15 Of 60 On Passes 20 Yds Or More - Matt Ryan

Thats 25% completion. Peyton manning was just quoted as saying 1 out of 5 is good deep but thats 20%, maybe he meant 1 out of 4. that ranked Ryan 19th of 32 so below average. As well as Jones tracks the deep ball and given that Ryan is focusing on that this off season, I expect him to be much better. Funny thing is, Ryan ranked in top ten in completions over 20 yds and over 40 yds too. I dont think he has that far to go in his development there. 2012 could be a breakout year for him just by mastering the danger of hurting an over-zealous defense with the screen and gashing them deep. If Ryan proves efficient deep to the point that defenses start respecting the potential to hurt them deep, we can burn them with Ryans bread and butter. We just cant have people thinking we cant hurt them consistantly deep and sitting on the underneath stuff. I think that was a big problem last year.

Thats 25% completion. Peyton manning was just quoted as saying 1 out of 5 is good deep but thats 20%, maybe he meant 1 out of 4. that ranked Ryan 19th of 32 so below average. As well as Jones tracks the deep ball and given that Ryan is focusing on that this off season, I expect him to be much better. Funny thing is, Ryan ranked in top ten in completions over 20 yds and over 40 yds too. I dont think he has that far to go in his development there. 2012 could be a breakout year for him just by mastering the danger of hurting an over-zealous defense with the screen and gashing them deep. If Ryan proves efficient deep to the point that defenses start respecting the potential to hurt them deep, we can burn them with Ryans bread and butter. We just cant have people thinking we cant hurt them consistantly deep and sitting on the underneath stuff. I think that was a big problem last year.

I think we are done here

Edited by Spooon

If the OLine improves like we expect I'd think Ryan can get around to 33-35% on passed going 20 YIA.

20+ YIA throws are a lot like 3 Points in basketball a % above 40 is elite, around 40% is great and right below it is good, around 30% is average and under 30% is below average.

Of course a lot more moving parts have to be accounted for in football like the WR, Protection, Extra Safety Help, PI on an incomplete pass and stuff like that.

I don't understand why opposing defenses continue to attack the line of scrimmage if 55 passes of 20+ yards in such an impressive statistic. What are they not afraid of?

They're not afraid of the 3rd receiver, 4th receiver, or RB out of the backfield. If you just have 2 WRs to cover and a TE who doesn't run past 9 yards...that's easy with your secondary...why not send more at the OL? I definitely would as a DC. That's why it's critical to have guys (2nd TE's, backs who catch, 3 WRs) who strain secondaries and make defenses concerned.

2WR 1 TE is the offense that defenses have had to defend for 40 years. They all know how to do that, and they just send the rest. Very frustrating.

If the OLine improves like we expect I'd think Ryan can get around to 33-35% on passed going 20 YIA.

20+ YIA throws are a lot like 3 Points in basketball a % above 40 is elite, around 40% is great and right below it is good, around 30% is average and under 30% is below average.

Of course a lot more moving parts have to be accounted for in football like the WR, Protection, Extra Safety Help, PI on an incomplete pass and stuff like that.

I mostly agree...though I'd say an offense that relies on Ryan to be great on the deep pass isn't a smart design. Brady completed one pass over 30 yards all last season. The key is having guys open and running in the mid distances, and throwing it up to Julio occasionally.

It's like you say...it's much like 3 pointers...and if you have a guy who's not a very good 3 point shooter...but good at the rest, you design picks, rolls, double back passes, so he can penetrate, dish, jumpshot. He only shoots enough 3's to keep the D honest. That's how they should design for Ryan. Screens, 4 wide option routes, backs running wheels, drag routes, rolled pockets. Throw deep often enough to keep the D honest (and throw it up in play and let your big WRs bring it down).

You can be 60 for 60. If you don't win the game, nothing matters. Let's just try to leave it at that. It's one thing to throw a few bad passes, but how many of those were intercepted? How many were drops? How many were deflected? Pass Interference? Someone has it in their sig. There are three kinds of lies: Statistics are one of them.

Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

1 or 4?

Hate to say this folks,

But that's better than most of the objective posters here would have guessed.

I don't understand why opposing defenses continue to attack the line of scrimmage if 55 passes of 20+ yards in such an impressive statistic. What were they not afraid of?

Corrected.

Answer: one of the weakest pass blocking OL's still looking for an effective LT, an aging, slowing RB with little or no lateral movement to avoid tackles, and a former OC too stubbornly entrenched with archaic offensive football to maneuver around this.

Believe me, that extra .05 to one full second is the difference between a well and precisely thrown spiral and the contrary. Hopefully this will be in part or in whole address this coming year so we can judge Matt accordingly.

Corrected.

Answer: one of the weakest pass blocking OL's still looking for an effective LT, an aging, slowing RB with little or no lateral movement to avoid tackles, and a former OC too stubbornly entrenched with archaic offensive football to maneuver around this.

Believe me, that extra .05 to one full second is the difference between a well and precisely thrown spiral and the contrary. Hopefully this will be in part or in whole address this coming year so we can judge Matt accordingly.

LOLOL....NOT....Ryan had career high passing yards....LOLOL...

it can't be passes that traveled 20 yards in the air. given that the field is 53 yards wide a wr screen can easily cover 20 yards in the air. a ten yard out, thrown from the pocket, easily goes 30-40 yards in the air. if it was air distance it would be way more then 60 passes.

Or maybe mannings idea of a deep pass is a bit more than 20 yards? Was manning quoted as saying 20+ yd passes or deep passes? If its the latter id assume Hes talking at least 35 yds.

it can't be passes that traveled 20 yards in the air. given that the field is 53 yards wide a wr screen can easily cover 20 yards in the air. a ten yard out, thrown from the pocket, easily goes 30-40 yards in the air. if it was air distance it would be way more then 60 passes.

Usually it's talking about yards past the line of scrimmage in the air. Not actual yards thrown...but yards past the line of scrimmage that the WR caught the ball. That way a 50 yard pass in the air is treated differently than a 2 yard pass and a 48 yard run after the catch.

good is middle of the road, kid. great is top 10, elite is top 5.