More Hypothetical Falcons Trades That You Would Like To See Happen

The rules are simple:

1) Cannot use core players or recent high draft picks the team would never trade: Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Sean Weatherspoon, Asante Samuel, Brent Grimes, Dunta Robinson, William Moore, John Abraham, Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes.

2) Cannot trade the 1st or 2nd round picks in the 2013 draft.

3) No Clark Kent lol.

I encourage you to post your own.

I've mainly highlighted these needs in the trades I've been formulating: DT, RB, #4 WR, TE, left tackle, SLB, DE

Here's one example of a new hypothetical trade with detailed analysis:

The Falcons trade a 2013 5th round pick and a 2013 6th round pick for RB Reggie Bush, WR Clyde Gates, and a 2013 7th round pick.

The NFL pushed the trade backline back from Week 6 to Week 8, and I think this will result in more trades that occur in the MLB and NBA near the trade deadline: teams that are effectively out of the hunt for playoffs will be much more open to dealing talented players, particularly those who are on expiring contracts. By Week 6 only the god awful team or 2 in the NFL new that they were out of it -- it isn't unfeasible to make the playoffs after starting 1-4 or 2-3. But if you're 2-5 or 1-6, or god forbid 0-7, you have a much better idea if you are not going to make the playoffs or if you are a lousy team that needs some rebuilding.

One team that I think will find themselves in this dilemma is the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins may have an improved defense, but they have no WRs to put up points with and will likely be rolling with a rookie QB (although Garrard has been getting the most 1st team reps to date). If they start off that bad in a division with 3 teams with postseason aspirations, they may want to get as many draft picks as possible to continue the rebuild. There are a few interesting names on this roster, but the one that sticks out to me is Reggie Bush. Bush is on the last year of his deal and won't help bring fans to the stadium if they're that bad -- what's also important is that the NEW regime in Miami drafted Lamar Miller in the 3rd round and were astounded he was available since they had him rated as a late 1st round/early 2nd round RB in the draft. They also have Daniel Thomas from last year's second round of the draft, but the new regime doesn't seem to think he fits the scheme and aren't too high on him -- I'd consider going after him but he isn't explosive and is identical to Jason Snelling, just younger. Lamar Miller is going to have a big role as a rookie, whether as a slot WR, return man, or RB. If their season is in the gutter, they may want to get Miller more touches as the future of the RB position in Miami so he's ready to be the featured guy in Year 2.

Gauging what Bush's value is is a little more formulaic than other trades I've posted since he was traded to the Dolphins from the Saints. The Dolphins gave the Saints safety Jon Amaya and swapped 6th round picks with the Saints, allowing the Saints to move up. That was a very marginal price, but Bush had a very nice year last year showing that he's finally capable of running inside and outside which would seemingly boost his trade value. Then you factor in that Bush is a year older and the Dolhpins would get a financial reprieve from moving Bush in a lost season and not having to pay the second half of the last year of his contract (the Falcons would) and the Dolphins' owner is typically cost-conscious. Let's say for arguments sake that a 5th round pick would definitely do it because that's clearing his trade value. A 6th round pick should also get it done if we negotiate well. If we want anything additional, we'd have to go with the 5th round pick -- and we may have to swap an additional pick depending on what we're going after.

The new regime has soured on Clyde Gates, a popular name around here a year ago who ended up drafted by the old Dolphins regime. The new regime doesn't like him and he's plummeting down the depth chart.

When asked to address the Dolphins' receiver corps on Friday, GM Jeff Ireland named five wideouts before mentioning Clyde Gates. Ireland called Brian Hartline and Davone Bess "players with tremendous experience," and said Legedu Naanee has "looked really good" in pre-training camp workouts. Ireland then talked up Roberto Wallace and Marlon Moore before finally getting to Gates and calling him a guy who "still has to develop." There has been speculation in Miami that Gates' roster spot could be in danger
That was written before they brought in Ochocinco to get snaps ahead of Gates. He could end up getting cut, but then I think that a team with a higher waiver slot than us like the Colts would claim him since they need WRs. Gates is a speed demon and could be an interesting pick up for us. He could compete for the #4 WR job and he certainly has the talent to win it. We are pretty thin after our Top 3 WRs and I'm all for bringing in quality depth. By allowing the Dolphins to move up from their 7th round pick to our 6th round pick, we get Gates instead of them cutting him and sitting him on the bench for the entire year.

Atlanta trades for Bush because it gets a running back who excels in the screen game which is a major part of our offense this year. We also lack a premier return man and Bush is one of the best in the game. We'll get 7 weeks to see how Quizz handles his role, and if he doesn't excel then we will probably scour the trade market or the free agent for a back who could do a great job. I expect Quizz to do well, but I'd expect that Bush would be better. A backfield with Turner, Bush, Quizz, and Snelling has many facets and is deep and talented. Bush would give us a great weapon on our turf and he also showed last year that he can run with power inside the tackles. What's best about this is that Bush is on the last year of his deal so it would be a half season try out. If we really like his fit in the offense we could extend him in the offseason, or if we don't/we like the other free agent options like Jonathan Stewart or Matt Forte better than we can take a run at them and bring them in to be the feature back. A win-win for both teams, as the Dolphins get another draft pick to rebuild after a lost season and the Falcons get a great scheme-fitting piece to Koetter's offensive puzzle as well as a great return man without any long-term commitment.

First, I like your identified needs. I'd add a pure FS in there, just on the wishlist. But your top 4, DT, 4WR, 2TE, RB are big needs.

On the trade, I like the idea of Edmund/Clyde Gates a lot as a developmental slot guy with immediate deep threat potential. I'm not as big on Bush, simply because I want to start having RBs who are not tipoffs. Guys who are adept in the running and passing game. I know Bush has improved running, but still think he's primarily a passing weapon, and a third down RB. That has value, but not likely at his price. Optimally, we'd have a Steven Jackson/Peyton Hillis type platooning with a Kendall Hunter/Pierre Thomas type (I know these two aren't precisely the same type.) I know we won't get there this year, but I really want them to move away from the Big power back/slender 3rd down back combo.

Regardless, I see the sense in it, and like the Gates pickup.

It got hijacked.

I'll do you one better, OP...

4th for Daniel Thomas

LOL I know. Oh well.

You better be careful though, if you don't take that back Kent will "argue" with you relentlessly until he convinces you that he's "right" and you're "wrong" and if you don't he'll start harassing you via PMs. Seriously.

At least we can all count on the good posters to contribute positively.

4th for Daniel Thomas

I thought I gave some reasons in the OP as to why I was against this, no?

Yes Thomas is younger but he's got a lot going against him. He didn't have tremendous talent coming out of the draft, he had good size decent speed and could do a *little* of everything but nothing very well. He has significantly less natural talent than Bush, and although Turner is on the decline he'd struggle to beat out Jason Snelling for snaps -- they are very similar backs and Snelling knows this team.

Thomas is also coming off a severe injury whereas Bush is coming off of a breakout season where did everything very well. He changed his home run mentality and became determined to get those tough 4 yard gains.

Thomas also would cost less than a 4th rounder. He's now the 3rd string RB behind Lamar Miller who the new regime just drafted in the 3rd round and they had him rated as the 4th best RB in the draft. They love him so far and he is making both Bush and Thomas expendable, but more so Thomas because the new coaches dont like his fit in the new offense or his skill set.

I'm not a huge fan of his skill set either and would rather keep a 4th rounder than trade it for a Jason Snelling-like RB coming off of a bad injury with decent talent....especially when we have Snelling.

Bush on the other hand could be used by Koetter in the screen game and in the run game. Bush being on the field does not mean its going to be a pass as he rushed for over 1000 last years -- people not to get the old Reggie Bush out of their minds when evaluating what he brings to a rushing attack. Bush would also sove our return man issues which Thomas would not. Id still envision Turner as "starter" but he'd split touches with Bush evenly, and Quizz would also be peppered in.

I guess in some I like the talen and needs fit a ton more when it's Bush instead of Thomas.

LOL I know. Oh well.

You better be careful though, if you don't take that back Kent will "argue" with you relentlessly until he convinces you that he's "right" and you're "wrong" and if you don't he'll start harassing you via PMs. Seriously.

At least we can all count on the good posters to contribute positively.

Lol i think my links spoke for themselves in "Hypothetical Trades Part I". Its a shame you had the thread deleted. I thought it was a quality thread. If you refuse to believe beat writers for other teams and think you know more than they do then what can I say to that? My fingers are healing though so i'm ready for round 2 biggrin.png

Edited by Clark Kent

Lol i think my links spoke for themselves in "Hypothetical Trades Part I". Its a shame you had the thread deleted. I thought it was a quality thread. If you refuse to believe beat writers for other teams and think you know more than they do then what can I say to that? My fingers are healing though so i'm ready for round 2 biggrin.png

Once again, I did not try to get the thread deleted I tried to get *you* removed from the boards. The boards are always a little bit sunnier with one less troll around.

I wish it was still here so more people could have seen your wondrous "debate skills"

Back to trades.

Once again, I did not try to get the thread deleted I tried to get *you* removed from the boards. The boards are always a little bit sunnier with one less troll around.

I wish it was still here so more people could have seen your wondrous "debate skills"

Back to trades.

Lol so me proving your arguments to be false with actual facts (links) as i did several times means i'm a troll? Then how did telling on me (for whatever I did) end up in a deleted thread? Hmmmmm how convenient for you.

Still waiting on you to answer if you think that you know more about Oakland than Oaklands beat writer. I like how you conveniently avoided not answering that questions as well lol come on kid

Back to trades

Edited by Clark Kent

I thought I gave some reasons in the OP as to why I was against this, no?

Yes Thomas is younger but he's got a lot going against him. He didn't have tremendous talent coming out of the draft, he had good size decent speed and could do a *little* of everything but nothing very well. He has significantly less natural talent than Bush, and although Turner is on the decline he'd struggle to beat out Jason Snelling for snaps -- they are very similar backs and Snelling knows this team.

Thomas is also coming off a severe injury whereas Bush is coming off of a breakout season where did everything very well. He changed his home run mentality and became determined to get those tough 4 yard gains.

Thomas also would cost less than a 4th rounder. He's now the 3rd string RB behind Lamar Miller who the new regime just drafted in the 3rd round and they had him rated as the 4th best RB in the draft. They love him so far and he is making both Bush and Thomas expendable, but more so Thomas because the new coaches dont like his fit in the new offense or his skill set.

I'm not a huge fan of his skill set either and would rather keep a 4th rounder than trade it for a Jason Snelling-like RB coming off of a bad injury with decent talent....especially when we have Snelling.

Bush on the other hand could be used by Koetter in the screen game and in the run game. Bush being on the field does not mean its going to be a pass as he rushed for over 1000 last years -- people not to get the old Reggie Bush out of their minds when evaluating what he brings to a rushing attack. Bush would also sove our return man issues which Thomas would not. Id still envision Turner as "starter" but he'd split touches with Bush evenly, and Quizz would also be peppered in.

I guess in some I like the talen and needs fit a ton more when it's Bush instead of Thomas.

Hahahaha I apologize man. I selectively read your post while preoccupied doing some other stuff. I missed your explanation against Thomas.

Basically I'd take Thomas over Bush because he (despite the contrary this past season) can stay healthier.

Toss up, but we need another RB with Quizz, who although I love, can't carry the 300 carry load himself.

Lol so me proving your arguments to be false with actual facts (links) as i did several times means i'm a troll? Then how did telling on me (for whatever I did) end up in a deleted thread? Hmmmmm how convenient for you.

Back to trades

Links and actual facts are not synonymous lol. You provided someone else's opinion and called it fact and said my opinion had to be false. Sorry you don't understand that. You also amazingly parrotted everything in those little tweets and rotoworld clips as though they were your own thoughts, and then went onto a multipage argument trying to say how they were the absolute truth and could never change.

You do realize rotoworld updates their "opinions" of how players were perform all throughout the offseason, and they base what they say on fantasy value lol.

Back to trades, for good, do not hijack this again Spiderman. Or whatever you are.

Hahahaha I apologize man. I selectively read your post while preoccupied doing some other stuff. I missed your explanation against Thomas.

Basically I'd take Thomas over Bush because he (despite the contrary this past season) can stay healthier.

Toss up, but we need another RB with Quizz, who although I love, can't carry the 300 carry load himself.

I can forgive you for missing the Bush over Thomas explanation. However, in the time in between it seems you prompted the troll to come back out from under his bridge and attempt to hijack the thread. This I cannot forgive you for laugh.png

Links and actual facts are not synonymous lol. You provided someone else's opinion and called it fact and said my opinion had to be false. Sorry you don't understand that. You also amazingly parrotted everything in those little tweets and rotoworld clips as though they were your own thoughts, and then went onto a multipage argument trying to say how they were the absolute truth and could never change.

You do realize rotoworld updates their "opinions" of how players were perform all throughout the offseason, and they base what they say on fantasy value lol.

Back to trades, for good, do not hijack this again Spiderman. Or whatever you are.

You do realize rotoworlds clips are for the most part from BEATWRITERS from teams who know ALOT more than you. Or are you claiming to know more? Or are you going to avoid that question. Its simple. Do you or do you not know more than Oaklands beat writer? Pay attention everyone. Lets watch and see what his reply is (if he replies)

Edit:

Well nevermind I guess you can't reply and now we will never know. You lucked out again. Per mod request I can not reply to you any further. Well looks like you cried enough to them so they said we could not respond anymore. I guess now you are free to make up information again. Carry on. Until we meet again DirtyTurd

Edited by Clark Kent

I can forgive you for missing the Bush over Thomas explanation. However, in the time in between it seems you prompted the troll to come back out from under his bridge and attempt to hijack the thread. This I cannot forgive you for laugh.png

Fair enough. I am mad at myself for the same reason.

Here's another trade: Reynolds and a 4th for Evan Mathis. Solves all of our RG problems, lets Konz move to C.

Edited by Falcanuck

what is the point of all this hypothetical crap anyway? Its as useless as a helmet is to a motorcycle rider that gets on a head on collision with a car.

That helmet is more important than you think in that scenario.... To answer your question: it's something to do.

You do realize rotoworlds clips are for the most part from BEATWRITERS from teams who know ALOT more than you. Or are you claiming to know more? Or are you going to avoid that question. Its simple. Do you or do you not know more than Oaklands beat writer? Pay attention everyone. Lets watch and see what his reply is (if he replies)

Edit:

Well nevermind I guess you can't reply and now we will never know. You lucked out again. Per mod request I can not reply to you any further. Well looks like you cried enough to them so they said we could not respond anymore. I guess now you are free to make up information again. Carry on. Until we meet again DirtyTurd

LOL @ Clark Kent man. Pay attention everyone? You think you have an audience? Jeez.

"So they said we could not respond anymore"......who calls themselves "we"....sounds like you've got some stuff going on in that head of yours. Once again, no one told on you. They were asked to remove you from the boards, no one likes a thread-hijacking troll.

You do realize rotoworld gives snapshot information, as in how things are as of a specific point in time. They update them when things chance. They do not create neverchanging "facts" about players or teams. Last year they said Ochocinco was the #1 WR on the Pats depth chart when the trade went through. You would have posted that and said he would be the #1 forever and ever and nothing can change and that there would be no way he could fall down the depth chart ---- since they is your argument for Jacoby Ford's spot on Oakland's depth chart and how he can never fall down with Criner moving over him as the #3 WR.

lol sweet end of the comment btw. show's everyone how mature you are....

....darn you falcanuck.

Fair enough. I am mad at myself for the same reason.

Here's another trade: Reynolds and a 4th for Evan Mathis. Solves all of our RG problems, lets Konz move to C.

I like the premise, but wasn't Mathis just re-signed by the Eagles? Teams don't typically re-sign veterans and then trade them away. I don't think they'd move Mathis for any compensation really because he's a starting Pro Bowl guard and they have no one behind him.

A 4th for an OG is a good idea, I'd look for guys in contract years or guys on teams that aren't SB contenders this season.

My belief that TD drafted Konz to be our center of the feature is fading also with the reports on Hawley at center. I thought Hawley/McClure would be the centers this season and Konz in 2013 and beyond, but they apparently really like Hawley and he's a center only prospect at 6'3 300 lbs. Konz is 6'5 320 lbs and could be a really good OG as well as C. We fix more needs if Hawley pans out at center, because if we slide Konz to C then we have a need at guard which Hawley can't fill and who knows if Johnson can fill it.

Maybe add in a late round pick to the Dolphins trade to get OG John Jerry? Then we have a better chance of a Jerry working out on this team...

LOL @ Clark Kent man. Pay attention everyone? You think you have an audience? Jeez.

"So they said we could not respond anymore"......who calls themselves "we"....sounds like you've got some stuff going on in that head of yours. Once again, no one told on you. They were asked to remove you from the boards, no one likes a thread-hijacking troll.

You do realize rotoworld gives snapshot information, as in how things are as of a specific point in time. They update them when things chance. They do not create neverchanging "facts" about players or teams. Last year they said Ochocinco was the #1 WR on the Pats depth chart when the trade went through. You would have posted that and said he would be the #1 forever and ever and nothing can change and that there would be no way he could fall down the depth chart ---- since they is your argument for Jacoby Ford's spot on Oakland's depth chart and how he can never fall down with Criner moving over him as the #3 WR.

lol sweet end of the comment btw. show's everyone how mature you are....

....darn you falcanuck.

Well it appears as if we are both going to be banned then. If we were both told to not respond to each other.

Snapshot information? Are you being for real? They are getting information written by beat writers who are gathering information at that point in time. Hence why they say things like " Expect Ford to open the season as #3 WR and KR " and "Criner looked great in practice today, but don't get too high on him just yet. It is only OTA's and they are not in pads and not hitting".

LOL wow you again avoided the question! hahaha as of right now Ford is the #3 WR! You are claiming he is 5th! Oaklands beat writer says he will open as 3rd and you say 5th.

DO YOU OR DO YOU NOT KNOW MORE THAN OAKLANDS BEATWRITER?