Army Bases Named After Confederate Generals Should Their Name Be Changed

Brehus

Army bases named after Confederate Generals  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name of Army bases named after Confederate Generals be changed

• Yes
    • No

Ft Benning is named after General Henry Lewis Benning

Ft Polk is named after General Leonidas Polk

Ft Stewart is named after General Alexander Peter Stewart

Ft Lee is named after General Robert E Lee

Ft Jackson is named after General Stonewall Jackson

Ft Gordon is named after General George Washington Gordon

Edited by Brehus

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah because seceding from the union because of incredibly racist and bigoted reasons is not racist at all . rolleyes.gif

The confederacy was the beacon of racism.

Give up your license before your daydreaming gets someone killed. Do you have any idea why the South seceded? No! What about the percentage of Southerners who owned slaves? No!

Maybe, just maybe you're aware the North was and is still highly segregated, but I doubt it, smh

Guest TheIdowu

People who equate the Confederacy with racism should lose their drivers license...they're dangerous people

I have never, and will never, understand why people relate the Confederacy to racism. If they are going to that, they may as well relate the Union to racism as well. I mean, the same "man" that served in the Union was no different than the "man" that served in the Confederacy, right? Well, how is one predicated on racism and the other is not? I do not understand that . . . . . .

Give up your license before your daydreaming gets someone killed. Do you have any idea why the South seceded? No! What about the percentage of Southerners who owned slaves? No!

Maybe, just maybe you're aware the North was and is still highly segregated, but I doubt it, smh

Have you ever read the "Causes for Secession"? I think you should. Every state that wrote such a document said slavery was the reason. You seem terribly uninformed on this topic.

There is a new thing called the internet. You should use it and educate yourself.

I have never, and will never, understand why people relate the Confederacy to racism. If they are going to that, they may as well relate the Union to racism as well. I mean, the same "man" that served in the Union was no different than the "man" that served in the Confederacy, right? Well, how is one predicated on racism and the other is not? I do not understand that . . . . . .

The difference is that racism and slavery were the cornerstone for the Confederate government. That's not my claim...they were proud of it.

The difference is that racism and slavery were the cornerstone for the Confederate government. That's not my claim...they were proud of it.

True, it was just a hobby in the North. You know that segregation and suffrage based on color is still racism, right?

It's like arguing what form of murder is most humane...

True, it was just a hobby in the North. You know that segregation and suffrage based on color is still racism, right?

It's like arguing what form of murder is most humane...

To hold someone as a slave and to be a racist person are two completely different things.

Not like two different kinds of murder. Completely different things.

To hold someone as a slave and to be a racist person are two completely different things.

Totally different things!

I mean, in one, you literally own the person. In the other, you just think they're less worthy than you.

The south seceded for a number of reasons but the numero uno reason was they wanted to keep slaves. It is not the ONLY reason but it was by far the biggest.

I know MOST southerners did not own slaves because they were too poor.

I also know there is a MASSIVE difference between being being segregated and being a slave.

you know the whole being owned and, having your entire family enslaved.Yeah that is a slight difference then saying blacks and whites can not eat together,

The south seceded for a number of reasons but the numero uno reason was they wanted to keep slaves. It is not the ONLY reason but it was by far the biggest.

I know MOST southerners did not own slaves because they were too poor.

I also know there is a MASSIVE difference between being being segregated and being a slave.

you know the whole being owned and, having your entire family enslaved.Yeah that is a slight difference then saying blacks and whites can not eat together,

Slavery was racist. Segregation was racist. If you want to take the moral high ground that you draw the line at slavery being too racist, go for it.

Edited by kicker

Slavery was racist. Segregation was racist. If you want to take the moral high ground that you draw the line at slavery being too racist, go for it.

You have got to be joking with this line of reasoning you are pursuing right now. You are putting on right? Cause you can't be serious with it.

Are there laws in place that are keeping the north segregated?

Have you ever read the "Causes for Secession"? I think you should. Every state that wrote such a document said slavery was the reason. You seem terribly uninformed on this topic.

There is a new thing called the internet. You should use it and educate yourself.

Big difference in citing slavery as one of the examples of the Federal government's infringement on state's right and it being the "reason" as you so ignorantly claim.