Peyton

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From wikipedia:

Confederate Memorial

Close-up of the memorial

The largest bas relief sculpture in the world, the Confederate Memorial Carving depicts three Confederate leaders of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (and their favorite horses, "Blackjack", "Traveller", and "Little Sorrel", respectively). The entire carved surface measures 3 acres (12,000 m2), about the size of two and a quarter football fields. The carving of the three men towers 400 feet (120 m) above the ground, measures 90 by 190 feet (58 m), and is recessed 42 feet (13 m) into the mountain. The deepest point of the carving is at Lee's elbow, which is 12 feet (3.7 m) to the mountain's surface.

The carving was conceived by Mrs. C. Helen Plane, a charter member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The Venable family, owners of the mountain, deeded the north face of the mountain to the UDC in 1916. The UDC was given 12 years to complete a sizable Civil War monument. Gutzon Borglum was commissioned to do the carving.Borglum abandoned the project in 1923 (and later went on to begin Mount Rushmore). American sculptor Augustus Lukeman continued until 1928, when further work stopped for thirty years. In 1958, at the urging of Governor Marvin Griffin, the Georgia legislature approved a measure to purchase Stone Mountain for $1,125,000. In 1963, Walker Hancock was selected to complete the carving, and work began in 1964. The carving was completed by Roy Faulkner, who later operated a museum (now closed) on nearby Memorial Drive commemorating the carving's history. The carving was considered complete[5] on March 3, 1972.

Carving and the Ku Klux Klan

William J. Simmons founded the reborn Klan atop Stone Mountain in 1915

Atlanta Constitution clipping Nov. 28, 1915 describing the Klan re-establishment atop Stone Mountain

Ku Klux Klan activities at Stone Mountain are deep-rooted, although the original conception of the memorial pre-dates the 1915 revival of the Klan. The revival of the Ku Klux Klan was emboldened by the release of D. W. Griffith's Klan-glorifying film The Birth of a Nation,[6] and by the lynching of Leo Frank, who was convicted in the murder of Mary Phagan.[7] On November 25, 1915, a group of robed and hooded men met at Stone Mountain to create a new incarnation of the Klan. They were led by William J. Simmons, and they included a group calling itself the Knights of Mary Phagan. A cross was lit, and the oath was administered by Nathan Bedford Forrest II, the grandson of the original Imperial Grand Wizard, Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, and was witnessed by the owner of Stone Mountain, Samuel Venable.

Fundraising for the monument resumed in 1923, and in October of that year, Venable granted the Klan easement with perpetual right to hold celebrations as they desired.[8] Because of their deep involvement with the early fund-raising and their increasing political clout in Georgia,[9] the Klan, along with the United Daughters of the Confederacy, were able to influence the ideology of the carving, and they strongly supported an explicitly Confederate memorial. Of the $250,000 raised, part came directly from the Ku Klux Klan [9] but part came from the federal government, which in 1924 issued special fifty-cent coins with Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on them.

Martin Luther King, Jr. mentioned the monument in his 1963 "I Have a Dream" speech in Washington, D.C., when he said "let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!"[10] Granite suppliers in Georgia sent samples cut from Stone Mountain to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Foundation to be considered for use in a planned monument in King's honor; the Foundation later chose to use granite imported from China.

The discussion on Abraham Lincoln got me thinking about this a bit.

I think Stone Mountain should get rid of carving on the side of the mountain that is deeply rooted in racism and hate.

Who is with me?

No way, the mountain is beautiful, a true work of art in a age when people pass dunking a crucifix in urine and an unrecognizable Obama in mouse ears off as "art". It was a f'ed up time, but it is still our history and should not be obliterated. By your logic lets blow up Mt. Rushmore as well since the land was stolen from the indians and it's sculptor (who hand picked the presidents on it) was also a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

No way, the mountain is beautiful, a true work of art in a age when people pass dunking a crucifix in urine and an unrecognizable Obama in mouse ears off as "art". It was a f'ed up time, but it is still our history and should not be obliterated. By your logic lets blow up Mt. Rushmore as well since the land was stolen from the indians and it's sculptor (who hand picked the presidents on it) was also a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

And he is also the guy who started Stone Mountain, and the owner of the mountain was in the KKK too.

But I'm not really interested in Mount Rushmore. I am interested in Stone Mountain because I grew up 5 miles from it.

I dont see why you couldnt add more carvings and create a collage of Southern American history on the mountain. You could add a carving of MLK or any other symbol of southern heritage as seen fit. I wouldn`t even mind a carving of a barbeque grill.

yea Im pretty sure it has racist overtones. Most people would never deny that.

But what can be done? cover it up? demolish it? Its pretty much there and it is a remarkable artistic achievement.

I have to admit...I don't know the answer to that second question. I am not in touch with what people and technology are capable of today with regards to changing the face of a mountain.