The One Thing I've Learned On Here

Guest Gritz

Guest Gritz

Reading (and even participating in) some of the typical off season grousing and complaining on here I've come to a conclusion about something:

There isn't a single person on this message board persuasive, smart or pessimistic enough to dissuade me from my general optimism about the Falcons.

I'm plenty savvy enough to understand the weak points on this team. Left tackle is still a huge question mark. Who will emerge at right guard? Will there be a noticeable drop off at fullback with Ewing taking over for the much loved Ovie? How much more effective can Dirk Koetter make this offense? Can we at least present the threat of a deep completion every now and then? Can Ryan revert to the bravado he displayed as a rookie?

How much does a newly-signed Abe have left in the tank? Will the real Ray Edwards please stand up? Is there even a sliver of a chance that Peria Jerry can be an effective DT? Tatupu, washed up has been or motivated former Probowler?....If Tatupu's done can Dent fill that mike spot? Can Mike Nolan's more aggressive schemes revitalize the sagging careers of Decoud and Robinson?

A lot of questions....and none of us know what the answers are going to be....but it doesn't cost me any more to believe we're on the cusp of something memorable this year than the inverse.

Go Falcons. It's your time.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

Another good post Gritz. The only answer I have is that the real Ray Edwards has already stood up.

I hope you're wrong. I'm scared you're right.

After watching how we performed in last year playoff game vs NYG after I spent all week thinking positive were going to win and get to next step to come out and play that way after last year crushing playoff game vs Packers ..This team /group Smith/TD/Ryan will never get any positive blessings unless they go out and prove it next year in playoff time then I will start to believe ...Maybe this is good cause if Im not expecting anything from this team next year which I already feel we will be out of the playoffs and we do go to the Super Bowl and do great things It will be totally unexpected and a welcome sighting ..Then I can say this journey was well worth the agony of the last 2 playoff games

Edited by toldyallgoham

Gritz reading our website and from what I am reading and hearing one theme keeps ringing through all of the defensive players comments. They love the new scheme and the word is Attack!

As he and his teammates are learning Nolan’s system, one key trait jumps out, especially to the defensive linemen.

“It’s a lot better,” Edwards said of his role versus the role he played in 2011. “It’s more of us up front attacking, attacking, attacking and not jumping back in coverage. That’s the more plus thing of the defense and letting the back end play the way they play.”

I don't understand people that aren't optimistic about sports teams they follow. Sports are a distraction. It's entertainment. If you truly believe the team you follow is going to suck, why watch? Why hang around and complain about it? It is illogical. If you can't find a way to be optimistic about sports, you are either a Cubs fan or you are doing it wrong.

Another good post Gritz. The only answer I have is that the real Ray Edwards has already stood up.

The BVG Edwards should be different from the Nolan Edwards. Not saying better, just different. Hoping better. I do think Sid will surpass him though as the second rusher.

Our entire defense will be used differently, even Dunta, so we have to give Nolan a year to work his stuff.

I don't understand people that aren't optimistic about sports teams they follow. Sports are a distraction. It's entertainment. If you truly believe the team you follow is going to suck, why watch? Why hang around and complain about it? It is illogical. If you can't find a way to be optimistic about sports, you are either a Cubs fan or you are doing it wrong.

Well Mr Smiley everybody is different. I have spent over 30 years cheering for the Falcons. You spend alot of time worrying about what others think. For most of those 30 years I have had the feeling that we were gonna suck, and I was right on most of them. I am optimistic at times, but still know the Falcons history. In 98 I had no expectations and thought that we would finish in the basement and we know how that turned out. Even though I may not have high expectations sometime, I bleed Red and Black and am still excited to watch Falcon football win or lose, right or wrong.

The BVG Edwards should be different from the Nolan Edwards. Not saying better, just different. Hoping better. I do think Sid will surpass him though as the second rusher.

Our entire defense will be used differently, even Dunta, so we have to give Nolan a year to work his stuff.

Yeah, I know the Nolan era will be different. Glad to see that you think Sidbury could be pretty good as well. I just don't see Edwards being any different under BVG, Nolan , on Playstation or Xbox.

Reading (and even participating in) some of the typical off season grousing and complaining on here I've come to a conclusion about something:

There isn't a single person on this message board persuasive, smart or pessimistic enough to dissuade me from my general optimism about the Falcons.

I'm plenty savvy enough to understand the weak points on this team. Left tackle is still a huge question mark. Who will emerge at right guard? Will there be a noticeable drop off at fullback with Ewing taking over for the much loved Ovie? How much more effective can Dirk Koetter make this offense? Can we at least present the threat of a deep completion every now and then? Can Ryan revert to the bravado he displayed as a rookie?

How much does a newly-signed Abe have left in the tank? Will the real Ray Edwards please stand up? Is there even a sliver of a chance that Peria Jerry can be an effective DT? Tatupu, washed up has been or motivated former Probowler?....If Tatupu's done can Dent fill that mike spot? Can Mike Nolan's more aggressive schemes revitalize the sagging careers of Decoud and Robinson?

A lot of questions....and none of us know what the answers are going to be....but it doesn't cost me any more to believe we're on the cusp of something memorable this year than the inverse.

Gritz, many fail to realize it was Dunta being able to play inside is where he made most of his big plays and rep. He will be back there again under this new scheme. You add that to us getting #22. This team is gonna have some swagger. Confidence and buying in to what your coaches are doing is an intangible that is hard to measure. But I am of the belief that this team did not buy what BVG was selling. From the interviews I am reading and hearing they are all in.

But as always it is still just June and time will tell. But good or bad I am along for the ride.

Guest Gritz

Lol I meant Billy Ocean....

but if I had the choice of which I like more between Body Odour and some of the people posting on here..... I'd have to think about it.

I like a lot of Ocean's posts too.....guy makes me laugh.

therock.gif