Bakers Injury

Sam Baker - T - Falcons

Falcons LT Sam Baker underwent an "additional" surgery earlier this offseason, presumably on his troublesome back.

There are no details on the procedure, though Baker's struggles last season were blamed on a herniated disc near his spinal cord that required "discectomy" surgery. Now healthy, Baker has at least temporarily regained the starting job from Will Svitek. Atlanta needs Baker to turn in above-average play this season after Matt Ryan lost trust in his pass protection last year.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Jun 13 - 9:09 AM

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys say he has no heart. With a herniated disc near his spine had to be very painful, but he stilled tried to play. Would you call that heart?

Yea, cause I got one ...I promise it aint no frigging joke .......MOFO should prolly retire before he is crippled for life .........

You guys say he has no heart. With a herniated disc near his spine had to be very painful, but he stilled tried to play. Would you call that heart?

I don't think his "heart" (or lack thereof) was ever at issue here. The man hasn't performed on the field. OLT isn't like RB or WR, where you can dress 4 or 5 a game. The player has to be on the field and productive.

I don't think his "heart" (or lack thereof) was ever at issue here. The man hasn't performed on the field. OLT isn't like RB or WR, where you can dress 4 or 5 a game. The player has to be on the field and productive.

Yeah I agree just seen a lot of people say he sucks and no heart. I'm not saying he's going to start and be good for us, but I'm not quite ready to write him off either.

Herniated or buldging disk is really a career ending injury. Although you can rehab and play thru the pain you'll never be the same. Baker had potential but its over for him as a falcon people thinking he will rebound and play above average are fooling themselves. Having heart has nothing to do with feeding your family. I believe he WANTS to play, but he plays cause he HAS too. I never thought he didn't have the heart to play, he just doesn't have the talent to play at the level a 1st round pick should play on. If this guy was a 3rd-5th round pick we probably wouldn't be calling for his head

Got to admit- that shows some heart. Can't say I'm a Baker fan- but speaking personally- I might just hang it up if it was me. Seems like a difficult injury to consistently battle while holding what is maybe the most grueling position in game.

Sam Baker is garbage

Perria Jerry is garbage

and throw Dunta and Ray Edwards into the garbage bin

TD needs to start taking out the trash

Sam and Jerry need to be in the compost bin. Forget trash. Lol I give Dunta and Edwards some more time. Dunta on a very short leash because he just looks plain lost at times. Edwards at least is on a modest contract and fully healthy and in an attacking scheme.

Sam and Jerry need to be in the compost bin. Forget trash. Lol I give Dunta and Edwards some more time. Dunta on a very short leash because he just looks plain lost at times. Edwards at least is on a modest contract and fully healthy and in an attacking scheme.

Dunta and Edwards get this 1 year . I think Mass can take Edwards job

Dunta and Edwards get this 1 year . I think Mass can take Edwards job

I agree. I think Mass will be pushing Edwards and Biermann. The fact that the Dolphins went at Edwards when Nolan was there makes me think Nolan has something in store for him. Dunta is almost in Baker territory with me. Edwards not yet.

I'm calling it dumb. Dumb on his part for trying, dumb for the HC letting him risk making it worse. After a few downs you have to see it's not working.

I'm calling it dumb. Dumb on his part for trying, dumb for the HC letting him risk making it worse. After a few downs you have to see it's not working.

**** right.

Trying to play through that type of injury is not only harmful to himeself but his team. a Healthy less talented player is more likley to outperform a more talented injured player. Just simple fact.

It's mind-boggling that this guy is still on the roster, much less that "Baker has at least temporarily regained the starting job from Will Svitek." I just can't see that statement holding up through the start of the season. If it does, 'twas nice knowing ya, Matt.

amen sister. especially since whenever he was 'healthy' he struggled big time. now you wanna tell me coach was playing him gimpy when Svitek could have been playing ... not cool

amen sister. especially since whenever he was 'healthy' he struggled big time. now you wanna tell me coach was playing him gimpy when Svitek could have been playing ... not cool

When he was healthy he didn't struggle big time. Not sure where you got that. Svitek didn't play as good as people said either. Svitek got a lot of help and that's one reason the interior of the line struggled.

This is why I don't ike TD. Baker had these injuries coming out of college. You can't be a bust or get blamed for drafting busts if they are injured. In fact, folks will say, "That guy has heart."