Actions Speak Louder Than Words...

Enlightened32

As the Cowboys gear up for mini-camp, Jason Witten says, “Your actions will speak louder than words”

Ian Rapoport | Tags: Cowboys, Jason Witten, Jerry Jones, Mike Jenkins, mini-camp

witten2-car.jpg?w=300&h=199

Jason Witten at the FRAM’s Ready to Role event this weekend (Courtesy)

This past weekend, we caught up with Cowboys TE Jason Witten while he was doing a charity event at a local Walmart. He spoke about TE Rob Gronkowski’s new contract and why he’s involved with the Boys & Girls Club. But Witten also offered some thoughts on mini-camp, which begins today at Valley Ranch.

CB Mike Jenkins is already present, and so are a bunch of Cowboys teammates. What is Witten looking forward to?

A bunch of things…

We got a long way to go,” Witten told me. “I think we don’t really need any more motivation than we already have because of what happened last year. That last game against the Giants… and really they took advantage of that game, and we didn’t. Obviously, they went on and made a lot of big plays to give themselves an opportunity to win the Super Bowl. But ultimately, we just gotta execute better. We got a core group of guys that are good enough to be very successful in this league. We just gotta capitalize on it. It starts with Tony (Romo) and his leadership and being a quarterback that, week-in and week-out, is an elite player that gives you a chance to compete for that championship. But for us, it’s just respecting the process.”

Obviously, the Cowboys have goals. So does everyone else. It’s about, as Witten said, just working through OTAs and mini-camps and training camp to get ready.

Opening night against the division champs, it’s going to be a tough road, but we just … I think our approach is good,” Witten said. “Keep getting better and your actions will speak louder than words. And this team, I think, there’s an opportunity to say, ‘Hey, let’s go grab this.’ An opportunity to win right now, let’s take advantage of it. We see it every week in the NFL. It comes down to a couple plays and you’re going to be able to find the way to make those plays and that’s what we need to do. That’s we’re working on now.”

The final offseason chapter begins today.

The big question for the Cowboys is can they reach the level of success they seem capable of? Recent years illustrate under-acheivers who don't reach their potential. That is a mindset. JJ speaks the game, but the team doesn't back that up.

The big question for the Cowboys is can they reach the level of success they seem capable of? Recent years illustrate under-acheivers who don't reach their potential. That is a mindset. JJ speaks the game, but the team doesn't back that up.

This is why I love Garrett. You have to EARN your job under Garrett. Wade played whoever was paid to be a starter. It took an injury for Miles to start his first game under Wade. Thats pathetic.

Since Garrett was brought in Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Terence Newman, Alan Ball, Roy Williams, Marion Barber, Kyle Kosier, Igor Olshansky, and Andre Gurode have all been either released or not brought back. Hes making all the right moves. Hes drafted hard working former captains in the draft. I think he has us heading in the right direction. Hes still learning the HC position, but hes doing a great job building the team.

Cowboys are paper champions. They could be easy favorites every year to make a solid run. They it seems the wheels falls off. I personally think Jones needs to stay out of the football side of things and hold his staff accountable. Because i dont think the coaching staff is doing their job.

Just like the Eagles. Great team on paper and if the talent gets used right they could easily be the best in the NFL. Then you look back at last season and it leaves you shaking your head.

They screwed jenkins over, he cant afford to sit out. But they better hope he isnt a distraction.

But its cool Wittens out doing good things for the community.

But when you look at teams like the Packers, Giants, Saints, Pats, (old) colts the expectation was super bowl or bust. I dont think Dallas has that mindset nor that discipline. You just dont feel it with them. There is a certain level of cockiness in all elite QB`s and it makes people around them better. I just dont think Romo shows that the same way.

Hes still learning the HC position, but hes doing a great job building the team.

I dont see a coach still learning as a likely coach to win a SB and thats what the cowboys need. Someone who knows how to use that talent and win the big game.

I dont see a coach still learning as a likely coach to win a SB and thats what the cowboys need. Someone who knows how to use that talent and win the big game.

Hey, continuity is a great thing. Maybe this team wont win the Super Bowl, but the team he is building will. When he gets it he'llbe one of the top HCs in the league, of that Im sure. He does need an OC to bounce things off of though, he makes questionable offensive calls sometimes.

The way he prepares the team and the way they practice (compared to when Wade was here) is like night and day. Trust me, this complacency Dallas has felt before is gone.

Edited by Enlightened32

Hey, continuity is a great thing. Maybe this team wont win the Super Bowl, but the team he is building will. When he gets it he'llbe one of the top HCs in the league, of that Im sure. He does need an OC to bounce things off of though, he makes questionable offensive calls sometimes.

The way he prepares the team and the way they practice (compared to when Wade was here) is like night and day. Trust me, this complacency Dallas has felt before is gone.

Too bad you had to qualify your statement with "compared to when Wade was here"... seems Heath Evans on NFLN gave the Boys a roasting for going with Garrett when they could have gone Harbaugh or Fisher. Evans says that garrett didn't fix any of the soft mentality permeating Big D; pointed to the way Harbaugh turned Frisco's mentality in a season.

Just saw it on Total Access, so I thought I'd comment... don't shoot the messengerwink.png

Too bad you had to qualify your statement with "compared to when Wade was here"... seems Heath Evans on NFLN gave the Boys a roasting for going with Garrett when they could have gone Harbaugh or Fisher. Evans says that garrett didn't fix any of the soft mentality permeating Big D; pointed to the way Harbaugh turned Frisco's mentality in a season.

Just saw it on Total Access, so I thought I'd comment... don't shoot the messengerwink.png

Garrett, the back up to Aikman. The guy that was here on the sidelines through the 90s dynasty. The guy that saw first hand what it takes to build a dynasty. The first thing Garrett did when Wade was fired was put the pads back on during practice. Thats HUGE to me.

The more I hear Evans speak, the less I hear him say. I used to like him as a player, but I cant stand him on NFLN.

Do you have a link? Im curious what this had to do with.

*EDIT*

I found it!

Sapp charges the Cowboys with First Degree False Hope - Owner says window is closing, 2 playoff wins since 1996, Romo 1-3 in the playoffs, and its false hope because Witten and Romo think they can win now...

Evans charges the Cowboys with Malicious Personal Decisions - forfeit a second rounder for Claiborne instead of taking Dre Kirkpatrick, got Carr in FA not Finnegan (dirtiest CB in the game if you ask me) or Carlos Rodgers, Garrett lacking "discipline and structure"

My response...we arent even through training camp...we havent played one game...this isnt Madden...stop hating...

Edited by Enlightened32

Guest TheIdowu

Garrett, the back up to Aikman. The guy that was here on the sidelines through the 90s dynasty. The guy that saw first hand what it takes to build a dynasty. The first thing Garrett did when Wade was fired was put the pads back on during practice. Thats HUGE to me.

The more I hear Evans speak, the less I hear him say. I used to like him as a player, but I cant stand him on NFLN.

Do you have a link? Im curious what this had to do with.

*EDIT*

I found it!

You and I have this thing in common: Evans I could do without as an analyst. Unfortunately, listening to him is apart of it since I love watching NFL Network.

You and I have this thing in common: Evans I could do without as an analyst. Unfortunately, listening to him is apart of it since I love watching NFL Network.

He has been on this kick about the Cowboys not getting Finnegan or Rogers for over a month now. Hes a moron and I cant wait for Mo and Carr to make him choke on crow.

Yeah, Evans is no Prisco, that's for sure, but he does make a good point...

In Hindsight, would you rather have had Haabaugh or Garrett??

Garrett...I dont believe a word Evans says. Garrett is the man for the job.

Notice that he didnt mention all the Wade guys that Garrett got rid of or the roster cleansing Garrett has done. Man, this guy really pisses me off. This is the kind of crap that makes watching network coverage of the Cowboys so hard.

Garrett...I dont believe a word Evans says. Garrett is the man for the job.

Notice that he didnt mention all the Wade guys that Garrett got rid of or the roster cleansing Garrett has done. Man, this guy really pisses me off. This is the kind of crap that makes watching network coverage of the Cowboys so hard.

Doesn't have anything to do with Evans' opinion... Harbaugh seems to have the right stuff for ANY NFL team.

It's a moot point, but I wouldn't mind him being in charge of my Dirty Birds...and I'm easily a Mike Smith supporter

Edited by Falconcheff

Doesn't have anything to do with Evans' opinion... Harbaugh seems to have the right stuff for ANY NFL team.

It's a moot point, but I wouldn't mind him being in charge of my Dirty Birds...and I'm easily a Mike Smith supporter

Well, Ive seen what Garrett is doing, Ive seen the moves that hes made. I think we are headed in the right direction. I just think that people are expecting too much of a "talented" team. Ive said that I believe we could be 8-8 again this year and that could be true. Yet, we have a lot of up and coming talent on this team. So, if we were to draft a QB (worthy of starting in 2-3 years) I could see this thing being able to continue long after our core vets are gone.

The answer right now is Garrett.

Both harbaughs were lucky enough to step into situations with some of the leagues best D's.

I don't think either has the sort of success in Dallas as theyve had in Bal & SF.

Personally, I think a lot of the "talent" talk has been overblown in Dallas. We have the leagues best pass rusher, a top 10 QB, a top 10 TE, and a top 10 ILB. Other than that I dont see the over the top talent people seem to think we have.

13-3 had alot to do with that and that was all the way back in 07.

I think th continued use of that phrase shows just how lazy the media types have gotten.

Yeah, then the team gets judged based on the talent were supposed to have, rather than the talent we do have.

If Sapp really is or was a Cowboy fan he must have a CZ account. The guu sounds like half the folks that post over there.

I have over 4000 posts here and 77 in CZ. Tells you who Id rather be around.

Either they are overly homerific or almost Cowboys haters. I just dont get that place.

Id rather be told by Falcons, Saints, Panthers, or Bucs fans that my team sucks rather than hear it from fans of my team.

Edited by Enlightened32