Bill Walsh Quote

Just heard it thought it was good. Walsh said a good Coach munipulates the play of his QB with his passing concepts and his play calling. Do you guys think MM did good at this? Do you guys think Kotter can? I didn't think MM did good job at this and I hope Kotter can.

Yes MM did manipulate the play of his Qb, but in a negative way.

When it comes to Koetter, The offensive players seem to like his vertical concept but when it comes to it bring the best out of Ryan and make him an elite Qb only time will tell. My opinion is that it will be a good fit for Ryan and the entire offense.

Just heard it thought it was good. Walsh said a good Coach munipulates the play of his QB with his passing concepts and his play calling. Do you guys think MM did good at this? Do you guys think Kotter can? I didn't think MM did good job at this and I hope Kotter can.

wowwwwww

who was the coach mularkey or smith

who do you think walsh would have been referring to

Thats always been a question to me. Did MM handicap Ryan by not letting him throw deep? But lets be honest, Ryan missed a pretty good bit of deep balls when he actually threw them. Is that because they didn't work on them in practice eough? Is it because MM knew our O line didn't give Ryan adequate time? With upgrading our O Line and Coordinator there are NO excuses this year though. We can all agree on that.

Thats always been a question to me. Did MM handicap Ryan by not letting him throw deep? But lets be honest, Ryan missed a pretty good bit of deep balls when he actually threw them. Is that because they didn't work on them in practice eough? Is it because MM knew our O line didn't give Ryan adequate time? With upgrading our O Line and Coordinator there are NO excuses this year though. We can all agree on that.

Exactly. Did MM limit the nbr of deep throws due to a combination of his lack of confidence in the OL to provide adequate pass protection for a MR and MR's inability to consistently make accurate deep throws?. With the anticipated upgrade in the OL, that would eliminate one half of the crutch and hopefully Matt can step up his game with regards to deep throws eliminating the.other.

MM, when the smoke clears, wasn't the sole reason many believe, why this offense looked lackluster against quality/playoff opponents.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

Guest Gritz

Bottom line is we will know the answer to these questions soon enough:

Was Mularkey holding the progression of Ryan back with his conservative play calling or was Ryan stifling the possibilities of Mularkey's full playbook due to his (Ryan's) limitations?

Stay tuned.

First, regarding Bill Walsh, along with Tom Landry I personally find their offensive ingenuity and subsequent impact upon the game to be the greatest ever.

As for the topic, I think the answer is a little of both:

1. Due to the unexpected early success, particularly by Matt Ryan, I think we somewhat got sidetracked and in the second season begin getting even more predictable and conservative with our offense to protect (keep off the field) our defense. We moved from ball control with passing heroics in 2008 to more ball control with fewer risks and heroics in 2009. I think this even continued in 2010 and finally caught out to us last season. The fault here clearly lies in Mike Smith and Mike Mularkey letting our defensive liabilities and rebuilding define too much the identity of our offense. This also clearly had an undesirable impact on Matt Ryan.
  2. As for Ryan, I also saw the hesitancy, indecisiveness, lack of boldness, and downright anxiety in the pocket, especially in the Giants game. Now while I happen to know that much of this was simply human nature from a lack of confidence in his protection and OL push, he still has to at some point take some risks. This we need to see this season as low risk passing was programmed into his mind by Mularkey and he'll need some reprogramming by his new coach coupled with his own self will and self confidence. Where I differ from some on here is I believe him to be fully capable and desirous of doing such thus I will remain confident entering this season until there's reason to feel otherwise.

The bonus for me in all this is Blank...I think he's anticipating a team whose coaches will instill a greater sense of urgency and "attitude." Certainly bringing in Nolan and Samuel--coupled with Spoon--will offer attitude in abundance for our defense. I'd like to see Matt Ryan start throwing the ball with some attitude on offense...I think he will.

Thanks for saving me the time.

throwing deep only has a tiny part to do with it...yes matt ryan needs to get better on the deep ball..but i think the more important thing is are we using the run to open up the pass, are we using the pass to open up the run...or are you doing a little bit of both...mularkey obviously had no idea how to use the pass to open up the run game, we'll see if koetter can.

also its about the creativity of the play calls and how the plays build off of each other. just like u can use the run to open up the pass or the play action you can also use a passing play to set up the next passing play...hopefully this year we will start getting a little more creative with the play calling instead of just quick slants, out routes, and curls mixed in with the occasional run as fast as you can and i'll throw it to you

Edited by abcranford2

First off, we need to understand what Walsh was saying.

Answers are No and yes.

Back to walsh.

The game is always based on High / Low percentage plays.

The "manipulation is knowing exactly when to call a low percentage play.

Typically the defense is caught sleeping.

This is what Mularkey was horrible with.

Exactly. Did MM limit the nbr of deep throws due to a combination of his lack of confidence in the OL to provide adequate pass protection for a MR and MR's inability to consistently make accurate deep throws?. With the anticipated upgrade in the OL, that would eliminate one half of the crutch and hopefully Matt can step up his game with regards to deep throws eliminating the.other.

MM, when the smoke clears, wasn't the sole reason many believe, why this offense looked lackluster against quality/playoff opponents.

+1

The question is, have we really upgraded our oline? I keep hearing we have. In theory yes, but in actuality? That remains to be seen.

I feel the same way

The only thing you can say we have done so far is that we "addressed" the OLine this offseason. We won't actually know if it improved or not until after the season.

With all that said there shouldn't be any excuses this year.