Breaking Down Matt Ryan's Incomplete Passes

Here is the breakdown of Matt Ryan's incomplete passes in 2011 using the Stats website.

MATT RYAN

Passes Attempted - 566

Passes Completed - 347

Incomplete Passes - 219

Passes Dropped - 34 (15.5%)

Poor Throw - 82 (37.4%)

Passes Defensed - 58 (26.5%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 8 (3.7%)

Other - 25 (11.4%)

Intercepted - 12 (5.5%)

AARON RODGERS

Passes Attempted - 502

Passes Completed - 343

Incomplete Passes - 159

Passes Dropped - 29 (18.2%)

Poor Throw - 71 (44.7%)

Passes Defensed - 33 (20.8%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 5 (3.1%)

Other - 15 (9.4%)

Intercepted - 6 (3.8%)

TOM BRADY

Passes Attempted - 611

Passes Completed - 401

Incomplete Passes - 210

Passes Dropped - 22 (10.5%)

Poor Throw - 107 (51.0%)

Passes Defensed - 50 (23.8%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 7 (3.3%)

Other - 12 (5.7%)

Intercepted - 12 (5.7%)

DREW BREES

Passes Attempted - 657

Passes Completed - 468

Incomplete Passes - 189

Passes Dropped - 26 (13.8%)

Poor Throw - 61 (32.3%)

Passes Defensed - 71 (37.6%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 7 (3.7%)

Other - 10 (5.3%)

Intercepted - 14 (7.4%)

Pretty much everyone considers Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Drew Brees to be the 3 best QBs in the NFL. Can't put Peyton Manning in there since he didn't play last season.I want to focus on what Stats has classified as poor throws. Here is how those 3 compare to Ryan ranked from best to worst.

1. Drew Brees - 61 (32.3%)

2. Matt Ryan - 82 (37.4%)

3. Aaron Rodgers - 71 (44.7%)

4. Tom Brady - 107 (51.0%)

So according to that a higher number of Rodgers and Brady's incomplete passes are due to poor throws. Over half of Brady's incompletions are poor throws.

Here is how they rank from getting the most help from their receivers to the worst help from their receivers.

1. Tom Brady - 22 (10.5%)

2. Drew Brees - 26 (13.8%)

3. Matt Ryan - 34 (15.5%)

4. Aaron Rodgers - 29 (18.2%)

Take from this what you will but just thought it was interesting.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/findplayer.asp?type=position&position=8

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the breakdown of Matt Ryan's incomplete passes in 2011 using the Stats website.

MATT RYAN

Passes Attempted - 566

Passes Completed - 347

Incomplete Passes - 219

Passes Dropped - 34 (15.5%)

Poor Throw - 82 (37.4%)

Passes Defensed - 58 (26.5%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 8 (3.7%)

Other - 25 (11.4%)

Intercepted - 12 (5.5%)

AARON RODGERS

Passes Attempted - 502

Passes Completed - 343

Incomplete Passes - 159

Passes Dropped - 29 (18.2%)

Poor Throw - 71 (44.7%)

Passes Defensed - 33 (20.8%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 5 (3.1%)

Other - 15 (9.4%)

Intercepted - 6 (3.8%)

TOM BRADY

Passes Attempted - 611

Passes Completed - 401

Incomplete Passes - 210

Passes Dropped - 22 (10.5%)

Poor Throw - 107 (51.0%)

Passes Defensed - 50 (23.8%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 7 (3.3%)

Other - 12 (5.7%)

Intercepted - 12 (5.7%)

DREW BREES

Passes Attempted - 657

Passes Completed - 468

Incomplete Passes - 189

Passes Dropped - 26 (13.8%)

Poor Throw - 61 (32.3%)

Passes Defensed - 71 (37.6%)

Passes Hit at LOS - 7 (3.7%)

Other - 10 (5.3%)

Intercepted - 14 (7.4%)

Pretty much everyone considers Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Drew Brees to be the 3 best QBs in the NFL. Can't put Peyton Manning in there since he didn't play last season.I want to focus on what Stats has classified as poor throws. Here is how those 3 compare to Ryan ranked from best to worst.

1. Drew Brees - 61 (32.3%)

2. Matt Ryan - 82 (37.4%)

3. Aaron Rodgers - 71 (44.7%)

4. Tom Brady - 107 (51.0%)

So according to that a higher number of Rodgers and Brady's incomplete passes are due to poor throws. Over half of Brady's incompletions are poor throws.

Here is how they rank from getting the most help from their receivers to the worst help from their receivers.

1. Tom Brady - 22 (10.5%)

2. Drew Brees - 26 (13.8%)

3. Matt Ryan - 34 (15.5%)

4. Aaron Rodgers - 29 (18.2%)

Take from this what you will but just thought it was interesting.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/findplayer.asp?type=position&position=8

These stats indicate that the elite QBs have a minimum of 65% completion rate.

And it seems that Matt had a high amount of incompletions in the "other" category. I have to assume that these are throw-aways

Ryan is averaging 1.56 throw-aways a game. These throw-aways seem to be killing his completion percentage because he is close in every other category.

(Other )Drew Brees- 0.625

(Other) Tom Brady-0.75

(Other )Aaron Rodgers-0.937

(Other) Matt Ryan-1.562

Edited by ChessPlayer1

Couple of things to note:

1. His 2011 Interception rate per total attempts appears to be pretty elite. Seems like <6% moves you into the "best" tier.

2. 15.5% from Dropped Passes? Are you kidding me? I knew we dropped alot of passes, but that is just rediculous. Aren't 15 of those from Roddy alone?

3. Like others stated, I'd like to know where throw away balls counted. I'm thinking the "other" catagory, and in that case, wow. I think htere is probably a direct relationship between our O-line play, and that stat catagory.

Why are you always hating on him? 2nd post I've looked at today with you saying something negative about Ryan. Since you got the Nfl int leader as your name I can only assume you are a hating *** cheese head fan

Because she is a loser who desperately needs attention

Yoo.. We know Rodgers is above Matt Ryan right now.. RODGERS is in the TOP 2... Im just looking for Ryan to improve into the top 5 category aka elite group...

But i feel like Throwing up "Rodgers do this or that" just stupid to me... We all know Rodgers is one of the top QB's.. Also Rodgers offense is built totally different.... Turner had nearly double the yards of their top RB (so the ball id out of the QB's hand) ... Plus in greenbay offense we've seen Made Flynn like the next great QB... They are built to put of rediculous numbers (The power of a great OC)

Thats not a knock on Rodgers.. Like a said he is top 2 but that system is built to make their QB's numbers BIG...

I dont think the OP is trying to say Ryan is better then Rodgers or Brees right now... Dude is comparing his stats from those showing he thinks Ryan is some what getting to that level.... We will see this year.

These stats indicate that the elite QBs have a minimum of 65% completion rate.

And it seems that Matt had a high amount of incompletions in the "other" category. I have to assume that these are throw-aways

Ryan is averaging 1.56 throw-aways a game. These throw-aways seem to be killing his completion percentage because he is close in every other category.

(Other )Drew Brees- 0.625

(Other) Tom Brady-0.75

(Other )Aaron Rodgers-0.937

(Other) Matt Ryan-1.562

I think the throwaways were listed under Other. Which is just way too high a number. Hopefully with an improved OL he could cut that number at least in half.

How many of Ryan's "poor" throws were throw away passes since he is one to throw away the ball on busted plays

Throwaways are listed under Other I think.

Yoo.. We know Rodgers is above Matt Ryan right now.. RODGERS is in the TOP 2... Im just looking for Ryan to improve into the top 5 category aka elite group...

But i feel like Throwing up "Rodgers do this or that" just stupid to me... We all know Rodgers is one of the top QB's.. Also Rodgers offense is built totally different.... Turner had nearly double the yards of their top RB (so the ball id out of the QB's hand) ... Plus in greenbay offense we've seen Made Flynn like the next great QB... They are built to put of rediculous numbers (The power of a great OC)

Thats not a knock on Rodgers.. Like a said he is top 2 but that system is built to make their QB's numbers BIG...

I dont think the OP is trying to say Ryan is better then Rodgers or Brees right now... Dude is comparing his stats from those showing he thinks Ryan is some what getting to that level.... We will see this year.

I was just trying to point out that Ryan probably isn't as far away from being at the level we want him to be.

I think the throwaways were listed under Other. Which is just way too high a number. Hopefully with an improved OL he could cut that number at least in half.

Only a few of Ryan's throwaways were due to poor blocking. Most of them were because of horrible play design that would have him bootleg to 1 side of the field with only 1 receiver as an option.

Good post. I think it shows he's closer than maybe he looks (to me). I think Muskoka brings up a good point...that it's not so much mistakes Ryan makes as it is he needs to be making more plays.

I would think that means he needs to be throwing more 15 yard passes instead of 5 yard passes.

However, when you combine this with the stat that says Ryan had more air yards than other QBs (meaning his passes went further in the air) it seems to imply that he was pushing it downfield, and the receivers simply didn't have room to run (curls, flats). Does anyone have the stats for air yards? If he is making no more mistakes than other QBs, and is throwing further than them, and the stats are still inferior, it starts feeling like route combo issues.