Pat Ys Breakout Players

Atlanta running back Jacquizz Rodgers: He had a minimal impact as a rookie, but the normally-quiet Falcons have talked openly about Rodgers taking on a bigger role. Michael Turner still will be the main ball carrier, but the Falcons have said they want to limit his number of carries. That’s where Rodgers can fit in. He’s an entirely different type of runner than the powerful Turner. Rodgers is about speed and elusiveness, and new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will try to utilize those skills as he attempts to add more explosiveness to Atlanta’s attack. Rodgers is at his best when running on the outside. He also has pass-catching skills and can make things happen in the open field. That’s why it’s a virtual certainty the Falcons won’t finish last in the league in screen passes attempted like they did the past two years. Rodgers has the perfect skills to make things happen on screen passes.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but put me in the skeptic corner on Rodgers. I think he's at best a situational play RB and the problem with this is he's an automatic warning signal to defenses when he comes in.

Plus, I just don't think he's fast enough for such a little guy to excel in the NFL.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but put me in the skeptic corner on Rodgers. I think he's at best a situational play RB and the problem with this is he's an automatic warning signal to defenses when he comes in.

Plus, I just don't think he's fast enough for such a little guy to excel in the NFL.

Not necessarily, he can run between the tackles too. We saw a little of that last year. Would love to see some draw plays with Quizz too, would break the ankles of the LBs in open space.

This will only be truly effective when the primary two backs are equal threats to run or catch. Then the screen game will be much more effective. They don't have to be great, just Pierre Thomas, Peyton Hillis types. But imagine a trio of a Steven Jackson type, a Pierre Thomas type, and a Norwood/Taiwan Jones type. That would give a ton of versatility in the pass and run games. I think that's the direction they'll go.

I hope Jacquizz does great, and I'll be glad to see screens, but it's hard to make hay without breakaway speed at his size.