Benson Wants The Truth (He Investigate The Saints)

Trouble

Saints hire former FBI director to take top-to-bottom look at organization

After an offseason marred by a pay-for-performance/bounty scandal and subsequent allegations of G.M. Mickey Loomis having the capacity to engage in illegal wiretapping, Saints owner Tom Benson wanted clarity as to the goings-on within his team.

He’s getting it from former FBI director Louis Freeh.

A league source recently tipped us off to Freeh’s involvement with the team. Freeh, who now runs his own investigative firm and law practice, was retained to conduct a top-to-bottom investigation of the Saints, focusing initially on the wiretapping allegations.

Team spokesman Greg Bensel acknowledged and explained Freeh’s involvement.

“Serious allegations have been made about our organization this off-season; we take these allegations very seriously,” Bensel said via email. “As a result, we have hired the Freeh Group, founded by former director of the FBI and former federal judge Louis Freeh. Mr. Benson moved quickly to hire them and has spared no expense to get to the bottom of these allegations. We have given the Freeh Group complete access to our team and all of the individuals who have been associated with this news story.”

The findings of Freeh’s investigation aren’t currently known. The wiretapping allegations against Loomis, first reported in April by John Barr of ESPN, have yet to gain any real traction with law enforcement.

Coincidentally, Freeh has drawn praise in the past from former federal prosecutor Mary Jo White, whom the NFL has hired to provide an independent review of the bounty evidence.

“Louis is, probably more than anything else, an investigator’s investigator,” White said, per the Wall Street Journal. “He is very hands-on, and he was very hands-on as a director of the FBI.”

Last year, Penn State hired the Freeh Group to perform an independent investigation regarding the Jerry Sandusky case, and the years of apparent cover-ups. As of last month, more than 400 interviews had been conducted.

The difference between White’s role with the NFL and Freeh’s role with the Saints is that White reviewed the product of the league’s investigation. Freeh is actually conducting the investigation. Unlike White, who had a pre-existing relationship with the NFL, Freeh enters the picture with no prior relationship to worry about maintaining, which allows him to be truly independent and thorough and, ultimately, successful in getting to the truth.

That’s apparently want Tom Benson wants: the truth. Regardless of whether he, or anyone else,

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/08/saints-hire-former-fbi-director-to-take-top-to-bottom-look-at-organization/

I was gonna use the tom cruis "you cant handle the truth" but it didnt seem to fit, like al going off on the court.

As to why he would do such a move is questionable. As seen at TSR tries to figure out the motive.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/saints-hired-former-fbi-director-louis-freeh-take-top-bottom-look-organization-after-bounty-wiretap-claims-231552/

Im thinking he doesn't want any more gates involved with the Saints except the front gates. He also might not trust everything he is being told. As the owner i would wanna know the truth and if it was my team involved i would go after it. Even if it ment heads might have to roll because of it.

I dont see how his own investiogation could prove anything against the NFL`s, since Benson himself is paying for it and its not a official NFL investigation. But he also doesn't have to share his findings with the NFL.

But if more is going on (and clearly there is, lets be honest more players where involved that havent even been named "supposedly".)

While i truly do respect Loomis and Payton. Business is business and you have to wonder how deep it got with Vitt and Williams and the players. This investigation could determine how loyal benson stays to his staff going forward.

We know if the NFL does release the evidence its gonna be a media crap storm. If this season doesnt have a positive outcome it will cause a fan backlash. Benson probably is looking to see whats real on if changes need to be made with his staff and maybe even players like Vilma.

I say Vilma because every time he tweet s "bounty gate" is getting front page news. Right or wrong, thats bad for business. Also he has to consider what the other owners think of him as well. But trust in the staff should be at the highest level. If he is gonna 100% back his suspended staff, he probably wants to make sure he doesnt get burned like Blank did backing Vick before Vick said "yep i did it".

How do you know clearly more is going on? Just curious

There is always more going on. The NFL went after what they felt they could prove. Meaning they left stuff off they felt they didnt have enough evidence to prove. I know your gonna say "what evidence"?

But lets take a bank robber. Does a bank robber wake up 1 day and start robbing banks. Normally no. They build up to that. They get away with smaller crimes and get cocky. Williams thought he couldn't be touched (sounds cocky, he knew the NFL was after him and he still did it and would have cont had this not blown up).

Lets look at speeding tickets. Do you think the 1 person who gets pulled over for speeding is doing that for the first time? No they have probably ran lights, ran stop signs and broke numerous speeding laws.

Lets go back to sports. Steroids or drugs. How many times do we see that and it still comes up over and over. Some players have figured out how to beet the system.

The UFC fighter Nick Diaz is a great fighter. Yet he is a bigger pot smoker. He knows smoking will get him busted. He stops 10 days before a fight to clear his system (weed takes usually 30). Needless to say, when he got busted it wasnt the first time he picked up a joint. It was just the time he failed and got caught. But they cant punish him for all the other days he is getting stoned. They can just punish him for test he failed.

Look at Vick. Im done... if you dont see how big that was and how much was involved beyond what orig was said. Im not gonna tell ya.

Its always bigger than it looks.

How do you know clearly more is going on? Just curious

Step 1: release all the audio and video file that cameraman has and allow him to unbiased talk to the media. Even the audio tape he released, hid info on purpose and Brees even wanted that info manipulated to cover certain things to only paint a picture he wanted.

Release it all, every single clip and let the real investigation start.

This isnt just the Saints. If you put most of the teams in the NFL under a microscope you will find dirt one way shape or form. from drugs to gambling, to pay 4 performance etc etc etc.... Its part of sports and its going on. There is always more and the picture is bigger than just the Saints.

Step 1: release all the audio and video file that cameraman has and allow him to unbiased talk to the media. Even the audio tape he released, hid info on purpose and Brees even wanted that info manipulated to cover certain things to only paint a picture he wanted.

Release it all, every single clip and let the real investigation start.

This isnt just the Saints. If you put most of the teams in the NFL under a microscope you will find dirt one way shape or form. from drugs to gambling, to pay 4 performance etc etc etc.... Its part of sports and its going on. There is always more and the picture is bigger than just the Saints.

Again, the audio that was released did not prove what the league said the Saints were doing, and I'm wondering how anyone can't understand this. That's why I asked you what I did, because it is becoming clearer and clearer that this whole thing being blown out of proportion. This in my opinion is a god move by Benson, if nothing else he can keep his own house clean in the future. The Saints was not some rouge, out of control franchise no maurer how much Goodell try to paint that picture. They got caught doing something every team does ( still doesn't make it right), and it just so happened to be the perfect storm for the Commish with everything else that's going on with the league.

See its stuff like this, where a player is not punished but will leave Benson shaking his head.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/08/nate-washington-still-thinks-roman-harper-is-a-dirty-player/

Benson is smart to figure out is the team is being coached a certain way or if it the players playing a certain way and just make sense of what has happened and whats still being talked about. He is a NFL owner you dont wanna be looked down on (unless your the Raiders). But i cant blame him at all for trying to get to the bottom of it for his own sake. Just if nothing else when he talks to his business partners or other owners he isnt looked down on.

Like i said. He doesn't have to share what he find out be it good or bad. But i would think at this point players would be less willing to lie and cross the boss.

I dont think its a hard thing to stop and i dont think anything the Saints are accused of cant be stopped. But he needs to make sure that no one even at the player level risks anything being stupid like making side bets that could blow up and reflect him. But we dont know what the NFL has shared with him if anything at all. So going out and finding out for yourself is a very smart move.

Making sure the side bets and things like that are completely done, is fine and a good move. The league has painted this franchise in the most unflattering of lights, and has not shown there hand (at least to most our knowledge), so Benson may want to find out for himself, since what we all have seen doesn't add up to this team being the dangerous villains they've been made out to be

Edited by meezy0236

Doing this gives Benson some good options on several fronts. If the Saints staff and players are indeed guilty of all the charges that have been levied against them then he can adress it internally without necessarily having to report the findings to anyone outside of the organization. If the findings manage to vindicate the Saints from some or all of the accusations that have left lingering questions then he'll have something to fight back with.

I guess the first thing we need to do is get the regular RC critics to agree whether or not this former FBI dude is objective, lest his findings somehow shake our beliefs to their very foundations and we're forced to cry foul and discredit the man.

I'll start: I have no reason to doubt this dude's findings, no matter how bad they could potentially get for us. If he turns up evidence we tried to poison Kurt Warner with an syringe in a scrum it would be easier to accept than what the commisioner has asserted based on the evidence he's shown (or allowed to leak, as the case may be).

Doing this gives Benson some good options on several fronts. If the Saints staff and players are indeed guilty of all the charges that have been levied against them then he can adress it internally without necessarily having to report the findings to anyone outside of the organization. If the findings manage to vindicate the Saints from some or all of the accusations that have left lingering questions then he'll have something to fight back with.

I guess the first thing we need to do is get the regular RC critics to agree whether or not this former FBI dude is objective, lest his findings somehow shake our beliefs to their very foundations and we're forced to cry foul and discredit the man.

I'll start: I have no reason to doubt this dude's findings, no matter how bad they could potentially get for us. If he turns up evidence we tried to poison Kurt Warner with an syringe in a scrum it would be easier to accept than what the commisioner has asserted based on the evidence he's shown (or allowed to leak, as the case may be).

You already stated the problem of conceding to whatever it is this guy may or may not find. The saints aren't required to report any information. This is just as useful to the public as NFL's "outside investigator". We only know what they are telling us.

Players and remaining staff could cont to lie and cover it up until the NFL releases what they have. Also he is payed by Benson. If Benson is trying to find the truth good or bad, then he is likely more objective. But if Benson just wants a piece of mind his team is not guilty, then the guy might not bite the hand that feeds. Meaning Benson is paying him, so he may slide away from negative findings.

Those are just 2 things that could be reasons to doubt his findings. But overall i think Benson wants to know whats up and is looking for the good, bad and the ugly. Its not uncommon for company's to bring in outside help to run internal investigations. The bigger question is "if benson finds anything, will he release it"? He might pull a NFL and stash it away as well to keep from any further media crap storms. Thats actually the smart way to go.

Then he could release players of staff with dignity kinda like we did w/ BVG and MM. Yes MM got promoted and BVG also had a job. But it was not doubt they would likely be gone and when they Blank and Smith and TD stayed up most positive about their contributions to the franchise.

This reminds WFW of the Martha Moxley case. The Skakel's father hired a PI to get to the truth some 15 years after his son's were not indicted for the murder to prove once and for all they were innocent. Well it turns out evidence was found that Michael Skakel indeed was the murderer, but the Skakel's father tried to suppress the evidence only to have Mark Furman push the case to trial. Skakel finally was convicted of the little 15 year old girls murder!

In other words, the saints should leave well enough alone!

in other words, your dad should of left your mom alone and we wouldnt have to see your BS! lol

Guest TheIdowu

Yea, the

Benson is a smart man. This is a smart move. Whether the investigation uncovers anything good or bad, it's a smart move.

Yea. . . . . . and their fans re getting hurt over nothing. They flood this board trying to defend their disgraced organization. . . .

Guest TheIdowu

I am not looking for attention. . .

People come to a rival teams' message board and expect ice cream and cake. . . a division rival at that.

Back to saintsreport. . . .but we know that will NEVER happen