Roddy White On Koetter & The Offense

http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

Look for more 5 receiver sets this year.

FO did a WR formation analysis on teams in the NFL on their success rate and ranking when going from 1 to 5 WR sets in 2010.

You wouldn't guess where the falcons ranked when they used 4-5 WR sets in 2010.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/formation-analysis-number-wrs-part-1

do they mean tony g will be spread out wide? i cant see taking our hall of fame tight end with the surest hands on the team out for a kerry meier or cone or whoever makes the 5th spot

Tony will probably be in the slot and meier or either of the rodgers brothers or snelling will be lined up out wide as well.

25 Aug 2008

Hmm...We can't seem to find that

The page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again. If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact webmaster@footballoutsiders.com with the URL.

Posted by: admin on 25 Aug 2008

I'm sorry about that. I was just on that site this morning.

WR1 Slot Line Slot Slot WR2

Roddy White Harry Douglas Tony Gonzalez Kerry Meier/Kevin Cone Julio Jones

More men in coverage also alleviates some pressure off the the line. More screen passes and quick outs will make defenses stay accountable. Mattys not the most mobile qb but I can see pros and cons.

Edited by razrtalon

do they mean tony g will be spread out wide? i cant see taking our hall of fame tight end with the surest hands on the team out for a kerry meier or cone or whoever makes the 5th spot

Lol why can't Tony come off the field for a speedier WR? I love Tony and yes he is great, but if a Roddy, Julio, HD, Meier, Cone/Pearcy/Calvin formation is better, then run it. You guys are too loyal to nothing. Tony would not be hurt if he wasn't in on every single 5 Wide set. It's just like having Turner in the formation on 5 Wide because you didn't want to take him out the game.

More men in coverage also alleviates some pressure off the the line. More screen passes and quick outs will make defenses stay accountable. Mattys not the most mobile qb but I can see pros and cons.

Can the Line protect Ryan for 5 WR set, Even with a RB or two in the backfield the defenders were mugging Ryan all season long. I am doubtful about this when the OL gave up 7th most QB hits in the NFL.

Can the Line protect Ryan for 5 WR set, Even with a RB or two in the backfield the defenders were mugging Ryan all season long. I am doubtful about this when the OL gave up 7th most QB hits in the NFL.

Yes when they have to concern with screens and other misdirection that would burn them if they just pinned upfield. HeIl even a quick slant could be a 10 yard gain and take less than 2 seconds to throw.

Yes when they have to concern with screens and other misdirection that would burn them if they just pinned upfield. HeIl even a quick slant could be a 10 yard gain and take less than 2 seconds to throw.

So far LT position is not stellar or deep in our line up, I hope pat hill changes all that but i think more receivers/ wideouts plays more to our strengths with the problems we had last year.

Agreed, but last year on some of the plays, Ryan didn't even get 2 seonds, Ryan was hit just as he was getting ready to throw. Screens should 100% help out though, but in 5 WR set the OL should atleast win one on one matchups.

It's cool man... I was just disappointed, so where did the Falcons rate?

google formation analysis: number of WRs part 1. You should see it say exactly that. If not I'm at work so I would have to give you a more detailed version when I'm at home.

They ranked 4th,

but they only utilized the 4-5 WR sets with a 45.1 % success rate in 2010 6% of the time, but when they did use it, they murdered teams with it.

Two games I can think of where they utilized it a lot was the Ravens and Packers game. I could have the understanding of those stats backwards so i hope you can find it to correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed, but last year on some of the plays, Ryan didn't even get 2 seonds, Ryan was hit just as he was getting ready to throw. Screens should 100% help out though, but in 5 WR set the OL should atleast win one on one matchups.

If the DLine has to think even slightly about a screen or misdirection, it helps the OLine. Just look at the Eagles game in 2009 when they were down half their OLine and still scored 21 on our defense in the first quarter with Kolb. It was pure misdirection and screens.

Another example: 2011 Packers game. First half, we ran all new plays and Ryan wasn't touched once. We went up 14-0. The Packers couldn't figure out what we were doing and attack it. They thought they had us when we lined up in the rollout formation but MM changed it to a rollout backside screen that went for a big play. Nothing fancy, it just used the Packers aggression against them and tamed that defense quickly. We went back to the same plays that we always ran and the Packers knew and they capitalized, shutting the offense out in the second half.

Nobody is going to convince me it was solely the OLine when we scored points with it and other teams did better with worse. Konz isn't going to change the OLine single handedly. He plays one position. So when the offense is better this year, you won't be able to convince me that Konz will be the big reason. He will only solidify 1 spot on a 5 man OLine. MM had a solid OLine from 08-10 with Dahl. We are going to see this offense do things we never seen before.

If the DLine has to think even slightly about a screen or misdirection, it helps the OLine. Just look at the Eagles game in 2009 when they were down half their OLine and still scored 21 on our defense in the first quarter with Kolb. It was pure misdirection and screens.

Another example: 2011 Packers game. First half, we ran all new plays and Ryan wasn't touched once. We went up 14-0. The Packers couldn't figure out what we were doing and attack it. They thought they had us when we lined up in the rollout formation but MM changed it to a rollout backside screen that went for a big play. Nothing fancy, it just used the Packers aggression against them and tamed that defense quickly. We went back to the same plays that we always ran and the Packers knew and they capitalized, shutting the offense out in the second half.

Nobody is going to convince me it was solely the OLine when we scored points with it and other teams did better with worse. Konz isn't going to change the OLine single handedly. He plays one position. So when the offense is better this year, you won't be able to convince me that Konz will be the big reason. He will only solidify 1 spot on a 5 man OLine. MM had a solid OLine from 08-10 with Dahl. We are going to see this offense do things we never seen before.

Like said I agree, Predicatable play calling probably didn't hep the OL. The GB and Gaints players said "We knew what Falcons were going to do" after the pay off wins. But OL especially right guard still need to win one on one matchups most of the times if not all the time.

The only reason i disagree with you is because i do think one guy can make a big difference on an O-Line in a good or bad way... I looked at a couple of our games during the weekend... Good lawd Reynolds was getting beatttttttttttttt ... That Philly game was rough to watch for Matt.... I think fixing the RG position is big for us.. That was truly the position i think needed help the most... I think fixing one bad spot can make the whole group look better.

I liked Dahl and the nastiness he brought but i didnt think he was a world beater...

I agree with the play calling... That piss me off also... We were creative at the beginning of the Packers game

The only reason i disagree with you is because i do think one guy can make a big difference on an O-Line in a good or bad way... I looked at a couple of our games during the weekend... Good lawd Reynolds was getting beatttttttttttttt ... That Philly game was rough to watch for Matt.... I think fixing the RG position is big for us.. That was truly the position i think needed help the most... I think fixing one bad spot can make the whole group look better.

I liked Dahl and the nastiness he brought but i didnt think he was a world beater...

I agree with the play calling... That piss me off also... We were creative at the beginning of the Packers game

But adding Konz is not going to take this OLine from trash to treasure in terms of screens. One player doesn't all of a sudden make them equipped with the personnel that MM thought we lacked. Yes I do agree that having the RG spot solidified, Clabo, McClure and even Blalock will look better. But it is impossible for the offense to look 10x better with adding only 1 piece and say the prior OC was using everything he had.

I agree with you. The reason the Eagles did fine when Dunlap started was because they could slide all their protections to that side. We only had 2 lineman that could hold up on a consistent basis last year. Having a reliable RG can make a huge difference and allow us to scheme protections to cover up our weaknesses on the line.

google formation analysis: number of WRs part 1. You should see it say exactly that. If not I'm at work so I would have to give you a more detailed version when I'm at home. They ranked 4th, but they only utilized the 4-5 WR sets with a 45.1 % success rate in 2010 6% of the time, but when they did use it, they murdered teams with it. Two games I can think of where they utilized it a lot was the Ravens and Packers game. I could have the understanding of those stats backwards so i hope you can find it to correct me if I'm wrong.

first quarter and 1/2 of packers game