Mike Nolan's Blitzes

On this video, he sent 6 guys. Could not really tell if the Titan receivers were open or not, but it was effective and Miami's guys made some good plays.

The only guys open were the two recievers crossing underneath and they weren't that open. It would of been hard for any QB to get the ball out that quick and accurate. The play is designed to make the QB get the ball out quick for little gain or for him to even make a mistake.

Again, another great disguised blitz on 3rd down. Good coverage by the secondary and linebackers along with great pressure by the blitzers. Cannot wait to see our playmakers finally get put into positions to make those type of plays.

Yeah I can't wait either I'm very excited. It's just funny how some people are like we will see BVG had out defense good. Really? Prevent defense? They have no idea.

The only guys open were the two recievers crossing underneath and they weren't that open. It would of been hard for any QB to get the ball out that quick and accurate. The play is designed to make the QB get the ball out quick for little gain or for him to even make a mistake.

I think our D will take a big step this year. Despite an consistent pass rush, being terrible on 3rd down, and having problems with the Slot CB and MLB in coverage, the Falcons were still the 12th ranked overall defense in the league. That is saying a lot. We have the talent, just needed a couple of pieces, Asante and Nolan. Would have liked to keep Lofton, but I like the lineup we have now. Tatupu and Dent will get the job done.

Anybody else notice that these blitzes (blitzes 2 and 3 at least) took place on third down? I think that will be the biggest difference on our defense this year. Sure, we will give up some plays, but be will make many more too. 3rd down D will become our strength. Bout **** time

Anybody else notice that these blitzes (blitzes 2 and 3 at least) took place on third down? I think that will be the biggest difference on our defense this year. Sure, we will give up some plays, but be will make many more too. 3rd down D will become our strength. Bout **** time

Yeah dude. I referenced that in one of the videos. 3rd down was a weakness and he disguised those blitzes very well. The opponent's offense did not know where the pressure was coming from. I cannot wait.

Edited by Falcon Fantom

Good point about the disguising of blitzes. I think one of the bigger misconseptions about BVG was that he didn't blitz. Well he did, quite often actually. The problem was that every time we were blitzing the offense would see it coming. I saw it coming from my tv at home. What else would you expect if you see Lofton walking his happy *** up to the line?

Good point about the disguising of blitzes. I think one of the bigger misconseptions about BVG was that he didn't blitz. Well he did, quite often actually. The problem was that every time we were blitzing the offense would see it coming. I saw it coming from my tv at home. What else would you expect if you see Lofton walking his happy *** up to the line?

Would you be referring to the 'Green Bay Defense' where it's a 3-3-5 and sometimes one of the D-linemen drop into coverage?

My favorite was when BVG would actually dial up a successful blitz and a guy would come free and completely miss and whif on the QB.... those really hurt.

I agree he did blitz but he also played a lot if soft zone defense with the middle open. BVG doesn't even comparing to Nolan.

Would you be referring to the 'Green Bay Defense' where it's a 3-3-5 and sometimes one of the D-linemen drop into coverage?

My favorite was when BVG would actually dial up a successful blitz and a guy would come free and completely miss and whif on the QB.... those really hurt.

I was just saying that in general we did have some tendencies that would show our hand to the opposing offenses. Aside from the fact that we always blitzed the same guys, BVG never taught his players to disguise their intentions on the play. We actually did drop some Dlineman in coverage, mostly Abe and Biermann, but BVG being the genius that he is would have them play man instead of zone. Probably one of the stupider things you can do.

I was just saying that in general we did have some tendencies that would show our hand to the opposing offenses. Aside from the fact that we always blitzed the same guys, BVG never taught his players to disguise their intentions on the play. We actually did drop some Dlineman in coverage, mostly Abe and Biermann, but BVG being the genius that he is would have them play man instead of zone. Probably one of the stupider things you can do.

Seems like we had tendencies that the opposing team would pick up on frequently. In fact that was the problem on offense also. I know with the opposing team having game film that tendencies being discovered is inevitable, but geez louise. With all the handicaps that we did have, (MM, BVG, non consistent pass rush, bad slot CB, and bad o-line play) we still had the 10th overall offense and 12th overall defense. Imagine how it will be with better coaching that will put the playmakers in better position to make plays on both sides of the ball.

Oh I agree 100 %.

We never disguised anything and yeah it was like we always did the same thing over and over

nh31533002.jpg

When we were dropping lineman in coverage they would almost always be responsible for a man and not a zone. There was a red zone td this year where Kroy had the te in man but couldn't cover him. Not sure which game though.

That was Peyton Hills not a TE. I think on that play Beirmann was covering the flats. Also was that not 2 years ago?

That was Peyton Hills not a TE. I think on that play Beirmann was covering the flats. Also was that not 2 years ago?

So would you feel better if he was responsible for Demarco Murray as opposed to Jason Witten.

No way he had flats, if I remember correctly that was a 20+ yard pass similar to the one we ran with Quizz this year.

So what if it was from 2 years ago? Does that mean we stopped running that type of play all of a sudden. Only posted that picture because I couldn't remember what game the play I was referring to happened in. Still illustrates my point just fine.

It was a fire zone concept. DE fakes the rush and drops into a hook zone or the flat. Peyton ran what looked to be a wheel route, and Hillis was the only player remotely close to him. Unlike Madden, when you don't have anyone else to cover and you have situational awareness about yourself, you go look for work. That wasn't man coverage, it was Biermann realizing Hillis was turning up field and being late to the punch.

Edited by Free Radical