With The Very Little Depth At Lb's , I Wonder If They'd Bring Back Peterson

Tuggle'2

i would bring him back for vet min. dude has skills and the right attitude, he is just getting old and can't be depended on to play alot. i think he could play really good if used sparingly in special packages and add depth.

Yea man , this was exactly what I was thinking.Could pay him for little, and bring his presence back into the locker room would do wonders for the younger guys. I really liked him.

Yea man , this was exactly what I was thinking.Could pay him for little, and bring his presence back into the locker room would do wonders for the younger guys. I really liked him.

i really liked him too. he was just nearing the downswing of his career when we picked him up. he played solid, but not spectacular. i think he could still play solid as a back-up. plus, he knows most of the locker room and has enough experience to adapt to different schemes.

He hasn't officially retired yet. Did he have some sort of injury at the end of last season? I remember reading about him saying something in an interview a few months ago, that said something along the lines him wanting to play another year if he can recover and his body will let him.

Im sure that he wouldn't be wanting to get paid more than vet minimum, its not like he would be getting a lot of other offers else where, and would be a solid back up for us. I think that whether we bring him back or not depends on how many current DE's Nolan plans on using as 3-4 OLB's.

He hasn't officially retired yet. Did he have some sort of injury at the end of last season? I remember reading about him saying something in an interview a few months ago, that said something along the lines him wanting to play another year if he can recover and his body will let him.

Im sure that he wouldn't be wanting to get paid more than vet minimum, its not like he would be getting a lot of other offers else where, and would be a solid back up for us. I think that whether we bring him back or not depends on how many current DE's Nolan plans on using as 3-4 OLB's.

Mike P. tore his triceps last season. That's a long, hard recovery at any age. I suspect that youth will win out.

This ^

Although he did play well in the limited snaps he got. He still has some playmaking in him and is a great leader. He is also the leader of D-Block too lol

One of things about last season that really pissed me off was when his pick6 was taken back..... Bastards1!

Our base defense is now a nickel defense which utilizes three cornerbacks and two linebackers -- so as compared to last year we will be "thinner" at LB and "deeper" at CB. We only need 5 LBs since we'll be using two LBs most of the time and occasionally 3. Those 5 should be: Sean Weatherspoon, Stephen Nicholas, Akeem Dent, Lofa Tatupu, Spencer Adkins and possibly one more on the active roster if a guy like Jerrell Harris shines in OTAs and training camp -- but he can be stashed on the PS. Top 3 are probably Spoon, Nich, and Lofa with the top reserve as Dent who can play MLB and SLB. Adkins can play MLB and WLB in passing packages as well. That's all we need.

At CB, we need 6-7 because we'll be using 3 mainly and 4 a chunk of the time. Brent Grimes, Asante Samuel, Dunta Robinson, Dominique Franks, Chris Owens, Darrin Walls are the sure fire keepers with Franks being the dime back and first one up if one of the top 3 guys misses any time. A 7th guy could be brought in after teams make first cuts because we don't really have anyone after that, but it's very possible we keep 6 CBs and use an extra roster spot on a 5th safety/special teamer like Shann Schillinger and Chad Faulcon who would be the 4th and 5th safeties respectively.

We're plenty fine at LB. Listing it out like that, our defense and primarily our base nickel package with Spoon and Nicholas at LB with Grimes, Asante, Dunta, DeCoud, and Moore in the secondary could be absolutely awesome. Then you have Abe rushing from RDE, Ray rushing from LDE, Babs at DT, and Peters/Jerry/Robertson at DT and that's also nice. Perhaps Ray will kick in to DT next to Babs and we can get Massaquoia or Biermann at DE opposite Abe....that has awesome potential.

depth is not the problem

2 starter return Weatherspoon Nicholas

1 new Vet Tatupu

4 backups return Dent, Adkins, James, Hansen

4 new guys Gruder, Council, Schiller, Harris

that 11 LBs

the problem is experience --- only 3 have much of that

Peterson might still have most of his skills but does he still have any of his speed?

Edited by delaigle

Well, we wouldn't have thi s problem if Lofton was still here

Although I thought Lofton was a very good very effective MLB, it must be that Nolan wanted something different or Lofton would still be here. I can't see the FO getting rid of Lofton if the brand new highly regarded DC said Keep him.