• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we need it. Knowing what you can do gives u confidence, having confidence gives you a swagger. Confidence+controlled arrogance=swagger. Swagger bleeds to other teammates. You notice it when the team walks different and talks different and plays loose. That's swag and Zont(Asante) is bringing that to the team.

Edited by TheFatboi

Swagger is some term that a punk azz, with no life or future says to try an impress people. Reminds me of the old MD Collins day's. It's said by people who like to hear themselves talk and are self important, a sort of false bravado. I'm going to talk a bunch of ish so I must be all that.

Confidence is being able to talk smack and back it up. It's one thing to tell people you are going to bust them in the mouth and then do it. Swag is just saying you are going to do it, then saying it again, and again.

When is the last time you saw a winner with "swag"??? You don't. They are smart enough to talk when they need to and then back it up. After that you don't need to say anything. You act like you have done it before and are going to do it again.

I remember people questioning whether Sean Weatherspoon's mouth would make some teams avoid him in the draft, but he has demonstrated that this bravado was used in a fun, positive way, and it hasn't stopped him from getting his head down, fitting in, and contributing to a high standard. In fact, his outward confidence has probably put him in a position to take over the mantle of defensive leader from Lofton, and another factor in why the FO were prepared to let #50 walk.

I see much the same thing with Asante. So long as it is channeled in a positive manner, and to help the team bond and grow in confidence, then there is no harm in it. The important thing is that Samuel doesn't run his mouth to the press if things don't go his, or the team's way, but I'm hopeful that his experience will mean he stays professional.

BINGO!

I've hears so many ex players talk about how much of this game is mental. I don't care what it is you do in life; you have to be confident in your ability. This is after all, a game, despite the fact that it is a job for many. Have fun, talk it up, it’s not church, it’s not a board meeting. If your play is breaking the spirits of the other guy, and talking on top of it makes it worse for your opponent, then so be it. I don't know of anybody that was great at a game that others didn't fear. Jordan, Lawrence Taylor, Barry Bond, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong; people were intimidated and these guys were not say nothing, show no emotion type of people. You don't get to the level they were at by letting others do the talking for you or just letting your game speak for itself. You have to be driven, self motivated and **** close to cocky and arrogant.

Swagger is some term that a punk azz, with no life or future says to try an impress people. Reminds me of the old MD Collins day's. It's said by people who like to hear themselves talk and are self important, a sort of false bravado. I'm going to talk a bunch of ish so I must be all that.

Confidence is being able to talk smack and back it up. It's one thing to tell people you are going to bust them in the mouth and then do it. Swag is just saying you are going to do it, then saying it again, and again.

When is the last time you saw a winner with "swag"??? You don't. They are smart enough to talk when they need to and then back it up. After that you don't need to say anything. You act like you have done it before and are going to do it again.

Have to slightly disagree with you there. Drew Brees has a certain swag that comes from his confidence. U see it in pre game. Rogers has a swag, Peyton has a swag. U can physically see swagger without that person speaking. Swagger has nothing to do with words. Successful business men have a certain swagger. Lawyers etc.

Swagger has nothing to do with talking!! U don't have to say one word and have swagger or swag!! Brees has it, Peyton has it, Brady oozes it. It's like a Rythym in your body when the lights come on. Swagger intimidates. It makes others want it. And it's infectious. We haven't had it and we needed it.Talking is the bonus. Can't have a swagger without first having confidence and trust they are two different things. There's plenty of confident ppl that don't have "that swagger".

Edited by TheFatboi

Have to slightly disagree with you there. Drew Brees has a certain swag that comes from his confidence. U see it in pre game. Rogers has a swag, Peyton has a swag. U can physically see swagger without that person speaking. Swagger has nothing to do with words. Successful business men have a certain swagger. Lawyers etc.

Good point, but you can't expect a player to change when he is with the team and a camera catches him doing or saying something with the team. I think most people, especially on this board, define swag is the way a person talks or acts all the time. Look at Jordan. MJ was probably the most confident athlete ever. Every now and then you would catch him talking trash or jumping all over a team mate. He was arrogant, never thought he would fail and liked to talk on the court. I loved watching the NBA when he played. But, MJ didn't talk trash off the court. He was polite, said the right things and had some humility. Then he beat on the other teams like a red headed step child. I loved that attitude, but MJ did not have an ounce of swag. It was all talent, hard work and confidence. The NBA now a days is a joke. Kobe gets it, he just has a couple of other issues. Parker definitely gets it too.

Good point, but you can't expect a player to change when he is with the team and a camera catches him doing or saying something with the team. I think most people, especially on this board, define swag is the way a person talks or acts all the time. Look at Jordan. MJ was probably the most confident athlete ever. Every now and then you would catch him talking trash or jumping all over a team mate. He was arrogant, never thought he would fail and liked to talk on the court. I loved watching the NBA when he played. But, MJ didn't talk trash off the court. He was polite, said the right things and had some humility. Then he beat on the other teams like a red headed step child. I loved that attitude, but MJ did not have an ounce of swag. It was all talent, hard work and confidence. The NBA now a days is a joke. Kobe gets it, he just has a couple of other issues. Parker definitely gets it too.

Exactly. That's my point. When those lights come on so does the swag. If u look to an earlier post I made I ended with saying confidence+controlled arrogance=swagger

Swagger has nothing to do with talking!! U don't have to say one word and have swagger or swag!! Brees has it, Peyton has it, Brady oozes it. It's like a Rythym in your body when the lights come on. Swagger intimidates. It makes others want it. And it's infectious. We haven't had it and we needed it.Talking is the bonus. Can't have a swagger without first having confidence and trust they are two different things. There's plenty of confident ppl that don't have "that swagger".

I disagree with you there. Swagger means, or at least it use to mean, someone who talked a lot of trash. I dunno, the word has been around a while. Maybe its meaning has changed. It use to be a totally ghetto term, maybe not anymore. A lot of guys would be insulted if you said they had "swag", it use derogatory in some text as a person who would talk a good game.

Oh, the word swagger is not new. It means a boastful talk or bragging. It's origin is around the 15th or 16th century I believe and was originated in English literature. Usually before duels when one participant would talk about how good they were to get the other to quit before the duel started. The word basically means talking a bunch of trash before you have backed it up.

Guest TheIdowu

Exactly. That's my point. When those lights come on so does the swag. If u look to an earlier post I made I ended with saying confidence+controlled arrogance=swagger

The thing about is. . . swagger is not something you turn off or on. . . or even learn. . . .either you have it or you don't.

Guest TheIdowu

I disagree with you there. Swagger means, or at least it use to mean, someone who talked a lot of trash. I dunno, the word has been around a while. Maybe its meaning has changed. It use to be a totally ghetto term, maybe not anymore. A lot of guys would be insulted if you said they had "swag", it use derogatory in some text as a person who would talk a good game.

Oh, the word swagger is not new. It means a boastful talk or bragging. It's origin is around the 15th or 16th century I believe and was originated in English literature. Usually before duels when one participant would talk about how good they were to get the other to quit before the duel started. The word basically means talking a bunch of trash before you have backed it up.

I don't know what world this was in, but here swagger describes persona and aura. . . not trash talking or whatever "ghetto" connotation you say the reference had. I mean the word is in Webster's dictionary for crying out loud.

Edited by TheIdowu

You're older than me so I see where u come from but The word has taken new meaning. It's not just about talking trash. It's the way you walk, move, talk, look. I'm in the swagger age so I can only speak of what they mean when they say swagger now. I know you've heard announcers say "they're playing with a swagger now" but it has nothing to do with them talking trash.

I don't know what world this was in, but here swagger describes persona and aura. . . not trash talking or whatever "ghetto" connotation you say the reference had. I mean the word is in Webster's dictionary for crying out loud.

Beat me to it. That's what I was getting to when I said u can see it physically without speaking but I forgot how to spell aura for the moment. Trust me I know. I've had swag since I was knee high to a fly. I had it when I played football, track and baseball. Had it in school. Have it in music. I'm with you.

Guest Gritz

Whatever swagger means these days I don't know......

What I do know is that this team desperately needs an infusion of toughness....A toughness that starts with the coaches in the way they game plan...

A toughness that filters down to each and every man on this team.....That has each player thinking "I will beat the brakes off of whoever lines up against me today..."

I'm tired of this team being dictated to by the likes of the Saints and Packers of this world.

It's high time that they were tired of it also.

Let's try imposing our will for a change.

Edited by Gritz

swag·ger

v. swag·gered, swag·ger·ing, swag·gers

v.intr.

1. To walk or conduct oneself with an insolent or arrogant air; strut.

2. To brag; boast.

v.tr.

To browbeat or bully (someone).

n.

1. A swaggering movement or gait.

2. Boastful or conceited expression; braggadocio.

I dunno. I'm 42 and grew up on the south side of Atlanta. Pretty sure that I have never wanted to be part of a team that brags, boasts or conduct itself with an insolent or arrogant air.

And I do want the Falcon's to win. I want them to beat the other teams down and stand over their broken bodies and tell them they are going to do it again the next play. I just want them to have a little self respect when they do it. Maybe I'm old fashion. God, it hurts saying that when I'm only 42.

Whatever swagger means these days I don't know......

What I do know is that this team desperately needs an infusion of toughness....A toughness that starts with the coaches in the way they game plan...

A toughness that filters down to each and every man on this team.....That has each player thinking "I will beat the brakes off of whoever lines up against me today..."

I'm tired of this team being dictated to by the likes of the Saints and Packers of this world.

It's high time that they were tired of it also.

Having that swagger will bring all that with it Gritz. The saints and the packers have swagger. Nolan is bringing the toughness you seek tho. I was told by our friend Sunday evening. We're looking good out there he said.

Guest Gritz

Having that swagger will bring all that with it Gritz. The saints and the packers have swagger. Nolan is bringing the toughness you seek tho. I was told by our friend Sunday evening. We're looking good out there he said.

I like the way that sounds man. The hiring of Nolan got me more excited than R. Kelly being asked to give a urine sample.

swag·ger

v. swag·gered, swag·ger·ing, swag·gers

v.intr.

1. To walk or conduct oneself with an insolent or arrogant air; strut.

2. To brag; boast.

v.tr.

To browbeat or bully (someone).

n.

1. A swaggering movement or gait.

2. Boastful or conceited expression; braggadocio.

I dunno. I'm 42 and grew up on the south side of Atlanta. Pretty sure that I have never wanted to be part of a team that brags, boasts or conduct itself with an insolent or arrogant air.

And I do want the Falcon's to win. I want them to beat the other teams down and stand over their broken bodies and tell them they are going to do it again the next play. I just want them to have a little self respect when they do it. Maybe I'm old fashion. God, it hurts saying that when I'm only 42.

Wow. Confidence+controlled arrogance=swagger. I was on point. You can have swagger and have self respect.