Something I Noticed About Matt Ryan...could Be A Major Revelation.

Ok so I went back and looked all the games over the course of the last 2 months. I noticed something very interesting. Ryan is holding back. Here's what I noticed:

1) He seems very timid at times. Even when he has good protection.

2) Most importantly He doesn't take chances. There were a number of times when the receiver was open but he for some reason did not throw the ball. It honestly look like he was unsure. Maybe he saw something I didn't but it looked like he was just unsure.

3). There were several times where he just let it go and he looked incredible.

Is it possible this guy just needs to mature?

I'll be honest I started having a little doubt but after watching these games again this guy is the real deal. I think he needs to take more chances and not worry about the interceptions, so what if he throws a couple more. Everybody learns more from failure than success. It's entirely possible MM had the chains on this guy.

We have a great but young QB.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he looked better in 2008 than in 2011, Smith and Co. coached the gunslinger out of him and replaced it with puss.

I wouldnt call him a puss. Behind that OL he deserves a medal of honor. If you had Baker, Reynolds, and Hawley covering your back you'd be more than timid. Not to mention your recievers dropping balls in the most crucial moments. I agree that the coaching was overly cautious and have handcuffed Matt since the 09 season.

Anyone who saw the Lions or Eagles games knows the kid is tough.

Guest TheIdowu

I believe he started over thinking and over-analyzing. As Aftermath mentioned, I believe this is in whole to Smith and MM coaching out of him whatever made him very good in 2008. Some of the things I see from him I did not see from him in college, unless I am just seeing what I want to see.

I think some of us already knew Matt was holding back somewhat. But why? Is it because it was coached in him to be overly cautious so as not to make mistakes or is he wary of dropies by his WRs?

Either way, he needs to shake the fear and throw the dang ball with more confidence like his first year as a starter.

I believe he started over thinking and over-analyzing. As Aftermath mentioned, I believe this is in whole to Smith and MM coaching out of him whatever made him very good in 2008. Some of the things I see from him I did not see from him in college, unless I am just seeing what I want to see.

That's exactly what I saw him over thinking and over analyzing. (I just couldn't come up with the words when I posted)

I wouldnt call him a puss. Behind that OL he deserves a medal of honor. If you had Baker, Reynolds, and Hawley covering your back you'd be more than timid. Not to mention your recievers dropping balls in the most crucial moments. I agree that the coaching was overly cautious and have handcuffed Matt since the 09 season.

not saying he is a puss, just saying its the way they coached him to play. Ball control, conservative, never make a mistake. The kid himself has big brass ones to be sure. I realized that when his ankle did a 180 and he came back the next play.

I keep hearing Ryan was more of a gunslinger in 2008 than 2011. I'm not totally sure about that.

2008 - 265/434, 61.1%, 3440 yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, 45 20+ yard receptions, 9 40+ yard receptions, 87.7 passer rating

2011 - 347/566, 61.3%, 4177 yards, 29 TDs, 12 INTs, 55 20+ yard receptions, 10 40+ yard receptions, 92.2 passer rating

His ypa was slightly higher in 2008 but I think that was probably because there was no TonyG to lock on in 2008, his receivers dropped a lot of deep balls and he had some overthrows n 2011.

i agree 110% man. his 1st year, he made some sick throws. even on ones he missed or that got picked-off, he had the vision to see them and the ballz to chuck it. NOBODY makes them all.

but the thing is, you gotta go for it sometimes. even if you miss on a deep one, the D has to respect the fact that you will throw it down there. even if matt sucks at deep throws, consistantly going for it loosens up the defence for the running game and short to intermediate passes.

Guest TheIdowu

I keep hearing Ryan was more of a gunslinger in 2008 than 2011. I'm not totally sure about that.

2008 - 265/434, 61.1%, 3440 yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, 45 20+ yard receptions, 9 40+ yard receptions, 87.7 passer rating

2011 - 347/566, 61.3%, 4177 yards, 29 TDs, 12 INTs, 55 20+ yard receptions, 10 40+ yard receptions, 92.2 passer rating

His ypa was slightly higher in 2008 but I think that was probably because there was no TonyG to lock on in 2008, his receivers dropped a lot of deep balls and he had some overthrows n 2011.

It is not so much about the stats, FFS1970, as it is his mentality and performance on the field of play. . .

+1. I don't understand how anyone could think he was better as a rookie. He has gotten better each year. His responsibilities have increased each year, etc. He helped carry this team down the stretch last season, in a way that he had never done before.

Matt needs to manuver out of the pocket because it Will colaspe. All of the good quaterbacks move out of the pocket when needed. It is called scrambling & then find the open receiver. Get rid of stupid No huddle. Think about it. If it was good would not all NFL teames use it every play..... Duh

It's not the stats. It's the play on the field. It's his ability to move in the pocket and still make plays down the field (which he did in 2008). It's the plays to move outside the pocket and still make plays down the field. Which he did in 2008. It's the ability to make plays with his legs when nothing else is there. It's the fighting for extra yards that he showed in 2008.

Matt needs to manuver out of the pocket because it Will colaspe. All of the good quaterbacks move out of the pocket when needed. It is called scrambling & then find the open receiver. Get rid of stupid No huddle. Think about it. If it was good would not all NFL teames use it every play..... Duh

No huddle stupid? Ok. I will just let you have your opinion on that. But just know that Matt Ryan's level of play in the no huddle is far superior to his level of play otherwise.

Giants have the worst o-line in all of football, but do you see Eli being a puss?

Mularkey's known for trying to make his QB's overthink. Koetter will simplify things.

I don't get it. So now Mularkey's playbook was too complicated when all I've been hearing is that it was too simple. Can I blame Mularkey for my eggs being overcooked this morning?

Edited by Mr. Right

Nice job the way twist around what he said to make it fit your slanted point of view.

So which is it? Was Mularkey's gameplan too simple or complicated? Seems like he's just a whipping boy for all the Falcons' failures when he was more instrumental to our W/L record the past 4 years than Ryan. If Mike Martz were our OC from day one, Ryan would be a shell shocked and out of the league.

so it's not so much the stats that prove he threw further down the field more successfully, its the idea that he didn;t throw down the field more successfully that has the real depth and weight in this argument. Ok, I think I understand.

It's not the stats. It's the play on the field. It's his ability to move in the pocket and still make plays down the field (which he did in 2008). It's the plays to move outside the pocket and still make plays down the field. Which he did in 2008. It's the ability to make plays with his legs when nothing else is there. It's the fighting for extra yards that he showed in 2008.

And he didn't show any of these things in 2011? OK.

And he didn't show any of these things in 2011? OK.

You and I had this discussion a couple days ago. I'm talking about the happy feet and such. He didn't have any of that stuff in 2008. He's had way too many of those happy feet and panic moments in the pocket in the years since. And overall he was more mobile in 2008. He didn't seem to be as clumsy when trying to run.