That's It, I've Crossed To The Dark Side.

Ordered a 15 inch MacBook Pro last night. This will be my first apple computer. Pretty excited.

Omg... So did I...

So many friends telling me about the longevity of MacBooks. Next PC I make/get will be a Linux box... I'll have to dual boot with windows for gaming though.

I financed... I wouldn't have done that, but it is same as cash for 12 months. But I will pay that off well before the 12 months are over.

Ordered a 15 inch MacBook Pro last night. This will be my first apple computer. Pretty excited.

My fiance broke down and got one too. She's started to do a little a little marketing for small businesses on the side, and the Mac's are superior to PC for any creative editing.

I'll break down and get one eventually, but can't afford to any time soon.

Oh, and . . .

GABLIPSTER FTMFW!

Do yourself a favor, keep your Windows and Office disks and install VMWare Fusion so you can run both side by side. There are certain apps (the entire Office Suite for instance) that run/look/feel a lot better on the Windows OS.

I have a MacBook Pro and I love it, but this made the transition a LOT easier/better. Also, you might want to go to Amazon and buy a memory upgrade. It will run soooo much faster than the default it comes with. I got the 16GB upgrade with Corsair for under $100 (the off-brand Komputerbay is only $50 but I've read a lot of negative things about it regarding corrupt chipsets and not being able to use all 16GB, the Corsair worked perfect for me).

If you don't want to go with Fusion, you could also run Parallels which comes with 10 other app's for the same price ($50) through mupromo.com. I've heard Parallels (Mac specific) is good, but I'm prepping for the VCP5, so I figured I'd stick with VMWare (industry leader).

Do yourself a favor, keep your Windows and Office disks and install VMWare Fusion so you can run both side by side. There are certain apps (the entire Office Suite for instance) that run/look/feel a lot better on the Windows OS.

I have a MacBook Pro and I love it, but this made the transition a LOT easier/better. Also, you might want to go to Amazon and buy a memory upgrade. It will run soooo much faster than the default it comes with. I got the 16GB upgrade with Corsair for under $100 (the off-brand Komputerbay is only $50 but I've read a lot of negative things about it regarding corrupt chipsets and not being able to use all 16GB, the Corsair worked perfect for me).

If you don't want to go with Fusion, you could also run Parallels which comes with 10 other app's for the same price ($50) through mupromo.com. I've heard Parallels (Mac specific) is good, but I'm prepping for the VCP5, so I figured I'd stick with VMWare (industry leader).

thanks for the info.. i am building myself a new system and was trying to decide between fusion or parallels. yeah the 16 gig corsair upgrade is what i am doing as well.

While I have never used a thunderbolt display, I doubt it will work with a windows computer, since I do not know of any windows computers that have thunderbolt ports. I believe those displays are pretty much only for apple machines, unless you could find a thunderbolt to hdmi.

I actually ordered RAM and an SSD in preparation - unfortunately newegg is being slow, so I'll have to play around with it a bit before I can upgrade it and reinstall Lion.

I'll definitely be using Fusion, assuming I can spare the space on my SSD. I'm pretty familiar with other VMWare products (did the VCP4 test prep course), but I've never messed with Fusion.

I'm considering upgrading my monitors for my photo editing.....any mac users have any experience with the thunderbolt display? having never used apple/mac products, will it work with a windows pc?

AFAIK, there have only been two retail motherboards with the thunderbolt I/O controller made available for system builders (Asus and MSI). That's basically your only option, outside buying and running windows on an Apple machine.

I actually ordered RAM and an SSD in preparation - unfortunately newegg is being slow, so I'll have to play around with it a bit before I can upgrade it and reinstall Lion.

I'll definitely be using Fusion, assuming I can spare the space on my SSD. I'm pretty familiar with other VMWare products (did the VCP4 test prep course), but I've never messed with Fusion.

The VM with Fusion acts similar to thin client provisioning. You give it 60GB but it doesn't reserve it so the space is useable from Mac OS. You can increase as needed but you can't decrease it. So start small and you'll be fine. Also, enable sharing between the VM and the Mac. That way you don't double your storage for files you want to access on both OS'.