David Stern Asks Jim Rome "have You Stopped Beating Your Wife Yet?"

Mr. Hoopah!

Click on link for audio. Hilarious stuff.

http://deadspin.com/5918141/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The Jim Rome Show turned awkward today as NBA commissioner David Stern lashed out at the show's host for asking whether the league's draft lottery was fixed, asking at one point "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

It was a marked difference from the pair's usual collegial attitude displayed on Stern's regular appearances on the program.

Stern and Rome debated the legitimacy of the question for several minutes in a heated exchange before Stern said "I have to go call someone important now. Stephen A. Smith is up next." Obviously Stern's referring to the loaded question fallacy and not actually implying Rome is a domestic abuser, but would Rome's audience get the philosophy class reference? It wasn't a loaded question to begin with, after all; that would be "When did the NBA start rigging the draft lottery?"

h/t to Steve for the audio

Stern was just wrong. After the draft, everybody that reports on sports was talking about the fact that the team owned by the NBA won the lottery. Yahoo Sports wrote:

The reaction of several league executives was part disgust, part resignation on Wednesday night. So many had predicted this happening, so many suspected that somehow, someway, the Hornets would walk away with Davis. That's the worst part for the NBA; these aren't the railings from the guy sitting at the corner tavern, but the belief of those working within the machinery that something undue happened here, that they suspect it happens all the time under Stern.

Stern should have welcomed the opportunity to take these suspicions head on, and instead he created a confrontation with Jim Rome out of thin air.

That guy is worse than Goodell.

Stern is a mack. What did Rome think he was going to say in response to a loaded question? That's like freaking Barbara Walters asking Robert Blake if he killed his wife in a jailhouse interview just as he was about to go to trial. It doesn't take balls to ask a nervy question. As a matter of fact, it takes a supreme deficiency of balls to ask it.

Stern is a mack. What did Rome think he was going to say in response to a loaded question? That's like freaking Barbara Walters asking Robert Blake if he killed his wife in a jailhouse interview just as he was about to go to trial. It doesn't take balls to ask a nervy question. As a matter of fact, it takes a supreme deficiency of balls to ask it.

What should he have done, just avoided the topic?

What should he have done, just avoided the topic?

The question should have been "how do you address those who question the legitmacy of the draft?" To ask "was the fix in on the lottery?" is an assinine way to put it. Was Stern going to say that it was fixed? Rome knew the answer, but alson knew that if he answered that the lottery wasn't fixed, the phrasing of the question was such that many would not believe him anyway. It was a poor way to ask a question and shows Rome to be a hack.

http://en.wikipedia....Loaded_question

Stop doing the lottery draft, problem solved. No more rigging.

Or do it like the real lottery with the ping pong balls be drawn and televise it. It is extremely sketchy how they do it behind close doors and just announce who wins the lottery picks....

Edited by JHav

Or do it like the real lottery with the ping pong balls be drawn and televise it. It is extremely sketchy how they do it behind close doors and just announce who wins the lottery picks....

The team owners are present when the actual drawing takes place. They'd know if it was fixed. But, the whole "flipping over team logos" thing is stoopid.

The question should have been "how do you address those who question the legitmacy of the draft?" To ask "was the fix in on the lottery?" is an assinine way to put it. Was Stern going to say that it was fixed? Rome knew the answer, but alson knew that if he answered that the lottery wasn't fixed, the phrasing of the question was such that many would not believe him anyway. It was a poor way to ask a question and shows Rome to be a hack.

http://en.wikipedia....Loaded_question

Ok, I just disagree with you. He gave him the direct question, it was black and white, don't understand the complaint you have.

Some questions are so obvious, they don't deserve an answer to. I wouldn't ask a defendant if he was guilty if he was still on trial. I wouldn't ask a Jonathan Vilma if he paid or received bounties after he stated loudly that he had not. I wouldn't ask a restaurant owner if he recommended his establishment after he took a knock from code enforcement.

That is not compelling. It's actually insulting to the person being questioned. It might sound compelling, but it's not. But it's cool to disagree with each other.

IF anything this just adds to the speculation.

Stern is a man with a lot of power he could have easily brushed aside the question with a no and changed directions.

However the fact that he replied the way he did says a lot about who is he is and what was being questioned

IF anything this just adds to the speculation.

Stern is a man with a lot of power he could have easily brushed aside the question with a no and changed directions.

However the fact that he replied the way he did says a lot about who is he is and what was being questioned

Agree 100%. Rome gave him a golden opportunity to politely dismiss the theory being floated around (and not by Jim Rome), and Stern went all stupid. It was wierd.

Jim Rome has made a career out of asshattery. It's what he does, it's what he's always done, and probably all he'll continue to do. He is devoid of any sort of real class or journalistic skills, so he resorts to being contentious with people to get a rise out of them.

Good on David Stern for finally being the one to call out Rome for the incredible dooshbag that he has been for the entirety of his professional career.

I ain't even know Stern had jokes like that, the **** had me rolling in the car this morning. "I'm gonna go call someone important now like Steven A. Smith."

Oh, and "Do you still beat your wife?" is a common catchphrase used, mostly in law circles, when confronted with a ridiculous or loaded question. He wasn't actually accusing Rome of being a wife-beater.

Jim Rome has made a career out of asshattery. It's what he does, it's what he's always done, and probably all he'll continue to do. He is devoid of any sort of real class or journalistic skills, so he resorts to being contentious with people to get a rise out of them.

Good on David Stern for finally being the one to call out Rome for the incredible dooshbag that he has been for the entirety of his professional career.

I ain't even know Stern had jokes like that, the **** had me rolling in the car this morning. "I'm gonna go call someone important now like Steven A. Smith."

Oh, and "Do you still beat your wife?" is a common catchphrase used, mostly in law circles, when confronted with a ridiculous or loaded question. He wasn't actually accusing Rome of being a wife-beater.

Other than an incident with Jim Everett nearly 20 years ago, give me an example of Jim Rome doing that.

If you can't give us a few, I'll just assume you don't know what the h*ll you are talking about, cause I don't think you do.

Other than an incident with Jim Everett nearly 20 years ago, give me an example of Jim Rome doing that.

If you can't give us a few, I'll just assume you don't know what the h*ll you are talking about, cause I don't think you do.

The last really outlandish thing he did before this was put a 3000$ bounty on that old hockey player trying to return (He was like 60 something) and that was in '97

I'm not going through your husband's audio vault to prove a point to you Mrs. Rome. Anyone who has listened to the man speak longer than 3 minutes knows what an unmitigated feminine hygiene product he is.

His entire career is built off of doing absolutely nothing but taking shots at people and playing "shock jock." He has never contributed anything to sports outside of being an obnoxious and brash blowhard. Nobody has ever listened to him offer an opinion or commentary on the world of sports and thought "Wow that was a fantastic point and he clearly put some thought into it." You can tell Stern really hits a nerve when he points this out to him too, because Rome immediately goes into pissy, whiny, "I take great offense to that" mode. His response to Stern dropping a truth-bomb on him tells you all you need to know.

If someone who drew caricatures was going to draw a caricature of a sports talk guy, they would draw Jim Rome. 45-year-old frat guy who trashes everything that isn't mainstream and uses dumb catchphrases to hide the fact that he never has f*ckall to say about anything unless it requires him to take a shot at someone.

Edited by Heisenberg