Ray’S Ready To Play

theProf

Ray’s Ready To Play

By:Daniel Cox | June 13th, 2012

Last season didn’t quite go as expected for Ray Edwards. An offseason surgery combined with the lockout didn’t allow the defensive end to get the work in that he’s used to. Now a second-year member of the Falcons and learning a new scheme with everyone else, he feels much more at home and ready to bring it.

There’s a lot of changes going around the Falcons this offseason, most notably is the addition of new coordinators on both sides of the ball. Mike Nolan brings a defensive scheme to Atlanta that is widely recognized as successful around the league, with a trademark aggression that puts an emphasis on taking away the ball by any means necessary.

More of the more quiet changes, or adjustments, is Ray Edwards’ comfort level with the Falcons.

Edwards joined the Falcons within a few days of training camp starting after the lockout wiped all offseason activities off the schedule. A knee surgery during the offseason and rehab on his own set him back before he was even able to begin with his new team.

This year his smile is like a million bucks and he’s enjoying the experience of practicing with his teammates in a way he didn’t last year, while they learn Nolan’s scheme.

“Definitely coming here and getting more camaraderie with the guys and getting more familiar with the guys, spending time with them off the field as well as on the field,” Edwards said on Wednesday. “Just having fun and getting to know each other and personalities. Just having a great time out here.”

Edwards recorded 3.5 sacks last season after two straight seasons in Minnesota of eight or more sacks. While he was strong in run defense, his pass pressure and sack totals weren’t quite what he was expecting. The defensive end said coming straight out of a surgery and into the full season was difficult on his body. As the season progressed he began to have trouble with his other leg as well. This season he says the offseason has allowed him to get fully healthy and he’s ready to play.

Falcons head coach Mike Smith anticipates an improvement from his prize defensive end signing from a year ago.

“Ray is much healthier than he was at the end of the season, like all of our guys,” he said.

“We anticipate that he’s going to improve. Working with Mike and the new scheme, there’s a learning curve that all the guys are going through, but I think he’ll do a good job for us.”

As he and his teammates are learning Nolan’s system, one key trait jumps out, especially to the defensive linemen.

“It’s a lot better,” Edwards said of his role versus the role he played in 2011. “It’s more of us up front attacking, attacking, attacking and not jumping back in coverage. That’s the more plus thing of the defense and letting the back end play the way they play.”

With the addition of Asante Samuel at cornerback, joining Brent Grimes and Dunta Robinson, the Falcons secondary should be able to maintain their coverage perhaps better than they did last season. If that’s the case, Edwards sees a rotation of players in the front four that can aggressively go after the quarterback and force mistakes.

It’s the kind of play he’s used to from his five seasons as a Viking. He thinks the best way to get the most of out his abilities is to let him go chase the quarterback.

“I came from a defense in Minnesota where it didn’t matter, we just rushed the front four and let the back end do their job,” he said. “That’s what I think this defense is more geared to.”

Published 01 hour ago hours ago by Daniel Cox.

“It’s a lot better,” Edwards said of his role versus the role he played in 2011. “It’s more of us up front attacking, attacking, attacking and not jumping back in coverage. That’s the more plus thing of the defense and letting the back end play the way they play.”

It’s the kind of play he’s used to from his five seasons as a Viking. He thinks the best way to get the most of out his abilities is to let him go chase the quarterback.

“I came from a defense in Minnesota where it didn’t matter, we just rushed the front four and let the back end do their job,” he said. “That’s what I think this defense is more geared to.”

thank you. this is why I'm glad we got Nolan because he's gonna have the guys do what they do. it simple, get the pass rushers to rush, let the DBs cover. a lot of guys are gonna look so much better under Nolan

Ray’s Ready To Play

Last season didn’t quite go as expected for Ray Edwards. An offseason surgery combined with the lockout didn’t allow the defensive end to get the work in that he’s used to. Now a second-year member of the Falcons and learning a new scheme with everyone else, he feels much more at home and ready to bring it.

There’s a lot of changes going around the Falcons this offseason, most notably is the addition of new coordinators on both sides of the ball. Mike Nolan brings a defensive scheme to Atlanta that is widely recognized as successful around the league, with a trademark aggression that puts an emphasis on taking away the ball by any means necessary.

More of the more quiet changes, or adjustments, is Ray Edwards’ comfort level with the Falcons.

Edwards joined the Falcons within a few days of training camp starting after the lockout wiped all offseason activities off the schedule. A knee surgery during the offseason and rehab on his own set him back before he was even able to begin with his new team.

This year his smile is like a million bucks and he’s enjoying the experience of practicing with his teammates in a way he didn’t last year, while they learn Nolan’s scheme.

“Definitely coming here and getting more camaraderie with the guys and getting more familiar with the guys, spending time with them off the field as well as on the field,” Edwards said on Wednesday. “Just having fun and getting to know each other and personalities. Just having a great time out here.”

Edwards recorded 3.5 sacks last season after two straight seasons in Minnesota of eight or more sacks. While he was strong in run defense, his pass pressure and sack totals weren’t quite what he was expecting. The defensive end said coming straight out of a surgery and into the full season was difficult on his body. As the season progressed he began to have trouble with his other leg as well. This season he says the offseason has allowed him to get fully healthy and he’s ready to play.

Falcons head coach Mike Smith anticipates an improvement from his prize defensive end signing from a year ago.

“Ray is much healthier than he was at the end of the season, like all of our guys,” he said.

“We anticipate that he’s going to improve. Working with Mike and the new scheme, there’s a learning curve that all the guys are going through, but I think he’ll do a good job for us.”

As he and his teammates are learning Nolan’s system, one key trait jumps out, especially to the defensive linemen.

With the addition of Asante Samuel at cornerback, joining Brent Grimes and Dunta Robinson, the Falcons secondary should be able to maintain their coverage perhaps better than they did last season. If that’s the case, Edwards sees a rotation of players in the front four that can aggressively go after the quarterback and force mistakes.

Ray’s Ready To Play

Looks like someone is looking for an excuse. Really? You were apprehensive to rush the passer because you were worried the Falcons secondary was SO much worse than the Vikings?? Come on man! STFU and do your F=ing job B!tch!!!!

Edited by Falcon Man

Looks like someone is looking for an excuse. Really? You were apprehensive to rush the passer because you were worried the Falcons secondary was SO much worse than the Vikings?? Come on man! STFU and do your F=ing job B!tch!!!!

I know you just want to snap.... lol...

But i think he is more talking about BVG scheme.... Rather im buying Ray talk or no.. I fully agree our D Scheme played towards not having trust in our DB'S....

I hated seeing our DE's in coverage alot... Especially Abe.... I also hated the 3 man rush....

I know you just want to snap.... lol...

But i think he is more talking about BVG scheme.... Rather im buying Ray talk or no.. I fully agree our D Scheme played towards not having trust in our DB'S....

I hated seeing our DE's in coverage alot... Especially Abe.... I also hated the 3 man rush....

lol.

I agree to a point jbo,,,

if ray is healthy and the addition of samuel. we could be in for a real treat from the defensive side of the ball.

From an Vivlamore AJC article this morning:

"A healthy Edwards ready

Ray Edwards has undergone two knee surgeries since signing with the Falcons as a free agent last season. The latest came following a 3.5 sack season last year. The defensive end, whom the Falcons gave a five-year, $30 million contract, says he is finally healthy. " '

(I didn't realize Edwards has gone through 2 knee surgeries AFTER signing with the Falcons).

With the negativity blinding some of us because we want to jump Ray, I'm going to assume that no one saw the positive of what Ray said out of this article.

Someone on another topic said that we needed to stop doing this and looks like Ray pointed out that we will not be focusing on that any more and trusting the secondary to do their job and cover. If the secondary gets burned, so be it but it will be about trust this season for everyone to handle what they are supposed to do.

It’s the kind of play he’s used to from his five seasons as a Viking. He thinks the best way to get the most of out his abilities is to let him go chase the quarterback. That means to eliminate falling back into coverage.

“I came from a defense in Minnesota where it didn’t matter, we just rushed the front four and let the back end do their job,” he said. “That’s what I think this defense is more geared to.” That's how they played in Minnie, but BVG didn't trust the secondary so we were dropping guys up front into coverage and still were getting burnt in the pass.

Regardless of how bad the secondary may have sucked in Minne, the front still maintained their responsibilities and remained in attack mode as they still do today. When the front can focus on their job of rushing the QB, they can get more productivity up front.

Edited by tobyd77

With the negativity blinding some of us because we want to jump Ray, I'm going to assume that no one saw the positive of what Ray said out of this article.

Someone on another topic said that we needed to stop doing this and looks like Ray pointed out that we will not be focusing on that any more and trusting the secondary to do their job and cover. If the secondary gets burned, so be it but it will be about trust this season for everyone to handle what they are supposed to do.

It’s the kind of play he’s used to from his five seasons as a Viking. He thinks the best way to get the most of out his abilities is to let him go chase the quarterback. That means to eliminate falling back into coverage.

“I came from a defense in Minnesota where it didn’t matter, we just rushed the front four and let the back end do their job,” he said. “That’s what I think this defense is more geared to.” That's how they played in Minnie, but BVG didn't trust the secondary so we were dropping guys up front into coverage and still were getting burnt in the pass.

Regardless of how bad the secondary may have sucked in Minne, the front still maintained their responsibilities and remained in attack mode as they still do today. When the front can focus on their job of rushing the QB, they can get more productivity up front.

It doesn't matter if you have 11 guys in coverage, if you give any of the QBs in our division time to sit in the pocket they WILL pick you apart. I have faith that Nolan won't let that happen and I hope Ray get's back to form this season.

Health is important and a passive scheme will never put up big numbers. Nolan is obviously way more aggressive so guys will feed off of their coaches scheme and mentality!

I expect Ray Edwards to be much improved due to health and to scheme. However I am not expecting some probowl type season.