Ota Report: Julio Jones Shines, Hill On Konz

theProf

OTA Report: Julio Jones shines, Hill on Konz

2:13 pm June 6, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons finished up a spirited two-hour OTA practice on Wednesday.

Wide receiver Julio Jones continued to shine in the workouts.

“There is a little less weight on the top of his head with his dreads gone, but he’s had a very good camp for us as you saw today,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said. “He made some very nice catches and he’s been making those types of catches all through camp.”

For Jones, cutting his hair was about more than just a new look.

Gone are the dreadlocks that were a trademark for the Falcons wide receiver through his first year in Atlanta and his collegiate career at Alabama.

Jones cut his hair and donated it to a charity that helps children with cancer.

“We do a lot of community service here, and from going to a lot of hospitals and seeing all the kids who are fans of mine, I just cut my hair and donated it for leukemia patients,” Jones said Wednesday.

Jones said he has run into a number of people who double-take in his direction,

Julio-Jones-dreads-300x266.jpg

unsure if he is really the Falcons receiver. There are no plans to grow his hair out again.

“I like the new look,” he said.

Here are some of the other highlights:

– Coach Mike Smith gave an updated injury report. The big news is that offensive tackle Lamar Holmes (toe) will not be available until the start of training camp. The Falcons were hoping that their third round pick would get some action late in the OTAs and definitely by the minicamp (June 19-21).

“We don’t have to give an injury report, but we want to give up an update on where we are,” Smith said. “Corey Peters has not been able to participate and he will not participate in our offseason program. The first time that we’ll get him back out on the field is when we start training camp in July. We had follow-up appointments with a couple of guys here earlier in the week and we made a couple of decisions. Lamar Holmes will not participate in the rest of the offseason program. We are going to be very precautionary. You saw he was walking around, he was out of his boot. So we are going to be very precautionary.

“Stephen Nicholas (toe) is still progressing with his procedure where he missed some time last season as well.”

Also, defensive end Cliff Matthews was out with an undisclosed injury.

Attendance: Cornerback Asante Samuel, who had a previous engagement, was not at practice along with defensive end John Abraham and tight end Tony Gonzalez. Samuel took part in the Tuesday session.

– The offense came out on the attack, but couldn’t score against the first-team defense. The best play was a screen pass out to Michael Turner.

Cornerback rotation: With Samuel out, Brent Grimes played the left side. Dunta Robinson played the right. When the team went to the nickel, Robinson slid inside and Christopher Owens went to the right side.

Dominique Franks and Darrin Walls were the second-team corners.

Robert McClain and Marty Markett were the third team corners. Markett made a nice interception of a tipped pass, but got “coached up” when he tried to reverse field instead of streaming up the sideline.

Offensive line rotation: Left tackle Sam Baker, left guard Justin Blalock, center Joe Hawley, right guard Garrett Reynolds and right tackle Tyson Clabo ran with the first unit.

Left tackle Will Svitek, left guard Andrew Jackson, center Peter Konz, right guard Vince Manuwai and right tackle Mike Johnson made up the second line.

Left tackle Bryce Harris, left guard Phillip Manley, center Tyler Horn, right guard Peter Konz and right tackle Andrew Jackson made up the third.

When the Falcons used their first two draft picks this year on offensive lineman, McClure didn’t waste any time offering his help to the rookies.

The center, entering his 15th NFL season, is used to competition for his job. It’s been that way since he entered the league. Nevertheless, he understands the position of Konz and Holmes.

“I’ve dealt with it my whole career, young guys coming in, and I’ve always said I’ll try to teach as much as I can,” McClure said. “Kind of pay it forward. I told those guys when they came in, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask because we are making our team better. If I can teach those guys a little thing that can help this team win games, that’s what I’m here for.”

Staff writer Chris Vivlamore contributed to this report.

Tweet

–D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Falcons beat blog

Guest Gritz

“Corey Peters has not been able to participate and he will not participate in our offseason program."

That just doesn't sound good.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.

I don't think it's that big of a deal 'cause Smith said right after that:

"The first time that we’ll get him back out on the field is when we start training camp in July."

....and it's already June 6.....no biggie.....unless they're lying to us. wink.png

I don't understand the title of this report. There was nothing in it where Coach Hill discussed Konz???

There was a video where he talked about him basically saying he was smart and picking things up nicely. Wisconsin played a pro style offense... blah... blah... blah... It's basic math and not trig... or something like that.

Nothing major.

“Corey Peters has not been able to participate and he will not participate in our offseason program."

That just doesn't sound good.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's probably not a bad injury but when you're talking about the foot or toe those are very painful injuries that need time to heal properly. Turf Toe has a wimpy name but it's awful if you've ever had it, so is the injury where you knock the fluid out of you finger joints, I had that in college and it felt like my thumb was going to fall off.

I don't understand the title of this report. There was nothing in it where Coach Hill discussed Konz???

There is a video that goes with this report. It has Pat Hill talking about Konz.

It is only 51 seconds long. Here is the link:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/06/06/ota-report-julio-jones-shines-hill-on-konz/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

I don't think it's that big of a deal 'cause Smith said right after that: "The first time that we’ll get him back out on the field is when we start training camp in July." ....and it's already June 6.....no biggie.....unless they're lying to us. wink.png

True camp is only a month away so I guess it's not as bad as it sounds but it wouldn't be the first time they mislead us about the extent of an injury to a DT.

I was never a huge McClure fan (or a detractor for that matter, just a middle of the pack guy to me), but I love his attitude and his commitment. This says a lot about that man.

“I’ve dealt with it my whole career, young guys coming in, and I’ve always said I’ll try to teach as much as I can,” McClure said. “Kind of pay it forward. I told those guys when they came in, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask because we are making our team better. If I can teach those guys a little thing that can help this team win games, that’s what I’m here for.”

There was a video where he talked about him basically saying he was smart and picking things up nicely. Wisconsin played a pro style offense... blah... blah... blah... It's basic math and not trig... or something like that.

Nothing major.

Thanks for the clarification regarding Coach Hill and Konz.

I can't be the only one reading this article thinking "Wow I wish Dled wrote like this more often and brought some decent info" then get to the bottom and read this.

Staff writer Chris Vivlamore contributed to this report.

I don't know who Chris Vivlamore is but I'm all for handing him over the job already.

I was never a huge McClure fan (or a detractor for that matter, just a middle of the pack guy to me), but I love his attitude and his commitment. This says a lot about that man.

It is refreshing to read, a lot athletes are so paranoid they're going to lose their spot on a team they undermine the young/new teammates.

God help us if Sam Baker starts at left tackle and Garrett Reynolds starts at right guard in 2012. Better yet, God help Matt Ryan!

It's just preliminary. If anyone wants the job they have to take it from last year's starters. The most intriguing thing to me is Mike Johnson at rt.

It's probably not a bad injury but when you're talking about the foot or toe those are very painful injuries that need time to heal properly. Turf Toe has a wimpy name but it's awful if you've ever had it, so is the injury where you knock the fluid out of you finger joints, I had that in college and it felt like my thumb was going to fall off.

Most of the guys on this board have only played Madden...

God help us if Sam Baker starts at left tackle and Garrett Reynolds starts at right guard in 2012. Better yet, God help Matt Ryan!

If Pat Hill thinks Baker is better than Svitek then he better be dam sure or he will be on the hot seat quickly.

It's just preliminary. If anyone wants the job they have to take it from last year's starters. The most intriguing thing to me is Mike Johnson at rt.

somebody has to be the back-up RT - thought they would move Reynolds back there since he was such a grease-fire as a RG.

I can't be the only one reading this article thinking "Wow I wish Dled wrote like this more often and brought some decent info" then get to the bottom and read this.

I don't know who Chris Vivlamore is but I'm all for handing him over the job already.

Either that or get rid of that fool Pat Y with ESPN. I have been sending him a lot of email lately with corrections to his writing, but for some reason he never wants to get back to me, or respond to my questions during the NFC South chat on fridays.

It is sounding pretty interesting to me. The 1st string defense stopped the offensive from scoring without Abe or Samuel. I also like that instead of putting Owens in the nickle, they move Robinson in, and put Owens on the outside. This probably would have went well last year.