally get that elusive playoff win.

It seems some were thinking I was hating on MR and I'm not a fan of his, I absolutely am. It just frustrate me that he seems to play scared. He is capable, in my opinion, of taking the next step...and just hasn't.

I agree on that part about playing scared in the playoffs. He is capable of elevating his game, I believe that its a mental barrier that he has to learn to overcome.

You can be a fan of the team while not being a fan of individual players or coaches on said team...you just have to hope for the best on gameday.

A lot of people here have no problems talking bad about Baker, Edwards, and MM but that doesn't make you less of a fan. Now if you pray for an injury like some have to Baker so he can't play, or hope MM does something stupid that could cost us a game so he can get fired that's a different story.

There is a lot of player worshipping here when it should be all about the team.

Okay, I hear you Atl/0. It is one thing to cheer for a player and a whole different thing when you idolize a player as many do on here. Many won't claim that they idolize or put a certain player above the team, but I see it all the time on here. I know I catch more flack for criticizing Ryan than any other player. Although I bash Edwards, Dunta, Baker, Owens and anyone else that I deem worthy of bashing at that particular time. I guess you can call me a equal opportunity basher.