No Love For Nolan?

http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

I know these guys are idiots, but come on. Not one person picked the Mike Nolan hiring as having the biggest impact?

Mike Nolans resume is pretty darn impressive. I thought it was an excellent hire.

One of these weenies even picked Brad Childress in Cleveland as having the biggest impact.

Heck the only guy who even mentions the Nolan hiring at all is Charley Casserly, and even then, it's just a "situation he'll be paying close attention to".

It doesnt pizz me off. ok, just a little.

I saw some posters predicting our defense to be top 5. Whether that's accurate or not, I believe that if that's true then Nolans arrival would be a integral part of that.

I believe he can make this defense great and his hiring was one of the most important off-season acquisitions for asst coach in the league. None of the pundits agree.

Am i wrong? Are we expecting too much out of Nolan? Are we overrating him?

Edited by HouseofEuphoria

I don't think we're overrating him. He is indeed one of the best coaching changes to happen in the league this offseason, and our defense is going to surprise a lot of people this year. I think this may be another classic case of the Falcons not gaining the recognition they deserve. It's been happening quite frequently.

I don't think we're overrating him. He is indeed one of the best coaching changes to happen in the league this offseason, and our defense is going to surprise a lot of people this year. I think this may be another classic case of the Falcons not gaining the recognition they deserve. It's been happening quite frequently.

I agree.

I just thought it would be bigger news with bigger expected results...knowutimean?

I just dont understand how we suddenly went back to typical Falcons anonymity. That playoff loss has created a false perception, i think. We're gonna surprise some people this year.

Absolutely. All bias aside, I can honestly say Nolan was the premiere pick-up this off-season on the defensive side of the ball. Arthur Blank made it rain on him to get him in here, because he's the best there was for defense. Why do you think Nolan was the first one signed between he, del Rio, and Spagnuolo?

I think allot of the league is trying to figure out if our coaching changes are an upgrade. After all, the coaches we had made us a pretty darn good team. The casual observer would notice how predictability cost us allot of our potential for success.

Maybe this new Falcon flying under the radar isn't such a bad thing; give the others the expectations and I'll take the results!

Rest assured one **** Nolan couldn't care less about preseason expectations of talking heads. This man exudes confidence and has the league wide resume, recognition and respect of all NFL defensive coaches to warrant such authentic confidence.

Personally, more than any other acquisition since the clock ran out last January in New York I find this hire the most gratifying. I certainly haven't been vague about my utter dislike of BVG's ability and lack of an NFL resume that warranted a DC position. Such is not the case with Mr. Nolan and I anticipate some loud and serious applause of our defense this season.

Guest Negatorris

It's Mike friggin' Nolan. He will have a **** of an impact, and they'll see once our defense joins the top tier ones in the NFC.

I agree.

I just thought it would be bigger news with bigger expected results...knowutimean?

I just dont understand how we suddenly went back to typical Falcons anonymity. That playoff loss has created a false perception, i think. We're gonna surprise some people this year.

Absolutely. I expected more attention to Nolan too. And yeah, it's sad to say, but people all around here have no faith in the Falcons. Anyone I talk to who isn't a die hard Falcons fan is always quick to say that we are going nowhere again this year. It's as if they've accepted past seasons as an inevitable outcome for future seasons.

Well, time to prove 'em all wrong!

No i think it's a little different, they view the Falcons Defense as very good already and so Nolan can only improve it. They are looking for a BIG turn around like the Falcons between 07 and 08.

Except on plays that mattered, like 3rd and 105, or 4th and 1.

Guest Gritz

Well, last year Larry King's illegitimate son Peter King ("I like cheese! Coffee is good!!!") picked the Falcons to make the Superbowl....

I'm at the point in my history as a fan of the Falcons where I like it when everyone is ignoring us. I don't need ESPN, Peter King or Mike Golic to notice or talk favorably about Atlanta to validate the team in my eyes.....Plus, it will make it all that much sweeter when we do win it all.

Back on point though, even looking at it through objective eyes it's journalistically lazy for the talking heads to ignore the hiring of Nolan. He is thought of as one of the better and most innovative DCs in the league by people who understand the game......which might explain why a lot of those talking suits glossed over him.

Guest TheIdowu

Mike Nolan was NOT a sexy pick in the eyes of many . . . . . including many of our own fans. It was like a "ehhh" type hiring for many. Many people wanted the fame and big shot splash in Spagnuolo. I am ELATED over the Nolan hire. . .

Mike Nolan was NOT a sexy pick in the eyes of many . . . . . including many of our own fans. It was like a "ehhh" type hiring for many. Many people wanted the fame and big shot splash in Spagnuolo. I am ELATED over the Nolan hire. . .

I'm sure that's unbiased by your brother? lol

Guest TheIdowu

I know how much your bro is high on him, I can only assume that's it's been imparted to a degree. Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic as well tho.

I'm confused dude. . . . lol

Guest Gritz

I'm confused dude. . . . lol

I'm thinking he might be referring to Knight of God maybe?

Knight really digs Mike Nolan......and rightfully so.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82996226/article/which-former-head-coach-will-make-biggest-impact-as-assistant?module=HP11_content_stream

Ex-San Francisco head coach Mike Nolan taking over a defense in Atlanta that was conservative by nature. How will he fare implementing a more multi-faceted scheme?

Maybe its MS (philosophy) the pundits/analyst have no love for..personnel(TD) for a multi-faceted scheme?

Nolan's pedigree is an upgrade(sound hire), but maybe some believe he has an uphill battle that will limit his impact short-term.

Personally I loved the hire and I think our defense will be better but time will tell.

Was BVG out of his league using college principles in the NFL or was he implementing Mike Smith's principles and defensive scheme?

If so will Smith let Nolan so his own thing?

I hope it's the case where BVG was out of his league and the Falcons screwed up by keeping him around as long as they did and not get a DC with more NFL experience in the first place.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

Guest TheIdowu

I'm thinking he might be referring to Knight of God maybe?

Knight really digs Mike Nolan......and rightfully so.

Ohhhhh ooooook. (slow)

Guest TheIdowu

Personally I loved the hire and I think our defense will be better but time will tell.

Was BVG out of his league using college principles in the NFL or was he implementing Mike Smith's principles and defensive scheme?

If so will Smith let Nolan so his own thing?

I hope it's the case where BVG was out of his league and the Falcons screwed up by keeping him around as long as they did and not get a DC with more NFL experience in the first place.

WIll Smith LET??? What do you mean LET? Have you seen Nolan?!?!

I get your point, though, and hope it was just BVG's inexperience?