Five Things I Learned Reading These Forums **2012 Edition**

cooperbh

1) Winning an NFL playoff game is one of the single greatest achievements in sports. You can keep your four straight winning seasons and perennial playoff berths. Any ol’ NFL franchise can sustain success over an extended period of time. It takes a truly special organization to win one game in the postseason. Just ask the 7-9 2010 Seahawks or the 8-8 2011 Broncos. My, what monumental accomplishments those playoff victories were. Right up there with the legendary Wild Card round feats of the '82 Jets. Or the '85 Browns. Or the '91 Lions. Who could ever forget those fabled teams? (I’m pretty sure they all won trophies for those wins, BTW.) Oh, to return to the glory days of the illustrious Glanville era, when we could eke out a win in the postseason...

2) Speaking of the postseason, the Falcons offense was shut out in the 2011 playoffs because TD opted to draft Julio Jones over the scores of available offensive line prospects who failed to make even the slightest impact for the teams that actually drafted them. Ben Ijalana, Rodney Hudson, David Arkin... what might have been had only we held on to that 2nd and 4th.

3) It can never hurt to fill out the roster with geriatric former Pro Bowlers who can no longer play. Who needs developmental prospects and special teams players, anyway? I'll take a name standing on the sideline grooming somebody over a "contributing" player any day. Just make sure you pay the wash outs in question that magical salary cap-saving "vet minimum" and you're all set (Don't get too hung up on the fact that a 10-year veteran's minimum salary is three times that of a rookie and over twice that of a second or third year player. Just backload the contract or something.)

4) You don't judge a GM by the number of games his team wins. Even the worst NFL general managers will blindly luck their way into 43 wins in four seasons with regularity. No, you judge him by the number of players you liked coming out of college that he has or hasn't acquired. Perspective.

5) Any offensive lineman who is at least 6’5” tall and weighs at least 320 pounds has Pro Bowl talent. Same goes for DTs. I really don’t need to know anything more about such a player to confidently say, “Bring him home.”

Post 'em.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned that since Peyton Manning struggled in playoffs and Drew Brees didn't win a playoff game to his 6th season .. Matt Ryan is destined for there type of careers

I've learned that Mike Mularkey was only reason for our offensive woes

Our oline which graded out " holding there own" in NYG playoff game was the other reason but only allowed 2 sacks and 9 pressures

I've learned Foxworth trade was a great trade when Foxworth played how many games for us but a brilliant move by TD

I've learned that since Peyton Manning struggled in playoffs and Drew Brees didn't win a playoff game to his 6th season .. Matt Ryan is destined for there type of careers

I've learned that Mike Mularkey was only reason for our offensive woes

Our oline which graded out " holding there own" in NYG playoff game was the other reason but only allowed 2 sacks and 9 pressures

I've learned Foxworth trade was a great trade when Foxworth played how many games for us but a brilliant move by TD

I learned that you can be a fan of a team and hate everything about said team at the same time.

^ that if you argue both sides of every issue that you can never be wrong.

You mean like how spending the 3rd overall pick on a supposed noodle-armed, cowardly game manager who possesses neither the skillset nor mindset to lead us to a championship was somehow a brilliant move?

Yeah, I learned that recently as well.

You mean like how spending the 3rd overall pick on a supposed noodle-armed, cowardly game manager who possesses neither the skillset nor mindset to lead us to a championship was somehow a brilliant move?

Yeah, I learned that recently as well.

How about, many members actually believe that posters are really 2D programs without the functioning layers of a human emotion and logic...

wink.png

You'd think we were talking about world peace or how to spend $1.50 worth of milk money stolen from the lunch lady.

Seriously. Luckily there are some level heads here still. It's entertaining (sometimes) watching the same guys go back and forth about the same things constantly but God almighty, some of these folk defend their perspective like its their first-born.

I have learn that we alot of good posters here that wear their heart on the sleeves. There are good to great posters that can't take it when certain players are criticized. I also learned that if you have an opinion that doesn't jive with the next poster that you have an agenda. But hey, this is a message board and I guess these things will continue to happen as long as it is here. Go Falcons!!!!