Yasinskas: Falcons Backup Qb Plan

theProf

Falcons: Backup QB plan

Jun 5 12:00 PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Assessing the Falcons’ backup QB situation if Matt Ryan is injured and misses time.

The Falcons are very content with Chris Redman as their backup. His veteran presence and willingness to serve as a mentor has aided in Matt Ryan’s development from the start. Although Redman has played only sparingly in the Ryan years, he’s taken thousands of practice snaps and sat through countless meetings. He knows the offense as well as Ryan and has the respect of his teammates. If Ryan were to go down with a short-term injury, the Falcons firmly believe Redman could do a nice job of finishing a game or even starting a few games. He’d be surrounded by a star-studded cast at the skill positions, so there isn’t likely to be a huge drop off. But, if Ryan were to suffer a long-term injury, that could cause some problems. Although he came into the league in 2000, Redman has made only two career starts. Redman can’t make all the throws Ryan can, so the Falcons would have to scale back their offense if Redman has to play more than a few games.

Assessing the Falcons’ backup QB situation if Matt Ryan is injured and misses time.

The Falcons are very content with Chris Redman as their backup. His veteran presence and willingness to serve as a mentor has aided in Matt Ryan’s development from the start. Although Redman has played only sparingly in the Ryan years, he’s taken thousands of practice snaps and sat through countless meetings. He knows the offense as well as Ryan and has the respect of his teammates. If Ryan were to go down with a short-term injury, the Falcons firmly believe Redman could do a nice job of finishing a game or even starting a few games. He’d be surrounded by a star-studded cast at the skill positions, so there isn’t likely to be a huge drop off. But, if Ryan were to suffer a long-term injury, that could cause some problems. Although he came into the league in 2000, Redman has made only two career starts. Redman can’t make all the throws Ryan can, so the Falcons would have to scale back their offense if Redman has to play more than a few games.

There are a few passes that Redman can make that Ryan can't, though. He has much better touch on his deep passes. Ryan will get there I believe but he still struggles with that.

Guest TheIdowu

If the Falcons are serious about winning, I think we need to bring a legitimate #2. I mean who knows if Ryan will get injured for a long period. Does anyone really think that Redman can step up and lead this team.

THis has been my concern since end of the 2009 season.

Guest TheIdowu

How did you come up with this crap?

Imho, it's true; especially the part about "better touch than Ryan on deep passes". Ryan is the better overall QB, yes, but don't get your drawers in a wad because some feel this way.

Guest TheIdowu

Ryan has a problem throwing deep, but JPW has a better deep ball than Chris Redman.

Ok ,and your point.

Captain Obvious strikes again

With all full set of picks in this years draft we may see the Falcons draft a QB that has potential in one of the middle rounds. But then again if we do that, all of the anti Ryan fans will just start rumors that the new QB is there to replace him, instead of being his long term back up. I do agree with the point the Kellen Moore may have been worth a 7th round, I am surprised that no one drafted him being on the board the whole time.

Chris Redman has only 2 career starts? LMAO! Ok. WRONG!

PK again showing he knows absolutely nothing about the Falcons. He's all Saints all the time.

Chris Redman has only 2 career starts? LMAO! Ok. WRONG! PK again showing he knows absolutely nothing about the Falcons. He's all Saints all the time.

Well if you don't count Baltimore and 2007 then he does only have 2 career starts...

I'm getting old because I remember the days they actually used to research and verify stuff like this.

I don't know if Redman has a better deep ball, but he does have more of a willingness to go deep. When he came in, in 2009 he went deep a lot more often than Ryan, but I also remember him taking some big shots and thinking, thats why Ryan rarely goes deep. And in all honesty I can't think of too many teams that could lose their qb and still compete for the playoffs. The only teams I can think of all have elite defenses.

If the Falcons are serious about winning, I think we need to bring a legitimate #2. I mean who knows if Ryan will get injured for a long period. Does anyone really think that Redman can step up and lead this team.

No as we saw in 09, I also wanted them to bring in a tight end to learn under Tony.

Guest TheIdowu

H3LL Naw!!! Fail to plan...and you plan to fail. That's all I gotta say about having a backup (that can win) to the most important position on the team.

Yea, I have been waiting on us to do TWO secondary things since 2010 while all the primary stuff was going on: Updgrade Redman and find a TE to groom under Gonzo. . . . .

Edited by TheIdowu

Sorry I can't be more supportive of Redman, but the Falcons are going nowhere near the play-offs with Redman at QB. As poorly as the OL has been the past few years and as humble as Redman's performances have been when he was in the game, I can't comprehend why the FO hasn't made a much more serious move to upgrade our back-up QB position.