Walls Over Owens

Ethos

Don't know if we're gonna roll with six corners or not but if we're going with five these are the names i'd want to see on the final roster.

DB:

Brent Grimes

Asante Samuel

Dunta Robinson

Dominique Franks

Darrin Walls

Yeah if we go with 5 that's who I would want also. I believe we will keep 6 though. Most teams due in case of injuries.

Yeah if we go with 5 that's who I would want also. I believe we will keep 6 though. Most teams due in case of injuries.

With the supposed huge emphasis Nolan places on DB's that might be the case. However, if Nolan's reputation precedes him then he's not going to retain a player just because of where he was drafted. If Owens doesn't improve I wouldn't suprised if he was cut. I would like to see Walls and Franks learn from two Pro-Bowl corners in Grimes and Samuel ( didn't mention Dunta for a reason) and then maybe later down the road we can plug one of them in as a starter.

Guest Gritz

Owens didn't play bad last year. And he's about the only person on special teams capable of stopping the big play.

He's clearly stopped 2 easy TDs on returns when no other Falcon was in the same zip code as the returner.

That's pretty valuable.

Good call Heezy.

Just like a woman that can't take a hint she's no longer required...unless its special times(12am+) or special teams.

laugh.png , I believe that we keep six. If we had to cut one, I think Crisp Owens would get it. I think Walls has a much better upside than Owens. Although I trashed Owens in the past, last year he actually did look alot better and had a few big touchdown saving plays.

He also had positive games against smaller quicker WR's on the outside when playing LCB in the 2011 season.

another reason why I'm waiting to see how he fares under Mike Nolan before declaring him an absolute bum.

laugh.png , I believe that we keep six. If we had to cut one, I think Crisp Owens would get it. I think Walls has a much better upside than Owens. Although I trashed Owens in the past, last year he actually did look alot better and had a few big touchdown saving plays.

Nobody jumped up higher when Owens made that pass defense against the Giants in the p/o then me.

I just see him as a 3rd rnd SPT...he can replace Weems on coverage. That keeps him on the team.

Franks is supposed to have great potential but I don't understand why Franks gets so much love. At this point I would take Owens over Franks. Last year Franks was horrible, he stunk up in the playoffs big time giving up 3 key thrid down conversions and 2 TD with 105 yards in 5 attempts. Owens was the best DB in the playoff game forcing a punt and a field goal with two 3rd down stops. I was not too happy with owens last year because of the horrible performance against Gb in the 2010 playoffs . But he showed lot of improvement and made couple of great ST plays. I wouldn't be surprised if Franks gets most snaps with second tier team and Owens gets to play with first team in OTA or training camps.

Edited by falcons007

My mind was blown when he ran down Percy Harvin. Since we would have Asante,Grimes,Dunta and Franks above him on the depth chart I would ok with having him over Walls because of his ST play and more importantly, if he is that far on the depth chart he will most likely not see the field very often.

Don't know if we're gonna roll with six corners or not but if we're going with five these are the names i'd want to see on the final roster.

DB:

Brent Grimes

Asante Samuel

Dunta Robinson

Dominique Franks

Darrin Walls

For a second there i thought you may have bypassed franks altogether, but yea i agree with your assessment.

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Owens did well last year on the outside but if I EVER see him at nickle again I will probably throw something at my tv.

I think Nolan can maximize his strengths. Unlike the old one, who did things like have Owens at nickel and drop DEs into pass coverage.