My 2013 First Round Pick

Te'o is an exceptional prospect, but we've got far more pressing needs than taking a SLB in the 1st. It hurts me to say this more than you know because for years I've been the guy clamoring for a stud SLB to team with Spoon and then Lofton at the time to give us an amazing LB trio. I still think we could really use one, but with Nolan our base defense is going to be nickel and we have Nicholas as a solid 2nd LB next to Spoon in that formation. We also have the developing and underrated Akeem Dent who tore up the SEC and my sleeper promising rookie Jerrell Harris from Bama who is a SLB.

We absolutely need a DT, TE, DE, and RB next year. I believe we may address RB via FA because we've had success via that path before (Jonathan Stewart please baby Jesus), but we still desperately need a stud DT as our most pressing defensive need. If Baker flames out and Holmes doesn't step up we will also badly need a LT, and if a top WR is available he may be too good to pass up as a replacement for Roddy down the line (Keenan Allen if he has a down year, Robert Woods, or the two WRs from -- WRs don't tend to go early like the top 2 are projected right now unless they are Calvin, AJ Green, or Julio Jones). OG could also be a huge need when we move Konz to center if no one else steps up.

Last year I desperately wanted Martez Wilson early and this year I really wanted Nigel Bradham in the mid rounds, but alas we never took a SLB. If Nicholas has a bad year and no one else steps up, i coul see LB being a priority for us. Spoon and Te'o as the two LBs inside our base nickel defense would be outstanding. I just think the hogs in front of the LBs are more important considering our two most recent additions to DT have been two 7th rounders over the last few seasons ( Walker and Robertson) and they are being relied on heavily right now. Star, Hankins, or Jenkins would really change our defense, and possibly Short but I'm not that high on the Boilermaker. If we sign Glenn Dorsey as a FA then maybe we can go LB in the 1st.......but even then the DE talent is too much to ignore when we can move up in the 2nd for a good LB.

The only way this might happen is if both Tatapu and Dent are both terrible this season, and even then maybe not.

I realy think it's more about Nicholas. Our MLB is going to be a thumper who comes off the field on passing downs in our nickel D -- Dent or Lofa will be just fine at that.

Spoon is a stud, but if Nicholas falters and is the weak spot of our back 7 then he has to go. We need two complete LBs who can tackle and cover. I'm always down on Nich, but if he plays well we'll be set for a little at LB. If not, moving up for Te'o could be a good move. A sleeper stud here is Jonathan Brown from Illinois -- he profiles a lot like a Sean Weatherspoon type who flys sideline to sideline and can make all sorts of plays. He be an early entrant as a junior next year but at 6'1, 235 lbs and with 4.45 speed he had: 108 tackles with 20.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks, four passes broken up, with a forced fumble and an interception as a true sophomore. He was tied for eighth in college football in tackles for a loss. As a freshman, he had 31 tackles with an interception and forced fumble. As he adds strength he is only going to get better and better f that's possible. He wouldn't be your classic SLB, but this would be a lot like having the SF duo as our two LBs in nickel sets. Spoon and Brown could be as good as Willis and Bowman and we probably wouldn't need to move up for Brown.

I can't see us going LB early, but I really like Zaviar Gooden from Mizzou as a later round pick. He was Spoons replacement at Mizzou, and plays the game in the same manner. He's every bit the athlete that Spoon is as well.

Has he come anywhere close to matching Spoon's production?

For the record I agree with you, but Brown could be there in the 2nd round since the pass rushing OLBs and Te'o will get taken first. It is a weak 4-3 LB class though, and brown could be taken in the 1st as the #2 true LB.

I'd love to see us get a DT in the 1st and stud safety in the 2nd like Rambo, Ray Ray, or If he falls, Reid. Also wouldn't mind doubling up at DT. We could feasibly get Star in the 1st round and Jon Jenkins in the 2nd round round. We'd have a great duo for a long long time and fix a trouble spot for a decade.

Edited by The Dirty Bird

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of drafting a 4-3 SLB in the 1st unless it's an Aaron Curry or Von Miller type. I wouldn't have minded us taking a gamble on Bruce Irvin, but other than that, I believe you should wait to find those guys later.

I'd like to see us target a DT, RB, or TE in the 1st. Preferrably the BPA out of those positions.

Has he come anywhere close to matching Neown's production? For the record I agree with you, but Brown could be there in the 2nd round since the pass rushing OLBs and Te'o will get taken first. It is a weak 4-3 LB class though, and brown could be taken in the 1st as the #2 true LB. I'd love to see us get a DT in the 1st and stud safety in the 2nd like Rambo, Ray Ray, or If he falls, Reid. Also wouldn't mind doubling up at DT. We could feasibly get Star in the 1st round and Jon Jenkins in the 2nd round round. We'd have a great duo for a long long time and fix a trouble spot for a decade.

I completely missed this.

Just so I'm clear, I love Brown as a prospect and the Spoon comparison is a good one, but I can't see us going LB early. As such, Gooden, who could go 2-3 rounds after Brown, would be good value. He is a great athlete similar to Brown and has a similar playing style.

I'm thinking OT or DE will be the first pick based on how the board is looking. The safety position through rounds 2-4 will also be strong.

We're not drafting consecutive back to back OTs with top 100 picks.

I have our first trimmed down to 3 positions. TE, DE, DT. Out of the 3 I think TE is the most likely followed by DT than DE.

DE is so deep in this draft we could end up getting one of the athletic freaks like Hunt, Gholston, or Okafor in the 2nd. Also everyone knows TD is huge on athleticism so those are the guys I would look for at End. on DT Kawann Short and Akeem Spence could be be there at our pick. Both guys are extremely promising players. Johnathon Hankins could be there as well. Deeper John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers could both be available at the 2nd and 3rd.

TE our options are Eifert, Fauria, Ertz, and Toilolo from this point.

If you put a gun to my head I'd say Eifert at this point, but it's a bit early.

Also I don't think Safety is an option in this draft. I believe we will go the FA route on this one. Patrick Chung and Louis Delmas are both FAs and could slip away and be had for rather cheap.

I have our first trimmed down to 3 positions. TE, DE, DT. Out of the 3 I think TE is the most likely followed by DT than DE.

DE is so deep in this draft we could end up getting one of the athletic freaks like Hunt, Gholston, or Okafor in the 2nd. Also everyone knows TD is huge on athleticism so those are the guys I would look for at End. on DT Kawann Short and Akeem Spence could be be there at our pick. Both guys are extremely promising players. Johnathon Hankins could be there as well. Deeper John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers could both be available at the 2nd and 3rd.

Also I don't think Safety is an option in this draft. I believe we will go the FA route on this one. Patrick Chung and Louis Delmas are both FAs and could slip away and be had for rather cheap.

If we draft a TE early next year and it isn't CJ Fiedorowicz I will flip a major, major ****. Every other TE in college football right now has good potential. They all remind me of guys like Coby Fleener and Kyle Rudolph.

C.J. has All-Pro potential. Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham....that's the level this kid will be on by Year 2 in the NFL. They will be the best 3 in the NFL for a long time, you can go to the bank with it. If we don't make a FA or trade move for a TE, I'm hoping we go for CJ. Don't care if we move up for him if he declares.....he's the kind of guy that along with Julio Jones will ensure that Matt Ryan and our offense will be a force for a long time. Eifert, Ertz, etc.....they'd okay. They could move the chains if Julio isn't open or Roddy is covered. But CJ.....that kid will make game breaking plays on a weekly basis.

Talking about drafting any other TE while CJ is in college or available in the draft will really rub me the wrong way. Why settle for a "good" prospect when we can get the an absolute stud. I'm against using a 1st on a TE because I don't think Koetter needs one in his offense, but if he does then we have to go for him especially if the stud DTs and DEs are taken.

That's your opinion, but baker and svitek are both FA in 2013 and if neither step up this year, then I guarantee we will use one of our 1st three picks on an OT.

That's your opinion, but baker and svitek are both FA in 2013 and if neither step up this year, then I guarantee we will use one of our 1st three picks on an OT.

That's all great but we aren't taking a backup OT in the first three rounds again, we'd probably sign one.

That's all great but we aren't taking a backup OT in the first three rounds again, we'd probably sign one.

If we don't get good results from our OT's this season, then I'm quite confident that will be a position that will be high on our draft board. I doubt we go the FA option, unless we make some substantial cuts next season, because we'll have quite a few guys looking at some big paydays next season.

If we don't get good results from our OT's this season, then I'm quite confident that will be a position that will be high on our draft board. I doubt we go the FA option, unless we make some substantial cuts next season, because we'll have quite a few guys looking at some big paydays next season.

We will also have a lot of guys retiring/being cut due to age.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...