White Student Returns $1,000 Scholarship Intended For Black Students

LOL, I just don't get why he didn't just apply for the whites only scholarship?

Oh, that's right, that scholarship doesn't exist. That would be racist.

More funny than disturbing.

RIVERSIDE (CBS) —

A 17-year-old student at King High School in Riverside has returned a $1,000 scholarship intended for black students because he is white.

Jeffrey Warren and his father Rod returned the scholarship from the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club the night the teen was announced as the winner of the African-American student scholarship, according to the Riverside Press-Enterprise.

Jeffrey, who has a 4.25 cumulative grade-point average, applied for 27 scholarships and won three others in addition to the award from the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club, which only specified that African Americans were “encouraged to apply,” the newspaper reported. School counselors were informed that the scholarship was for black students.

The club intends to change the language on next year’s application to clarify who is eligible, according to the Press-Enterprise.

The returned scholarship was later awarded to an African-American girl at King High School.

Jeffrey plans to take his scholarships – two for $2,000 and another for $500 – to San Diego State University in the fall, where he will double major in English in Business, the paper reported.

Edit: I forgot the link...http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/06/11/white-student-returns-1000-scholarship-intended-for-black-students/

Edited by silentbob1272

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, as long as the

Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club isn't government run, they have a right to offer scholarships to whom they wish and there is no evidence they would have rescinded it had the guy wished to use it. In their own language they state black students are encouraged to apply, not that it is black only.

As for the white only not existing...really?

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHNY_enUS372US372&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=5&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=WHITE+ONLY+SCHOLARSHIPS

See no one wants a minority scholarship from an HBCU....

Some truth in what you say, I thought you were bs'ing....apologies

Caucasian Scholarships at an HBCU-A Best Bet

Maybe one of the best places to shop for a “minority” scholarship aimed at white males is through one of the public Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). The system of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) was established to provide African Americans with a viable place to secure a rightful college education, at a time when they were afforded the same legal rights to a higher education, but in many instances could find none. Now many HBCUs are scrambling to diversify—they have to, under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which clearly states that any institution that receives federal aid may not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed or sex. This means that public HBCUs must recruit students from all backgrounds.

If you read up on the minority and Affirmative Action issues, you might assume from various stats and editorial commentaries that white enrollment is on the increase at the HBCUs, but according to The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, this so-called trend is nothing more than hot air. HBCUs remain predominantly black. And even in cases where there are now scholarship incentives for whites, “white students usually opt to go elsewhere.”

A few state’s public HBCU systems have been involved in bitter and lengthy legal battles over the issue of segregation. Various decisions have forced quite a few predominantly black institutions to begin aggressively marketing “minority” scholarships to white students:

Some truth in what you say, I thought you were bs'ing....apologies

Caucasian Scholarships at an HBCU-A Best Bet

Maybe one of the best places to shop for a “minority” scholarship aimed at white males is through one of the public Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). The system of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) was established to provide African Americans with a viable place to secure a rightful college education, at a time when they were afforded the same legal rights to a higher education, but in many instances could find none. Now many HBCUs are scrambling to diversify—they have to, under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which clearly states that any institution that receives federal aid may not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed or sex. This means that public HBCUs must recruit students from all backgrounds.

If you read up on the minority and Affirmative Action issues, you might assume from various stats and editorial commentaries that white enrollment is on the increase at the HBCUs, but according to The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, this so-called trend is nothing more than hot air. HBCUs remain predominantly black. And even in cases where there are now scholarship incentives for whites, “white students usually opt to go elsewhere.”

A few state’s public HBCU systems have been involved in bitter and lengthy legal battles over the issue of segregation. Various decisions have forced quite a few predominantly black institutions to begin aggressively marketing “minority” scholarships to white students:

Had a few friends at NC A&T that had them for engineering.

Poor form to have to return that scholarship, but the need for minority-based scholarships are definitely there.

There's a need for impoverished-based scholarships. There are many students that qualify as minority but do not face financial hardship. Many are children of immigrants.

I really do think this country needs to completely REMOVE racial lines from all aspects of life, otherwise racial divides will always remain. Why should a rich minority be eligible for assistance before a poor majority?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't assist struggling minorities. I'm just saying we should remove the "minority" portion of that statement to greater assist those that are struggling.

There's a need for impoverished-based scholarships. There are many students that qualify as minority but do not face financial hardship. Many are children of immigrants.

I really do think this country needs to completely REMOVE racial lines from all aspects of life, otherwise racial divides will always remain. Why should a rich minority be eligible for assistance before a poor majority?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't assist struggling minorities. I'm just saying we should remove the "minority" portion of that statement to greater assist those that are struggling.

I feel the minority one is needed because even in cases where money isnt an issue, the past racial issues still create problems.

A black and white kid going to the same school wont exactly have the same experiences in terms of education. The black student has to overcome cultural bias against education,teacher bias(created by the media), peer standards(which create a lot of issues), and a society which tells them from day 1 they are substandard.

A white student will go through a lot of hardships during their educational career, but the two simply arent comparable.

I feel the minority one is needed because even in cases where money isnt an issue, the past racial issues still create problems.

A black and white kid going to the same school wont exactly have the same experiences in terms of education. The black student has to overcome cultural bias against education,teacher bias(created by the media), peer standards(which create a lot of issues), and a society which tells them from day 1 they are substandard.

A white student will go through a lot of hardships during their educational career, but the two simply arent comparable.

I agree with you 100%. However, a poor white person on scholarship faces a lot of difficulties due to cultural acceptance as well. It may not be exactly the same as a black student will face, but fitting in is difficult just the same. Whereas the black kid can find student societies and fraternal/sorority organizations to associate with others like them, I honestly don't know where the poor white kid on academic scholarship goes with no money and zero connections.

I agree with you 100%. However, a poor white person on scholarship faces a lot of difficulties due to cultural acceptance as well. It may not be exactly the same as a black student will face, but fitting in is difficult just the same. Whereas the black kid can find student societies and fraternal/sorority organizations to associate with others like them, I honestly don't know where the poor white kid on academic scholarship goes with no money and zero connections.

There is never a shortage of smart white people at said institutions. The kid will find an easier fit based on the simple fact that at most schools there are more white people.

A smart black kid will find rather quickly he is the anomaly no matter where he is due to the fact that minority culture in America is built around a regression to the mean.

There is never a shortage of smart white people at said institutions. The kid will find an easier fit based on the simple fact that at most schools there are more white people.

A smart black kid will find rather quickly he is the anomaly no matter where he is due to the fact that minority culture in America is built around a regression to the mean.

Again, I agree with you. I'm simply making the point that it's a lot harder to socialize with pocket lint instead of daddy's credit card to pay for non-academic pursuits.

There were a lot of black teachers at my school so it's difficult for me to relate to that comment. Our class president was black. I really didn't see the racial bias you are referring to in my school.

Your response does evade the actual point I was trying to make though. If we continue to put up racial divides, even with positive intentions, we will continue in this cycle of percieved racial inequalities. The only way to break away from that cycle is to stop accepting the things that separate us. Poor minorities committed to getting an education would have the same opportunity as poor white kids committed to their education.

Being poor has many of the same struggles you pointed out, I would argue that they are probably greater struggles than the color of a person's skin in today's world. I'm not trying to be insensitive to the struggles minorities have faced in this country. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective about helping those that need it, and not disqualifying anyone based on race/ethnicity.

Edit: My argument of being poor is a bigger struggle than the color of a person's skin. You can't convince me that Will Smith's or Snoop Dogg's or Jay Z's kids have a tougher life than a poor kid of any race, including white.

HBCU... It's not like that there. I was an electrical engineering major there. I meet plenty of smart black guys including myself.

Again, I agree with you. I'm simply making the point that it's a lot harder to socialize with pocket lint instead of daddy's credit card to pay for non-academic pursuits.

Agreed.

There were a lot of black teachers at my school so it's difficult for me to relate to that comment. Our class president was black. I really didn't see the racial bias you are referring to in my school.

Your response does evade the actual point I was trying to make though. If we continue to put up racial divides, even with positive intentions, we will continue in this cycle of percieved racial inequalities. The only way to break away from that cycle is to stop accepting the things that separate us. Poor minorities committed to getting an education would have the same opportunity as poor white kids committed to their education.

Being poor has many of the same struggles you pointed out, I would argue that they are probably greater struggles than the color of a person's skin in today's world. I'm not trying to be insensitive to the struggles minorities have faced in this country. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective about helping those that need it, and not disqualifying anyone based on race/ethnicity.

I agree with taking away the racial aspect of such things the second race is no longer a factor in the education one gets.

I dont think we can ignore something, and hope it goes away.

Actually, such a scholarship does exist. It's sponsored by the Aryan Fellowship. And no, I'm not joking.

I wouldn't doubt it, but ya got a link to it?

Btw, I think it's unfair to compare the Aryan Nation with the MLK Sr CC. I can't believe they could be as racist as the crazy Aryans

HBCU... It's not like that there. I was an electrical engineering major there. I meet plenty of smart black guys including myself.

I'm sure there are fair bit of smart black guys at HBCU's, but the regression of means plays its part there.

"Just 29 percent of HBCU males complete a bachelor's degree within six years"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29933480/ns/us_news-life/t/men-struggling-finish-black-colleges/#.T9atdNVPvZU

I noticed some time around middle school that many guys begin to intentionally dumb down themselves to attract females. I dont have any statistical data to back this up, but I am more than willing to bet that certain attributes are more attractive to certain groups of women, than to others.

I dont think we can ignore something, and hope it goes away.

We can't, because it doesn't. Whether you believe "racism" is a real or perceived problem, spending one day reading posts in this forum will conclude to a reasonable and non-objective individual that deep and unfounded prejudices pervade the decisions of many. Including hiring directors and people who can affect whether someone can be admitted.

An admissions counselor may be absolutely sincere in his/her belief that admitting a black student to a college that has had a history of intolerance would not be in the best interest of that student. Should it be at the whim of the counselor whether that kid should be permitted to attend when he/she may just be looking out for the best interests of the student and the student body? Isn't it best for everybody to avoid problems associated with the admission?

We can't, because it doesn't. Whether you believe "racism" is a real or perceived problem, spending one day reading posts in this forum will conclude to a reasonable and non-objective individual that deep and unfounded prejudices pervade the decisions of many. Including hiring directors and people who can affect whether someone can be admitted.

An admissions counselor may be absolutely sincere in his/her belief that admitting a black student to a college that has had a history of intolerance would not be in the best interest of that student. Should it be at the whim of the counselor whether that kid should be permitted to attend when he/she may just be looking out for the best interests of the student and the student body? Isn't it best for everybody to avoid problems associated with the admission?

That questions how much do some schools value a "Diverse" student body.

I feel college is such an important time in a persons life that being comfortable, while being taken somewhat out of a comfort zone, should be mandatory.