Rg3 Doesn't Like Running Qb Stereo-Types

Panther Pride

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has been praised for his arm during Organized Team Activities, and Griffin wants to keep it that way.

Although Griffin was a track star early in his college career, and although he ran for 33 touchdowns at Baylor, he hates the idea that people would consider him a runner first and a passer second.

“I don’t want people to think I’m just an option quarterback,” Griffin said. “It’s not something you can prove, I don’t think. Perception is reality so it doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for, what you do in practice or what you do in the games. If you can run a little bit you’ll always be smacked with that stereotype.”

There’s never been an athlete quite like Griffin — a hurdler good enough that he could have been an Olympian if he hadn’t turned his attention to football — at the quarterback position. But that doesn’t mean Griffin is an athlete before he’s a quarterback. Griffin wants to be known as a passer who just happens to be a fast runner, when he needs to be.

Yes, people like Enlightened think that all black QB's that can run are running QB's. Good for RG3 sticking up for himself.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/08/robert-griffin-iii-doesnt-like-running-quarterback-stereotypes/

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you have QB`s like Rodgers who can run and throw. Rodgers may be to high on the comparison list since he is in that "elite group".

But until we see him play and how he handles reads and pressure or his throws. Its hard to determine a difference in what we have seen from previous running QB`s. Teebow time (its not always black QB`s).

Like Vick and im not going homer Vick fan on him. Vick was a prototypical running QB. He has all the ability to be a elite qb except 1 thing. Intelligence.

Reid has had to work with him on reading the D and making adjustments (falcon coaching failing for not teaching him that or his failure for not taking the time to up his game).

He had the arm strength but never put touch on the ball on where he was going. 1 yard lasers was over kill.

Fast release, but under pressure he would take off instead of trusting his blocks.

i have often argued its hard to have any OLINE protect Vick because they never knew where he was gonna be. So he wasnt smart enough to take 1 step up and avoid the pressure and reset.

Until someone proves they are not that type of QB its hard to not classify running QB`s as such , when we see the same things more often than not. Its trends. But its those trends that establish a pocket passer as well. Someone mastering both would be amazing and players like Rodgers has. He may not be known as the running highlight film like Vick, but he knew when to run and what was going on around him and when to reset and take his shot.

Thats why Rodgers was labeled one of the best QB`s vs pressure.

Then you have QB`s like Rodgers who can run and throw. Rodgers may be to high on the comparison list since he is in that "elite group".

But until we see him play and how he handles reads and pressure or his throws. Its hard to determine a difference in what we have seen from previous running QB`s. Teebow time (its not always black QB`s).

Like Vick and im not going homer Vick fan on him. Vick was a prototypical running QB. He has all the ability to be a elite qb except 1 thing. Intelligence.

Reid has had to work with him on reading the D and making adjustments (falcon coaching failing for not teaching him that or his failure for not taking the time to up his game).

He had the arm strength but never put touch on the ball on where he was going. 1 yard lasers was over kill.

Fast release, but under pressure he would take off instead of trusting his blocks.

i have often argued its hard to have any OLINE protect Vick because they never knew where he was gonna be. So he wasnt smart enough to take 1 step up and avoid the pressure and reset.

Until someone proves they are not that type of QB its hard to not classify running QB`s as such , when we see the same things more often than not. Its trends. But its those trends that establish a pocket passer as well. Someone mastering both would be amazing and players like Rodgers has. He may not be known as the running highlight film like Vick, but he knew when to run and what was going on around him and when to reset and take his shot.

Thats why Rodgers was labeled one of the best QB`s vs pressure.

Was it really Vick's smarts that were in question though? He's a bright guy, he just lacked the drive to better himself... he didn't care about paying attention, he didn't care about learning his teams offense.

Was it really Vick's smarts that were in question though? He's a bright guy, he just lacked the drive to better himself... he didn't care about paying attention, he didn't care about learning his teams offense.

Well i question his smarts because he didnt know how to do things on elite QB level that the Eagles are now trying to teach him. Was lazy a big issue with him? Yes. But being lazy caused him also to not learn fundamentals like making line adjustments based off how he read a D.

The Eagles worked with him last season on that and at this point in his career his is probably more willing to learn and put in that work.

But when you look at the Elite QB`s they have a smart level in how the handle different things and what they see. Vick will never be called a "student of the game". His ego was bigger than his desire to reach what he could have been. Thats also falcons coaching issues for failing to make him learn or motivate him to do it.

But now i think he understands the value of increasing his understanding of the position and not only being a great QB but what it takes to be a elite QB and thats not his feet. Its him learning.

It does make you wonder... if Romo had wheels to go with his arm...............and was actually able to escape blown plays...........would he be considered just a "running qb"?

See, no one ever said "just a running QB" I said Cam is a running QB. He does have the ability to run. You took that and ran with it. I never even insinuated what you thought I was saying. No QB that can complete 60% of his passes is "just a running QB". Yet the fact remains that these running QBs that everyone gets high on because "defenses have to prepare for them" have never really changed anything in the NFL at all. If you cant actually pass (which Cam can) then you wont win anything (Vick). So stop putting words in my mouth.

Mobile. Dual-threat, you don't call as QB that can pass a RUNNING QB. Because that's not all he does, Tebow is a RUNNING QB, Vick WAS a running QB.

My definition and yours differ, so stop judging what I say by your definition and actually pay attention to what I say. It would help me not have to waste my time explaining it to you over and over and over again.

Cam ran more than any other QB last year, that fits him as a running QB, not only a running QB, but a running QB all the same. I dont see how you keep ignoring that Cam ran 50 more times than Vick and 4 more times than Tebow. Yet you consider those running QBs and not yours. Homerism at its finest. cool.png

Edited by Enlightened29

See, no one ever said "just a running QB" I said Cam is a running QB. He does have the ability to run. You took that and ran with it. I never even insinuated what you thought I was saying. No QB that can complete 60% of his passes is "just a running QB". Yet the fact remains that these running QBs that everyone gets high on because "defenses have to prepare for them" have never really changed anything in the NFL at all. If you cant actually pass (which Cam can) then you wont win anything (Vick). So stop putting words in my mouth.

You sure did put Cam in one big pool of "running QB's" and saying they never win anything. Correct?

I can see where you got that out of what i was saying. I didn't mean smart like he couldn't add 2+2 or spell cat. But more how he took the time to learn the QB level and learned how to use all his talent in certain situations. Like calling his own plays off what he sees and making line adjustments. He was not smart enough to do that when he was a falcon.

But i did word that wrong and kinda went off clarifying.

You sure did put Cam in one big pool of "running QB's" and saying they never win anything. Correct?

Exciting QBs or "running QBs" havent won anything. I put Cam and RG3 in that category. One is a rookie and the other has a career mark of 6-10. If Cam ever wins a Super Bowl he'll change that. I dont see how being a "running QB" is bad as long as thats not the only thing you can do. Cam in multidimensional. Well see what he does with it.

You were the one that put "only" in front of "running QB". I never said he was a run first QB, you THOUGHT that and therefore made that what I said.

Do you like multidimensional rather than "running QB"? Will that stop the crying?

Edited by Enlightened29

I can see where you got that out of what i was saying. I didn't mean smart like he couldn't add 2+2 or spell cat. But more how he took the time to learn the QB level and learned how to use all his talent in certain situations. Like calling his own plays off what he sees and making line adjustments. He was not smart enough to do that when he was a falcon.

But i did word that wrong and kinda went off clarifying.

I get what you mean not.

With defenses getting bigger and faster...... I think we're going to start seeing more and more dual threat qbs.

At the moment, we've Rodgers , Vick (Eagles version), Cam, Freeman (he'll start moving again this year), Ponder, RG3, Luck, etc..

I do believe the dual threat qb is the new "norm" of what to look for from a college prospect.. sort of like how for 50+ years, the pure pocket passer that lacked mobility was the "norm". Once the league

With defenses getting bigger and faster...... I think we're going to start seeing more and more dual threat qbs.

At the moment, we've Rodgers , Vick (Eagles version), Cam, Freeman (he'll start moving again this year), Ponder, RG3, Luck, etc..

I do believe the dual threat qb is the new "norm" of what to look for from a college prospect.. sort of like how for 50+ years, the pure pocket passer that lacked mobility was the "norm". Once the league

How many years have we been hearing this? How effective has it been? Thank you...

No QB that has run more than 100 times in a season has ever won a Super Bowl. Now twist that any way you see fit.

Edited by Enlightened29

Honestly, thats what falcon fans thought when we got Vick.

The issues arise like while running will they be able to take they extra hits. Will players hit them extra hard since its open season on RB`s while QB`s are in a forcefield.

As long as QB`s run, they open that door to get taken out. Im not sure coaches want that still. In theory its great. But even the Falcons went 100% the other way when going to Ryan from Vick.

No doubt dual threat QB can win and are hard to account for. But they do open the door to other issues.

Honestly, thats what falcon fans thought when we got Vick.

The issues arise like while running will they be able to take they extra hits. Will players hit them extra hard since its open season on RB`s while QB`s are in a forcefield.

As long as QB`s run, they open that door to get taken out. Im not sure coaches want that still. In theory its great. But even the Falcons went 100% the other way when going to Ryan from Vick.

No doubt dual threat QB can win and are hard to account for. But they do open the door to other issues.

The problem with Vick was, he had the speed to avoid contact. Get the 10 yards and get Out of Bounds... or slide. He took the extra hits because he wanted more yards, he was a little greedy. I don't blame him for that, but he used to play like he was indestructible ....and he paid because of it.

Vick was ahead of his time....even if his arm took a few years to develop to the level his legs were at.

Most of the next generation prospects seem to have dual threat capabilities though. Luck and RG3.....this year, Cam and Ponder last year..