Position Battles Prediction Thread

1989Fan

Lets hear who we all think wins the major (starter) battles of preseason.

Feel free to add if I forget any of them.

OC - McClure (Konz, Hawley, McClure) - Many have tried, none have unseated him

RG - Konz (Manuwai, Konz, Johnson, Reynolds) - If Konz loses this battle, will be at OC

LT - Baker (Baker, Svitek, Holmes) - Svitek isnt as good as a healthy Baker...if that ever happens. Holmes could come in if Baker goes down.

FB - Ewing (Ewing, Cox) - Cox is reliable but nothing special. If Ewing doesnt show the part, expect an Ovie sighting

LE - Edwards (Edwards, Sidbury, Beirmann) - RE will get than chance to prove his worth

MLB - Dent (Totupu, Dent) - I am just not sold on Lofa. Has been injued and hasnt performed well when healthy since about 2008

KR - A. Smith (Smith, Franks, Douglas, UDFA's) - Smitth provide KR, ST and #4RB depth. Small shifty WRs (Rodgers, Pearcy) wont be as impactful on ST

PR - Douglas (Franks, Douglas, UDFA's) - Douglas wants the job, and is best suited there

RG-Manuawi or Johnson

C- Konz

MLB-Dent

LT- Svitek

LE-Spinbury

I honestly dont think we did enough to sure up the line. New line coach 2 rookies and a servicable veteran in Manauwai. I hope im wrong but I see more of the same from last yr with a slight improvement.

part of me thinks we didnt go gangbusters at the RG spot because they still think they have a baller in Mike Johnson if he gets healthy.

With a handful of real good OG's in UFA, there had to be something to it. Manuwai has to be a inurance policy over Mike Johnson (since we didnt have Konz then)

4-2-5 with 4-3 principles

DE-Abraham, Biermann, Massaquoi

DT-Peters, Walker, Robertson

DT-Babinaux, (Jerry or Regis)

DE-Edwards, Sidbury, Massaquoi

LB-Tatupu, Dent, Schiller

LB-Weatherspoon, Nicholas, Harris

RCB-Grimes, Owens

FS-DeCoud, Shillinger

SS-Moore, Mitchell

NB-Robinson, Franks

LCB-Samuel, Walls

4--2-5 with 3-4 principles

OLB-Biermann, Sidbury

DT-Peters, Robertson

DT-Walker, (Jerry or Regis)

OLB-Massaquoi, Sidbury

MLB-Tatupu, Dent, Schiller

MLB-Weatherspoon, Nicholas, Harris

4-3-4 (Minus NB on obvious run downs)

DE-Abraham, Biermann, Massaquoi

DT-Peters, Walker, Robertson

DT-Babinaux, (Jerry or Regis)

DE-Edwards, Sidbury, Massaquoi

WLB-Weatherspoon, Harris

MLB-Tatupu, Dent

SLB-Nicholas. Schiller

3-4-4 (Short yardage)

OLB-Biermann, Massaquoi

DE-Peters, (Jerry or Regis)

NT-Walker, Robertson

DE-Edwards, (Jerry or Regis)

OLB-Sidbury, Massaquoi

MLB-Tatupu, Dent, Schiller

MLB-Weatherspoon, Nicholas, Harris

RCB-Grimes, Walls, Owens

FS-DeCoud, Robinson, Shillinger

SS-Moore, Mitchell

LCB-Samuel, Franks

My position battles are Micanor Regis to challenge Peria Jerry to play UT/3-4 DE/4-3 NT, and maybe Cliff Matthews as a dark horse over a LB like Harris or Schiller.

Edited by Bier-fann

Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

The fact that we have "Position Battles" constituting 60% of the starting O-Line just proves the point I've been making for years now.

"TD" is out of his league, folks.

It's time to get someone competent.

And get this ship headed in the right direction.

The fact that we have "Position Battles" constituting 60% of the starting O-Line just proves the point I've been making for years now.

Competition in every position is always a good thing. I dont even care if the circumstances are bad , competition is a good thing.

Lets hear who we all think wins the major (starter) battles of preseason.

Feel free to add if I forget any of them.

OC - McClure (Konz, Hawley, McClure) - Many have tried, none have unseated him

RG - Konz (Manuwai, Konz, Johnson, Reynolds) - If Konz loses this battle, will be at OC

LT - Baker (Baker, Svitek, Holmes) - Svitek isnt as good as a healthy Baker...if that ever happens. Holmes could come in if Baker goes down.

FB - Ewing (Ewing, Cox) - Cox is reliable but nothing special. If Ewing doesnt show the part, expect an Ovie sighting

LE - Edwards (Edwards, Sidbury, Beirmann) - RE will get than chance to prove his worth

MLB - Dent (Totupu, Dent) - I am just not sold on Lofa. Has been injued and hasnt performed well when healthy since about 2008

KR - A. Smith (Smith, Franks, Douglas, UDFA's) - Smitth provide KR, ST and #4RB depth. Small shifty WRs (Rodgers, Pearcy) wont be as impactful on ST

PR - Douglas (Franks, Douglas, UDFA's) - Douglas wants the job, and is best suited there

HD as a punt returner sounds absolutly kick ***!

I would'nt say that at all its more of changing of the guard so to say Mclure has got old it looks like Baker still has a part to play and really RG is the only position that needed to be fixed and has been with the addition of Konz Manuwai and possibly Johnson.

As above competiton is a good thing resting on laurels is not while it has taken time for this line to get its sh*t together better late than never.

He gave up quite a few regular season sacks but none in his first five or six games against some stout DEs like Allen and Freeney.

Just seems odd, a month ago it seemed like everybody was down on Svitek. That was probably when a lot of people thought we would pick up a LT in FA(still could). I like Svitek and thought he did a good job.

Svitek didn't give up a sack in the regular season. He also played against some really good DEs and dominated.

not true at all.

In 10 games (472 pass block snaps) Svitek allowed 3 sacks, 8 hits. 20 pressures. or 1 combined pressure per 15 snaps and 1 combined hit per 43 snaps.

In 6 games (267 pass block snaps) Backer allowed 6 sacks, 7 hits. 17 pressures. or 1 combined pressure per 9 snaps and 1 combined hit per 20 snaps.

Considering every game Ryan would get hit 2-3 times from Baker's protection or just once per Svitek, it should feel like Svitek knew what he was doing.

Just seems odd, a month ago it seemed like everybody was down on Svitek. That was probably when a lot of people thought we would pick up a LT in FA(still could). I like Svitek and thought he did a good job.

he did, but he's also 30. people look towards the future.