Is The Featured R B For The 2012 Falcons Currently On The Roster? Week 10 Update

Week 10 edit

Bumping a thread from minicamp . . . : My point was this: Even though Turner is still a serviceable feature back in the NFL, could we have saved NET Salary Cap, and therefore improved personnel elsewhere OR at RB by taking the dead money hit and saving enough on the Salary Cap and signing someone else? As of Week 10, it seems like we could have done just that. Turner has performed inconsistently. It seems like we could have picked someone else who would have performed as well AND saved enough cap room to find additional help somewhere on the roster (maybe linebacker depth? A stronger interior offensive lineman?

Thoughts?

My guess is no, and here's why:

Michael Turner: Every year he SEEMS fatter and less explosive, but every year he keeps posting good "basic numbers". The problem is that there are sophisticated numbers that reinforce the broader perceived decline and actually negate the good "basic numbers" (total yards, ypc etc. I should dig them up, but I'm too lazy) Essentially, when getting yards were really important, Turner did a really bad job getting them.

Now, apparently he has gotten even fatter so far this off season. If you compare pics from Turner in his first year in the ATL and Turner now . . . it's not pretty.

The other thing that isn't pretty is he will be a $7,000,000 cap hit this year. If he is cut, he will be either 2 and 4 million in dead money. Can anyone confirm either number? I just don't see how or why they would keep Turner at $7 million.

Jason Snelling: Essential to the team for his total contribution, but lacks the explosiveness to be featured.

Jaquizz Rogers: We all love the guy, and he should make more of a contribution as a 3rd down/screen guy (plus I LOVED the wheel route for a touchdown late last season) but does anyone see him stepping up as THE go to guy in 2012? Or ever?

Dimitri Nance/Antone Smith: Seems like these guys fight for a roster spot every year and I still can't distinguish them. Clearly not The Answer . . .

Which means . . . . there is a little problem. In an age where no one is paying running backs, the Falcons have a HUGE percentage of their cap space tied up in a guy who is unlikely to make a the kind of contribution you would expect from guys making a fraction of that amount on other teams. Yet there is no one to fill the void if he is cut.

Maybe they cut him loose now and hope to sign him back in a range such that his total cost would be half of what it is now.

The key question is: If we cut him loose and take a 2 million dollar hit, what might be on the market for $5 million? Maybe there will be another running back who is a cap casualty available during camp. Just looking at the numbers, it seems like there should be value improvement available. Maybe even enough to make improvements elsewhere.

Will Cutter have the kind of offense that will permit a cookie cutter replacement for Turner? Or will the replacement need familiarity with the system?

I can't figure this out. I wonder if anyone else has any idea? The BEST thing is that this is just the sort of problem Dimitroff has proven quite adept at solving. I am sort of looking forward to seeing what he pulls off.

BTW, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I haven't been on the boards much lately.

Edited by holymoses

He's not on here now. There are a lot of decent RBs who come available for 2M/yr. I'd expect a platoon.

Edit: My bad, I thought it said 2013. I think Turner's the guy this year, even though I think they should have cut him early in the offseason and taken vet OL help with the money. I don't think next year's back is on this squad.

I don't understand why he keeps gaining weight. He is not committed to winning a championship and this should be his last year here. We could just draft a feature guy next year for way less money. Lets just hope the falcons can get a ring this year with the fat boy.

If the Falcons cut him now, it would be 2.5 against the cap this year and 2.5 mil against the cap next year. His cap hit for this year is actually 7.5.

Ouch OUCH OUCH!!

Wow . . . . Even if they had to take those hits, Turner has been worth every dime they have paid him and every dime he will cost them (in dead money.) He was a rock during the transition.

It still seems like, even with the cap hits, there is better value available.

I don't understand why he keeps gaining weight. He is not committed to winning a championship and this should be his last year here. We could just draft a feature guy next year for way less money. Lets just hope the falcons can get a ring this year with the fat boy.

It boggles my mind . . . . especially since he huddles with Roddy "I used to eat like you, then I became a professional, and look at me now" White as well as Tony "I've ALWAYS taken care of myself and look at me late in my career" Gonzales. Turner must make Gonzales CRAZY.

For some reason, I thought he was in the final season of his contract.

Yeah me too. I thought it was only a 5-year deal he signed with the Falcons but it was a 6-year deal. But I don't expect him to be back next year.

I do not see the Falcons running back of the future currently on the roster. I think we'll be looking for a new starting RB next off-season.