The Best Of 2012?

Another member of the NFL media has chimed in on the Falcons and their chances for a title in 2012. Bucky Brooks thinks the Falcons offseason moves have retooled an offense that looks scary. According to him, NFC defenses have plenty to be concerned about heading into the new season.

NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks thinks the Falcons have a shot at beingthe best offense in the NFC next season.

Brooks believes the addition of offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will help transform Atlanta’s offense into a more efficient machine, taking some of the things they’ve done well in the past and mixing it with a few key additions, specifically a screen-passing game.

Koetter’s presence in Atlanta means quarterback Matt Ryan will be able to utilize play-action and two-back sets, two types of offensive attacks that will work to Ryan’s strengths as an accurate passer and a quarterback that takes care of the ball. Brooks sees an Atlanta offense with a lot of playmakers, Julio Jones, Roddy White and Harry Douglas to name a few, and believes Koetter will work to free up those players with the ball in their hands.

White and Jones are of particular interest to Brooks. He thinks both receivers will be able to run routes that utilize their strength and quickness. Quick passes could be Atlanta’s specialty, letting Matt Ryan hit the two receivers on the move and allowing them to do what they do best: run with the ball in their hands and make people miss.

It’s already been established that Atlanta will have a screen game in 2012 and will use it much more than they have in recent seasons. All of Atlanta’s offensive weapons will be involved in it, but second-year running back Jacquizz Rodgers perhaps has the most to gain from the addition. Brooks points out Koetter’s effective use of a two-back system in Jacksonville in the past and thinks Michael Turner and Rodgers make a similar tandem to what the coordinator had in Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew.

Turner will be the hard-charging back, battering offenses with his heavy-load style of running. Rodgers will obviously represent a change-of-pace element, but he could also be used heavily in the screen game. Rodgers caught 21 passes last season, one for a touchdown. That total will probably go up in 2012 and with Turner keeping defenses honest in their respect for the Falcons’ running game, Rodgers can break teams with his ability on the edges as a pass catcher out of the backfield.

Finally Brooks anticipates an improved offensive line under the direction of new line coach Pat Hill. The former Fresno State head coach has come to Atlanta andimmediately stressed a fundamental style of offensive line play. Brooks thinks Hill will not only make the Falcons’ offensive line more fundamentally sound but will help re-establish them as a dominant line that out-works the opponent.

He points to Atlanta’s playoff loss to the Giants and two plays in particular when the offensive line failed to give Ryan and the offense what they needed to convert short-yardage fourth downs. A beefed-up line combined with Hill’s sound coaching could help Atlanta correct those flaws quickly.

“On both plays, the offensive line failed to generate enough push for Ryan to gain a yard on a quarterback sneak, and the failures highlighted the Falcons’ lack of toughness up front,” Brooks wrote. “The arrival of Hill should rectify that problem and allow the Falcons to pound opponents with a smash-mouth ground attack.”

Atlanta may have found just the right mix with new blood through the coaching changes and draft pick additions and the weapons in place to finally see a return in the investment that has been made all over the offense. If Brooks is right, the Falcons’ offense could be more high-flying than ever and in the modern era of NFL football where scoring reigns supreme, things could be very promising for the upcoming season.

One of the bolded statements referring to the 2 back sets is in response to another poster, forget the name. The poster was arguing the fact MM was predictable because of the personnel brought onto the field. They further added that this year under Koetter will be no different because Turner cannot catch and teams will know when we are calling screens because of the substitution of Quizz for Turner. The 2 back sets should eliminate that aspect of predictability.

Edited by Falcon Fantom

Guest Negatorris

Turner isn't Larry Fitzgerlad, but the misconception that we cannot use him in the screen game will shock many other teams once he busts about 20 yards on the defense,

Turner isn't Larry Fitzgerlad, but the misconception that we cannot use him in the screen game will shock many other teams once he busts about 20 yards on the defense,

I think those 2 back sets will be deadly. I would love to see Snelling in there as well. The Falcons were #10 in the regular season overall offensive standings. That is with terrible O-line play, Roddy having bricks for hands, Ryan playing scared because of sacks, and the lack of touches because the defense could not get off the feild. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the predictable play calling of our former offensive coordinator. Add all that up and the birds were still 10th in the league in overall offense. That means we have a lot of talent. Koetter must be getting a woody every time he looks at game film.

Look, I think only the most homerlicious fan could really think that Dirk Koetter and Pat Hill were the key missing elements for the Falcons to make a Super Bowl run.

That being said, there was really only one thing wrong with the Falcons offense last year. They couldn't pick up ONE tough yard when they needed it.

If Koetter and Hill can fix that, then maybe the Falcons are on thier way.

Look, I think only the most homerlicious fan could really think that Dirk Koetter and Pat Hill were the key missing elements for the Falcons to make a Super Bowl run.

That being said, there was really only one thing wrong with the Falcons offense last year. They couldn't pick up ONE tough yard when they needed it.

If Koetter and Hill can fix that, then maybe the Falcons are on thier way.

Lol if you didn't think MM and BVGs schemes needed to go there is no help for you. They were fine for a young team, but we out grew them. Now with new era NFL schemes we should compete a lot better with the big boys. I agree O-line has to play better. Hill didn't come in to make them better, but we are switching schemes somewhat, The O-line will be better though.

Lol if you didn't think MM and BVGs schemes needed to go there is no help for you. They were fine for a young team, but we out grew them. Now with new era NFL schemes we should compete a lot better with the big boys. I agree O-line has to play better. Hill didn't come in to make them better, but we are switching schemes somewhat, The O-line will be better though.

This article was about the offense. Nolan is an upgrade at DC, but probably not as much of an upgrade as everyone thinks. Nolan is solid, he's no mad genius or anything.

I do not think that Koetter is an upgrade over Mularkey, Mularkey's track record in this league blows Koetter's away, but maybe this is where Koetter makes his mark. He's got the weapons, that's for sure.

We'll see what happens.

This article was about the offense. Nolan is an upgrade at DC, but probably not as much of an upgrade as everyone thinks. Nolan is solid, he's no mad genius or anything.

I do not think that Koetter is an upgrade over Mularkey, Mularkey's track record in this league blows Koetter's away, but maybe this is where Koetter makes his mark. He's got the weapons, that's for sure.

We'll see what happens.

Ok I thought you meant MM was the man. Yeah who really knows about Kotter yet I agree. But just his schemes and things I've read I like. Your right though who knows yet. I would have took the water boy over MM not that he sucks but his style of smash mouth doesn't win as much unless your defense is the best. Even then I prefer a better offensive game less predictable and more of an attack mode. As far as Nolan he's a huge upgrade over BVG. We will be a top 10 D for sure. BVG did some good things, but did some bone head things as well.

Ok I thought you meant MM was the man. Yeah who really knows about Kotter yet I agree. But just his schemes and things I've read I like. Your right though who knows yet. I would have took the water boy over MM not that he sucks but his style of smash mouth doesn't win as much unless your defense is the best. Even then I prefer a better offensive game less predictable and more of an attack mode. As far as Nolan he's a huge upgrade over BVG. We will be a top 10 D for sure. BVG did some good things, but did some bone head things as well.

The main point I was making - I think people forget, but the playoff game really turned on two 4th and 1 plays that the Falcons didn't get, while the Giants ran it on 4th and 1 and did get it.

Obviously it's all about the playoffs. Hopefully the Falcons can get that 1 yard on 4th down next time.

Or even better yet, maybe the players can not get tackled a yard short on 3rd. That works too.

The main point I was making - I think people forget, but the playoff game really turned on two 4th and 1 plays that the Falcons didn't get, while the Giants ran it on 4th and 1 and did get it.

Obviously it's all about the playoffs. Hopefully the Falcons can get that 1 yard on 4th down next time.

Or even better yet, maybe the players can not get tackled a yard short on 3rd. That works too.

Yeah I hear you the 1 yard or 1 inch isn't scheme it's about the o-line/FB/RB getting that push and heart. Gotta fight for it. What I mean is on O look how good we have been at times even being vanilla and predictable. That's due to talent etc. So just think what if we got a creative/ good play caller at OC. Then what? I think we could have a really nice offense then.