Whats With All The Love For The Panthers?

J-Wall

I get everyone is on Cam's jock, yes he had a good rookie year but I doubt he ever has another season like that again. I look at their roster and it just isn't very good. Their LB corps is solid hit other than that their dline is mediocre at best and their secondary is one the the worst in the NFL. On offense they have a strong oline and an average running game - Cam Smith isn't getting any younger and I know he won't be a factor like he was last year. I see them going 6-10 or at the very best 7-9. The Panthers i dont see as an legitiment threat. The bucs is a different story.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just a phase that the media goes through when it comes to flashy players. If Newton fails to meet expectations next season they will do either of these two things:

1.Criticize him and saying things like "What has happen to Newton?" and "Is Newton really what we thought he was?".

2. Treat him like everything that he does wrong wasn't exactly because of him and blame it on other things like they do when Brees throws a bunch of ints.

That is just how it works.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

We already had a pretty good roster. Other than at QB and rb but that changed in 1 off season. Panthers didn't male any game changing moves.

We did not have a good roster at all. Our secondary was sad after Deangelo was traded, linebackers were weak before Curtis, d line was same as it is now... O line was weak, WR was weak too because we didn't quite know about Roddy yet. I would say Carolina's roster right now is better than when we drafted Matt because they have extremely good linebacking corps and offensive line.

We already had a pretty good roster. Other than at QB and rb but that changed in 1 off season. Panthers didn't male any game changing moves.

The Falcons Roster was gutted, QB went to prison,coached bailed out mid season. Bill Parcells reportedly agreed to be Falcons GM only to snub the offer next day. Before 2008 season start Falcons were either a 1-15 team or even may be 0-16 team with an OL which gave up 47 sacks in 2007. Except Abraham there wasn't much left in the defense and a big question mark on Roddy White who had only one 1000 yard receiving season before 2008.

Wasn't Pat Y at ESPN high on Freeman after 2010. Freeman was already anointed as second best in NFC after Brees. Not saying Cam will be bad or good this year, its harder to play consistently at the top level in NFL year after year for most QB.

Yes, Pat Y and almost everyone on Espn and NFL Network thought so as well. Sapp even stated that Freeman would be the 2011 season MVP( I bet he wish he had that statement back ). All of these high expectations for Cam does resemble the love that Freeman was getting before crapping the bed last season.

I don't know about most of you guys, but I don't think Cam is gonna just be one of those flash in the pan type QB's. Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Vince Young Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or any other QB passed for over 4,000 yards in their rookie seasons. Alot of you try and downplay what Cam did last year. But rival or not, the dude was impressive. Call it what you want, but this kid is gonna cause us problems for years to come. Maybe he will have a bad season next year, but he might actually improve.

I want him to fail just as much as the next Falcon fan, but can you imagine if he improves on his rookie numbers? Many say the watching NFL films and the league will start to figure him out. I laugh at this nonesense, how does that work for Brees, or Brady? He is not the same type of Quarterback as Michael Vick was when he played here. Cam is looking to throw and does it pretty well.

No 1 respects Matt Ryan like that ...**** he was not even voted to top 100 players by his peers

The same thing was done to Eli the previous year and look what happened. 1 season can change how people view a player.

The top 100 is also not all that much creditable as people are making it out to be.

The same thing was done to Eli the previous year and look what happened. 1 season can change how people view a player.

True, Eli through all the bashing stood tough and proved most of the naysayers wrong. Talent wise I think Eli is better than Ryan, however Ryan is a good talent and still has room to improve. As many here including Vel , believe Ryan was coached to not make mistakes. If true, I would like to see what he does turned loose and just throwing at will.

They did it with Vick, VY, Bradford heck even Freeman...

who really cares what the media thinks/ says because it will sell.

I care....i would like to see more coverage on the Falcons but the NFL Network only talks about whats hot. their like Faux News only speaking in the moment about what ever team is trending. this isn't coverage. there is no way NFL Total Access can't cover all 32 teams in a weeks time. they just don't and its frustrating as ****

Cam is unfortunately...for real IMHO. I had to deal with that infectious cocky grin while he beat LSU- now I have to deal with it for 10 plus seasons with him against the Falcons. Not cool.

I do think he's gonna slump some this year and largely be overshadowed by RGIII and Luck. For some reason- this makes me kinda happy.

Buried in the Cam's super stats are some of glaring weaknesses which probably cost Carolina at least 3 or 4 games and a playoff berth.

1. Cam Newton barely converted 30% of third downs when the game was with in a score and was worse in 4th qtr.

2. Contrary to popular belief Carolina Defense held the games pretty close till 4th Qtr, He had opportunity in 9 Games at the start of 4th qtr where Carolina was trailing by less than 4 and had lead as much as 7.

3. He just won 1 game out of 9 when the Panthers were with in 4 points trailing or leading.

Cam would go the route of Freeman if he can't get the 3rd downs converted. In Matt Ryan's rookie season he had 4 come from behind wins/game winning drives including the ones against Bears and Packers. Cam should prove he can win the games and can take Panthers to playoffs.

Edited by falcons007

Wins are not important at this stage of the process for the Panthers or Cam ..Of course they would like to build to wins and get to playoffs but he is still learning the position and he will still be growing as a QB ..Cam put a offense on his back . He was not like Matt Ryan who gradually got to 4k passing yards ..Panthers put the complete offense on Cam shoulder and let him make plays or make mistakes ..CAM WAS NOT BABIED into a offense like Matt Ryan was by having a solid rushing attack to lean on ..Yes the Panther have 2 solid rbs but they were not the offense.Offense was ran through Cam ..That is going to translate into something special down the road ..Cam is still going to take his lumps as a QB and make mistakes and the Panthers might not win this coming season but in following years when Cam has finally grasped his craft its going to be something special

When you have 1 of best QBs in league giving respect to Cam ...well there you have it

No 1 respects Matt Ryan like that ...**** he was not even voted to top 100 players by his peers

Umm wins are ALWAYS important in football. He can have 50 TD's/5K yards, but if he's not getting W's, what does it matter? He had a good rookie year, I'm not taking that away from him, but he's not a worldbeater yet. He's not Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham...yet. He's a kid who had a good rookie year. Let's let that potential equal wins, and then talk about his place as a "grat QB" in today's NFL.

Newton is going to have a fall from grace this year. Just my opinion.

For all those people saying that Ryan is overrated. All I know is that over his first four years, when compared to every other QB that has ever played the game, he has the second best winning percentage and the best home winning percentage... ever.... And compared to every current QB playing over their first four years he has the best TD/INT ratio and second in yards thrown.

I really don't think you can ever say Ryan is overrated. He might not have won a playoff game yet, but championships are determined by team play. Stats are determined by individuals.

He might not have won a playoff game yet, but championships are determined by team play. Stats are determined by individuals.

I just want to comment on this little part in your post

Championships are determined by team play as you stated but so are regular season wins as well. If that's the case then why bring up "best winning percentage" as an individual stat when it's about the team, not the player?

The reason Carolina is getting so much love is all because of Cam just like when Vick was here. The moment he get's injured or somehow is not on the team they will go back to being overlooked the same way we are right now since Vick left.

Edited by Atl/0

Guest Negatorris

I don't know about most of you guys, but I don't think Cam is gonna just be one of those flash in the pan type QB's. Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Vince Young Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or any other QB passed for over 4,000 yards in their rookie seasons. Alot of you try and downplay what Cam did last year. But rival or not, the dude was impressive. Call it what you want, but this kid is gonna cause us problems for years to come. Maybe he will have a bad season next year, but he might actually improve.

I want him to fail just as much as the next Falcon fan, but can you imagine if he improves on his rookie numbers? Many say the watching NFL films and the league will start to figure him out. I laugh at this nonesense, how does that work for Brees, or Brady? He is not the same type of Quarterback as Michael Vick was when he played here. Cam is looking to throw and does it pretty well.

I just think his INTs will go down by a little. His rushing TDs will definitely not be as high as they were last year. He will put up good numbers for fantasy owners, but the dude is not a leader, and the Panthers will do nothing.