Will Julio Replace Roddy @#1Wr?

Given a glimpse of what JJ can do on the field from last season, most fans and experts believe this will be a BIG year for #11. If Julio breaks out this season and Roddy does as well as he always has, do you guys believe Juilo gets the promotion. If that's to be the case, would Roddy ask to be traded or would he play with less enthusiasum after being demoted to the #2WR? I believe Juilo is in postion to at some point in the near future to become the new #1WR, possibly as soon as the 2013 or 2014 season. As far as how Roddy may react, only time will tell I guess.

Roddy is not getting any younger & his play will eventually decline. How much? Depends on his work ethic. But I don't think its a big deal who is the #1 receiver as long as we are winning & both are contributing. Both can put up huge numbers so in our offense so I believe designating who is #1 & #2 is not that big of a deal.

I don't think it's a matter of the coaching staff labeling JJ or RW #1 or #2. I'm pretty sure its more like, in this formation you line up here...

As far as production goes, I think RW out produces JJ one more year. With a new offense there are going to be growing pains, and when that happens it's natural for any QB to default to who they have the most trust in. Right now, RW is Matt's security blanket. That will change as JJ builds more and more trust from Matt and as RW starts to decline.

I think Roddy stays here. It will just be a natural changing of the guard. Roddy's numbers will start to go down while Julio's will skyrocket. You just will look up and see that Julio is they guy targeted more and the guy teams start to focus on stopping.

Do you mean

--Who will get double teamed?

----Who will draw the #1CB?

---Who will line up outside Gonzo?

---Who will get the most yards?

--- Who will get the most TDs?

Whaty is your definition of #1?

I assumed whaty he meant was, will Julio start more games since Roddy had the dropsies over the last few years, esp last year. I still think they will get equal time in a new scheme of O plays.

What koetter has found out from film study in IMO, is that teams have locked down on Roddy, Turner and Tony to much because of MM's over excessive usage of the three in his game plans. In result of that, it has hurt us down the stretch when we have needed all three the must. What koetter wants to do is to detract some of the attention off those three guys and utilize the speed of Douglas , Jones and Quizz to keep the offense opened up. What this will do is cause the defense to go into overload and not be able to contain any one man on the field if they don't know who to really stop on offense when they game plan. The speed on the field will keep our offense in full drive so that we don't stall out so much like we did in 2011 particularly in the 2nd quarters of games.

Apparently you didn't read that article on NFL.com yesterday that did a write up on Roddy's tweets. He pretty much stated that the Falcons have playmakers at every level and that he didn't need to be targeted as much as he was in the past for the Falcons to be successful. For those of you whom follow Roddy on twitter, you can look at his tweets to validate this summary.

Both of them are our number 1 reciever. I think/hope Roddy will retire as a Falcon. For awhile he's been the heart of this team and you get the impression by his actions and words that he loves to play ball and he loves doing it in Atlanta. You can't ask for a better attitude from a guy. Julio will definatley get targeted alot more but maybe not as much as Roddy this year. As far as defending them, I imagine teams will gameplan the same way alot of teams have against us. Stop Turner, control line of scrimmage, get on Ryan, and play cover two. I don't think that will work as well against us as it has in the past due to our new OC.

Guest TheIdowu

There really won't be a number 1 or number 2 receiver. It'll be more like 1A and 1B.

This. Especially if Julio can stay healthy and on the field. If I had to choose one, though, I would say Roddy is still the man. Nothing can be taken away until something has been proven more worthy.

Edited by TheIdowu

Eventually Julio will become more of a factor than Roddy soon but I still think that he will produce like Driver has done for Green Bay(who continued to have consecutive 1,000 yard seasons until the age of 35 and is still a contributor in their offense) over resent years.

Roddy's play will eventually start to decline but I don't think that it will be this season.

As long as Roddy doesn't want a huge contract when he is slated to become a free agent, we will keep both until both retire. We have a Fitz and Boldin situation right now with Julio and Roddy respectively. Roddy is considerably older but will be a great possession complement to Julio as e gets up there in age.

The Cardinals would never have let go of the much older Boldin if he didn't have unreasonable salary demands given his age and role going forward. Hopefully Roddy isn't the same way because a crappy team like the Browns could offer him more money and a bigger role like the Ravens offered Boldin.