Will New Refs Be Under To Much Pressure?

Guest fibonacci

Well, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that all of the refs the NFL has fielded have been so great that they couldn't be replaced.

And as far as the regular refs being on top of everything, some of them couldn't even see holding calls much less potential injuries.

But I do agree that the replacements would be under tremendous pressure. There would be so little time to be trained, and they would be so closely scrutinized like you said. But somebody is gonna have to do it.

Heck, they might even let the teams play ball.

Since the ref job has expanded so much, maybe they ought to consider adding a couple of refs just to be med-refs whose ONLY job is to look out for potential serious injuries or concussions if they're so concerned about it. Then the other refs could concentrate on the game play.

Edited by rounz

Guest TheIdowu

Hopefully these guys are about 20 years younger than the group I have seen. . . . no disrespect to any older people here.

There are going to be some absolutely insane calls made ~ and missed ~ by these new officials. But considering that is already happening and has been happening for as long as I've been watching NFL football, the faces of the zebras will change, but the ClownShoe quality will remain the same. Frankly, I think it's a great idea to just "clean house" about every five or six years as I believe a lot of these refs begin to allow bias and home-crowd favoiritism into their decisions. And I wouldn't be shocked if some have taken cash to try to inflence the outcome of a game.

But to answer your question, no I don't believe they will be under too much pressure to not be able to handle their jobs. If anything, the fact that have no previous NFL experience may earn them at least a little patience.....as long as the mistakes they doesn't cost a team the game. Oh wait, that's also already been happening for decades, so never mind.

I understand that they will gather new ref hires quickly and let them get experience by letting them train at various NFL team practice fields whereby they can call scrimmages. Good idea? Remains to be seen. The striking union refs will no doubt settle the wage holdout before the season starts. The high end salary for seasoned ref would go to around $164k a season. Not bad for a half years work.

Guest Fibonacci

I believe there will be missed called and some wth calls.

But since these guys are coming off the streets watch for wrong hand signals.

But with the fans yelling and under the hood.....that is going to be scary to them.