What Kind Of Numbers/performance From Ray Edwards Would Please You?

Guest Gritz

Guest Gritz

I'll start.

My goals after seeing this guy for a year are fairly modest. I don't think he has any particularly strong or innovative initial burst/moves....and for a "boxer" his hand fighting is mediocre at best...arm ripping is average.

If he gets 6 sacks for the year, keeps contain and stays steady against the run I will be satisfied.

What do you need to see?

Same.

He doesn't have much bend or lateral agility to him, so he's not going to be a dynamo. He also doesn't disengage well once he's tied up.

So, I'd like to see him with no fewer than 5 sacks, and pretty consistently pushing into the pocket, though I think this will require some more power from his bullrush. He could pick up a few sacks due to blitz confusion, also.

I'd like to see 5 that involve him beating his man. Any others he picks up will be gravy.

Well 6 sounds good --

just remember Nolan's comment

"I'd rather have 10 players with 4 sacks each than 4 players with 10 sacks each."

If he intends to live by this comment then the individual total sack numbers may be low this year but the team numbers may be up.

If he could be a 6 to 10 sack guy then I think we'll be fine. He does everything well but has no real pass rush moves. If he can develop some he can easily do that and even be a 8-12 guy.

If he does go off this year then that's all the evidence I need that our scheme was holding our LDEs back. Biermann had 5 sacks as a RE in limited snaps then only 3 as a starting LE. Even Chauncey Davis had 4 sacks as a situational player at RE and then only 1 with more playing time at LE the next year.

Guest ¡Spot on Dtan!

You get what you pay for.

"Red" is a very good run defender.

And an average sack artist.

Let's be objective here, folks.

"8-12" is not in the picture.

6 is about perfect. For some odd reason some people on this forum expect him to be a 10 sack guy because he got a "mega contract" (which he didn't). And people also don't realize the difference between LE and RE, but i'm not getting into all that.

We signed him for what 5m a year? Pretty much the exact same contract as Chauncey Davis a few years ago right? Not a huge contract.

I'm not basing my judgement solely on numbers though. Having rewatched all the games this summer i focused alot on him and i saw him to be very active on the D line very athletic for his size, getting his hands up and batting several passes and getting decent pressure as well as accumulating several TFL or being the reason other players get them. Not to mention the guy is an absolute beast defending the run.

Maybe i am so high on him because JA98 was so terrible, but there is a HUGE difference on our left side of the D line now. It is extremely noticeable.

OP you are definitely correct on his pass rush moves. Dude is a straight bull rusher with a very the repertoire of moves haha when i say very thin i mean he has one smile.png

Edited by Clark Kent

Guest TheIdowu

I want to see all the technical stuff regarding his position that Gritz named in his initial post; however, I want to see dude with at least 8 sacks on the season. That is average of a full sack every other game. I could do 6 or 7, though, but so long as he does the little things pretty well that Gritz mentioned.

Edited by TheIdowu

Same.

He doesn't have much bend or lateral agility to him, so he's not going to be a dynamo. He also doesn't disengage well once he's tied up.

So, I'd like to see him with no fewer than 5 sacks, and pretty consistently pushing into the pocket, though I think this will require some more power from his bullrush. He could pick up a few sacks due to blitz confusion, also.

I'd like to see 5 that involve him beating his man. Any others he picks up will be gravy.

5 on his own sounds right. Think he might have played stiff last year because of his knee [and some other injury?]. Really don't care about the number so much as the effectiveness. If he's getting consistent pressure on the QB and running him into Abe, don't care about his sack numbers.

Really interested to see how he and the rest of the Dline do in a more aggressive D

Guest TheIdowu

5 on his own sounds right. Think he might have played stiff last year because of his knee [and some other injury?]. Really don't care about the number so much as the effectiveness. If he's getting consistent pressure on the QB and running him into Abe, don't care about his sack numbers.

Really interested to see how he and the rest of the Dline do in a more aggressive D

Yea, I aint all into very high sack numbers (10 +) so long as he gets consistent pressure in the passing game and constant push in the running game. Some people want him getting a sack a game. That is unrealistic for him and anyone playing his specialty really. I will say, though, that I want those sacks to be QUALITY sacks.

Just more pressure. Sacks to me are slightly overrated. If you fan get a qb off his spot and it forces the offense into a negative play or just nothing that will be fine by me. I'll guess he will get 7 sacks this year though.

I think alot of the D-Lines numbers are going to depend on how well the secondary holds up. Alot of times in the past few seasons our pass rushers only needed another 1/2 a second to get the QB down.

With Samuel and Nolan on board we could get that needed 1/2 second of coverage.

I would be thrilled to see 6-8 sacks from Ray Edwards and continued improvement against the run.

I would really like to see 8 but I would be content with 6. Moreover, I would like to see our d line do something more creative on obvious passing situations. The giants line up JPP, Tuck, an Osi at the same time (along with another lineman) but you see their three best pass rushers at one time. This in mind, I would like to see a passing down line of Abe, Babs, R-Ed, and Sid/Biermann(whicher is more productive generating pressure) in this circumstance.

I'll start.

My goals after seeing this guy for a year are fairly modest. I don't think he has any particularly strong or innovative initial burst/moves....and for a "boxer" his hand fighting is mediocre at best...arm ripping is average.

If he gets 6 sacks for the year, keeps contain and stays steady against the run I will be satisfied.

What do you need to see?

I was going to say precisely 6 sacks, but with Ray I don't really care about the sack numbers. He wasn't brought in to be a double digit sack guy -- if he was his contract and value on the market would have reflected that. He is a superb run defender and if healthy should be able to beat a one on one if Abe is doubled and our DTs are getting push. If our DTs struggle like last year and both of our DEs are doubled then Ray will be a non factor -- that's why I wanted Devon Still to slide two more spots so badly in this past draft although I am happy with the Konz pick.

If he shuts down the run on the left side and gets consistent pressure and tackles for loss on run plays, then I'll be very happy with Ray. People are a little delusional about expectations for him especially as a left defensive end in a 4-3 without any "stud" DTs (Babs was a good and underrated DT but is now overrated and on the decline) and a RDE on a snap count. Justin Tuck had 5 sacks last year and 6 sacks in 2009 and people still talk about him as one of the best DEs in the NFL -- he runs with a great motor and is consistently making an impact on most players, which is what we need from Ray. He also occasionally kicks into DT to get a better pure pass rusher onto the field at DE on 3rd downs and in obvious passing situations. I'd to see Nolan use Ray in the same way.

Both guys are 6'5 268 lbs so don't say he doesn't have the size. A passing down defensive line of RDE Abraham, DT Babineaux, DT Edwards, LDE Biermann/Massaquoia/Sidbury could be very very good. Not to mention LBs Weatherspoon and Nicholas, CBs Samuel, Grimes, Robinson and Safeties Moore and DeCoud. Could be nasty.